What truck/hp do I need for pulling Cyclone 3612?

scottyb

I agree. Something must be wrong with Mattpop's truck considering he is only pulling a 300C. My F350 handles the 4100 very well, and last time I weighed it, I was over 17K on the axles, so do the math. I have been in some real mountains with it and long 8% grades. It handle it better than the 07 Duramax / Allison for sure. I pulled the same rig with both trucks over the same mountain passes.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Keep in mind there is only 2000lbs between a load 300C and a 4100. Not really much to notice.

The only problem with my pickup is I believe I expected more from it. To say you can't notice a 5th wheel behind a pickup is a very bold statement. I notice a difference with my empty 18' utility trailer. I sure as heck notice there is 15,500lbs behind me. There is nothing the same about a empty pickup vs any weight behind them.

My old dodge made 1400ftlbs at the wheels. I noticed a difference with my utility trailer. But it could ripe the guts out of a trailer if you wanted to.

But the next time you are pulling any decent hill or grade with your Ford 6.7 and it downshifts. Try to accelerate, I doubt you will be able to. At the best you will just be able to maintain speed.

But this is why I believe Ford did so poorly in the towing challenage fir DPM. It was 10minutes slower then Dodge through the mountain passes. They can't handle the load on inclines like they should with 800ftlbs pushing it. How they tow is what I would expect from a 600ftlb engine.

But if I could turn the torque management off that would probably make all the difference on this Ford.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I routinely accelerate and pass trucks and other slow moving vehicles when climbing grades. It's not a problem. And when I say I hardly notice the load I mean it still accelerates much better than my 2008 6.4 did with a much lighter trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbryan

My towing experience with my fairly heavy Cyclone is like most of the rest here. I put the truck in tow haul mode and can accelerate up 7 and 8% grades without any issues. Frankly, I I've been pleasantly surprised at how much grunt this truck has. I was concerned about the 3.55 rear end being too high but it seems to be a perfect match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Miltp920

My towing experience with my fairly heavy Cyclone is like most of the rest here. I put the truck in tow haul mode and can accelerate up 7 and 8% grades without any issues. Frankly, I I've been pleasantly surprised at how much grunt this truck has. I was concerned about the 3.55 rear end being too high but it seems to be a perfect match.

What is your Tow vehicle? Not in your signature. 3795 is three axle 18,000 lbs?

Last edited by a moderator:

sbryan

What is your Tow vehicle? Not in your signature. 3795 is three axle 18,000 lbs?

My truck is a Ford F350 lariat ultimate, 2013 with the 6.7. Cyclone 3795 is a triple, GVW 18k. Over the scales loaded to travel we weigh 17k with 2 motorcycles on board.

Miltp920

Those Ford Lariats are very nice. I am sure the ultimate is a nice trim package. Thanks for info.

Birchwood

Its simple you are exceeding the GVWR of your truck.No matter how many add ons (chips) you are still overloaded.

TacoTom

Wow! Have not hooked up to my 2014 Cyclone 3800 yet, but based on the comments from earlier post on simalar threads, I am relieved that I purchased a 2014 Ram with the 6.7 I6 Turbo Cummins Diesel along with Heavy Duty Asian Transmission, now to balance things out I ordered the truck with 4:10 rear ends, I hope i didn't go overkill on the rears, but I live in Mountainous country here in Western Canada. I figured what ever i lose for top end speed from the rear end gear ratio, i will make up with the 6th speed tranny...oh yea from the advice i recieved here i also got a set of ultimate 5000 Air Lift airbags for the rear suspension....wish me luck we hook up to the new rig in 3 weeks for its shake down trip!

alex00

Tom, we have the same Ram (assuming you have DRW) and have no problems pulling my Cyclone. You'll be impressed with how easily it pulls, especially uphill. Enjoy dragging that trailer around. I was running about 45-50 PSI in my airbags with an empty trailer and felt it was a great ride.

Wow! Have not hooked up to my 2014 Cyclone 3800 yet, but based on the comments from earlier post on simalar threads, I am relieved that I purchased a 2014 Ram with the 6.7 I6 Turbo Cummins Diesel along with Heavy Duty Asian Transmission, now to balance things out I ordered the truck with 4:10 rear ends, I hope i didn't go overkill on the rears, but I live in Mountainous country here in Western Canada. I figured what ever i lose for top end speed from the rear end gear ratio, i will make up with the 6th speed tranny...oh yea from the advice i recieved here i also got a set of ultimate 5000 Air Lift airbags for the rear suspension....wish me luck we hook up to the new rig in 3 weeks for its shake down trip!

