What Size Socket for Lugs on 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD

jwalker1

I can't find anywhere in the owners guide what size lugs are on the wheels of this unit. I know I had a mobile RV repairman come and change out a tire once and he had to go and buy a new deep well socket. I just can't remember what size it was. I need this so I can check the torque of the wheels while we're on our trip to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Black Hills and back to San Antonio.....Thanks folks for any assistance you can provide. Oh and what should the wheels be torqued at?

Rodbuster

Don't know if it's the same as the Key Largo, but "if" it is, it would be a 7/8 socket and 120 pounds of torque.

Why not try putting a socket on the lug and see what you come up with?

jwalker1

Thanks Rodbuster, I have tried everything I have in the tool box to no avail. I was wondering if someone else with a triple axle cyclone might know the right size. The guy who replaced my tire last May had to buy an additional socket because he didn't have anything large enough. He said he thought he had a socket to fit any fifth wheel and it didn't work. I am wondering if the 1 1/16 socket that I bought for the Hot Water Heater Anode would fit?

porthole

Retired
22mm. Get an impact version. These are stronger sockets and don't flex when torquing.

I have a lot of tools, former auto tech, but I ended up buying this socket anyway, as the 22mm deep socket I had from years ago wasn't deep enough.

I have gotten several sockets through northerntools.com, good price and the quality is good enough for what we are doing.
The Northern tools version is also deep enough so that the whole lug nut is covered instead of only half. Many deep sockets have a recess inside that will not allow coverage of a 1.5" long lug.

While you are at it, get a 2 or 4 inch 1/2" drive "impact" extension.

CactusTwo

7/8" long socket, check torque regularly as they DO loosen up on aluminum rims....an ounce of prevention....ummm saves you one lost in the ditch

porthole

Retired
7/8" may work, but at least on mine, 22mm is a better fit. 7/8" is slightly bigger then 22mm (7/8 = 22.225 mm)
Better fit = better looking lug nuts over the long haul.

Forgot to add this link before.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200354048_200354048

Trailer: Using the deep socket and a 1.5" extension is long enough for my wheels to be at a comfortable angle for torquing the lugs.

Truck: I use a 10" impact extension to torque the trucks DRW lugs.

And when I can find them at a reasonable enough price, I will give "torque stick extensions" a try.
They were just coming out in the automotive field when I left that career, never gave them much though then.
Think about it every time I torque the wheels on the truck to 165 foot pounds now.

Just looked at your signature and see your truck - that is a 13/16" socket

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
A 22mm works on my 5,200 and 6,000lbs axles, I think yours are 6000lbs. I found a 6 point thin wall impact is the only socket that fits. (a heavyduty 22mm impact won't fit)