What is this hose? Leaking…

There’s a hose under the counter and among electrical and furnace, that has a shutoff valve and is open ended. Previous owner doesn’t know what it’s for, only that it would leak and he put a white pan to catch water. It overflowed, and I’ve turned the valve off… What’s that hose for?
Pic included, and thanks for your help!IMG_3869.jpeg

Bogie

Looks like the siphon hose used to winterize the plumbing with antifreeze. It should not leak under normal conditions.

The shutoff valve may not be working properly, or a back flow valve not sealing completely.

Thanks both. Valve was open when leaking, and is off now. Wanted to make sure it was safe to leave closed. :)
glad I know that that is now!

rhodies1

Yes. It’s stays closed until you do your winterization. Open the valve, stick it in a jug of antifreeze and suck product through your lines. Then close

jerryjay11

I noticed that your gray ducting isn't connected to the heater, and it is a bit longer than needed there. If it were me, I'd cut it down which may help in air flow.

rhodies1

As Jerryjay11 eluded to. You need to connect that hose duct to the furnace. It does appear long . Check it for size and maybe cut off a few inches. The more direct your hose is leaving the furnace, the better the air flow.