What to do if your electric awning motor goes out?

campfire7

I was just wondering , What can I if I am out on a camping trip and my electric awning goes out and I can't roll the awning in. This has not happened yet, its just one of the things I am concerned about, Is there a manual crank that you can use to close the awning?

rxbristol

In my owners manual there are directions on how to manually roll up the awning. You should have been given a type of strap that will help with the job. Included in these directions are troubleshooting tips and other techniques.

I was just wondering , What can I if I am out on a camping trip and my electric awning goes out and I can't roll the awning in. This has not happened yet, its just one of the things I am concerned about, Is there a manual crank that you can use to close the awning?

Last edited:

sengli

The awning is spring tensioned to want to roll "up" by design. I have seen u tube videos, where there is a pin you remove to dis-engage the motor drive. Then the awning wants to by spring tension, roll up and stay, might not be locked though. Most likely varies by model.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the manual, it's a two person operation to roll up an electric awning manually. One person holds the strap while the other removes the pin from the motor end of the roller. Otherwise, the force of the awning rolling up when you pull the pin may knock you off the ladder. Once you have to roll it up manually, it's no longer useable until you get the motor problem fixed.

When my motor failed, it was already rolled up and would not extend. Couple of clicks and then nothing. Had to have the motor replaced (warranty).

rhodies1

The awning is spring tensioned to want to roll "up" by design. I have seen u tube videos, where there is a pin you remove to dis-engage the motor drive. Then the awning wants to by spring tension, roll up and stay, might not be locked though. Most likely varies by model.

My awning motor failed on me this summer in the open position....,it is a 2 person job but you must remove the 2 screws on the right side of the awning when facing the unit.My instructions say to remove only one but my cousins unit states to remove two,,,you should keep a good supply of long good quality cable ties in your tool box, it does not stay tight against your unit,you will need to cable tie it closed.Also Dometic has an online video on how to install new motor,it's a piece of cake,took approx 10 minutes to install.It took longer to get ladder and drill then it did to install. Follow instructions as stated..

campfire7

Thanks everyone I will look into these videos doesn't sound like it would a bad deal as long as you have a ladder.

Bones

This is good info to know. I just experienced my motor having an issue rolling back up on our last trip. I may just be proactive and order a new motor. Do any of you know if I have to have the model number of the old motor to order?