TacoTom

Hey Alex, yes I have the DRW, i figured pulling a big monster CY3800 behind me I figured i needed that...I am glad to hear that the Ram performs well for you. Did you have the 4:10 rear end gears too?

487577_10151612055273132_1224877138_n.jpg

Tom, we have the same Ram (assuming you have DRW) and have no problems pulling my Cyclone. You'll be impressed with how easily it pulls, especially uphill. Enjoy dragging that trailer around. I was running about 45-50 PSI in my airbags with an empty trailer and felt it was a great ride.

TacoTom

Hey Alex...one more question to ask if I can....i just ordered the Ram 20K 5th wheel Hitch and since my truck has the 5th wheel prep package, I also ordered the "Picture frame" support/brace that the hitch sits on, as it bolts right to the truck bed (long Box)...my question is ...is this a suitable set up to use? For the complete set up it is approx. $1600.00 Can $.

Thanks in advance for your imput.

alex00

Hey Alex, yes I have the DRW, i figured pulling a big monster CY3800 behind me I figured i needed that...I am glad to hear that the Ram performs well for you. Did you have the 4:10 rear end gears too?

View attachment 29182
Sure do! The 4.10s, Aisin HD and Diesel. It's a great truck for pulling the triple axle Cyclones.
Hey Alex...one more question to ask if I can....i just ordered the Ram 20K 5th wheel Hitch and since my truck has the 5th wheel prep package, I also ordered the "Picture frame" support/brace that the hitch sits on, as it bolts right to the truck bed (long Box)...my question is ...is this a suitable set up to use? For the complete set up it is approx. $1600.00 Can $.

Thanks in advance for your imput.
That hitch setup is almost the same as mine. I have the Reese picture frame and the Curt Q24. Reese and Curt supply the Ram parts, just rebadged. I got the Q24 because it was only a few dollars more than the Q20. I haven't done the exchange rate but for reference the Curt and Reese parts were about $900 US shipped to my house. But from reading other posts the Reese part is really hard to find right now. If you can get your hands on one, I'd definitely grab it, even if it's a marked up Ram part.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

You bought the king of the road for towing. Ford has a ways to go before they figure out their 6.7 Diesel. If you are at high altitude be even more grateful that you did not purchase a 2011 to 2014 Ford as well. Those year models do not do well at high elevations with thin air. The sequential turbo struggles to move the thin air at high elevations. That is why they have gone back to a similar turbo found in the old 6.0 PSD, but bigger. No more Sequential turbo for the 2014. Also why Ford had their butt handed to them in the last DPM challenge. The high altitude in CO did not play well with the PSD.

Lastly, I believe people are to proud of their Fords to except that they are lacking when it comes to towing. Brand loyalty is a blinding trait. I was once brand loyal to Chevy, no more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

scottyb

I call BS to that, and I am a former and probably future GM owner. Brand loyalty is with the brand that suits me the most.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I call BS to that, and I am a former and probably future GM owner. Brand loyalty is with the brand that suits me the most.

I am talking when people are so loyal to a brand they are unable to see faults within it. That what they own is the best because they only buy the best. Yady Yady Yady abd so on.

Me, I like things about them all and hate things about them all. (2015 Chevys are pretty nice) But after now owning all of them I am convinced that Dodge is over all a better pickup in comfort, performance, reliability, and most of all, towing.

But I have no plans to sell my Ford. It does everything I ask it to.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Hopefully by the weekend I will have the Carli Starter kit installed along with the 5100 on the rear. This should dramatically improve the ride.

MTPockets

I am convinced that Dodge is over all a better pickup in comfort, performance, reliability, and most of all, towing.

But I have no plans to sell my Ford. It does everything I ask it to.

. While I am convinced Ford is over all better, In the end it's meaningless. The overall best truck is the one we decide to buy. I find no fault with my truck at high altitude, comfort, towing, etc. I have a bit over 1000 lbs of payload room to spare so no need for more, I have plenty of room to spare in GVWR, etc., so going bigger is of no consequence; and, I think the Ford just looks better; I don't like those huge RAM fender flares, And since Ford is still the number one one selling truck, a lot of others must agree. But that's me - I don't fault anyone who chooses a GMC or a RAM truck for their reasons. It's all RV'ing related and that's great.