What truck/hp do I need for pulling Cyclone 3612?

TacoTom

Thanks Alex!! Good to hear info from a "seasoned" big rig hauler...I am retiring in 8 months and jumping into this with both feet, so comforting to have advice from people like you.
Like i always tell my wife....."nothing a little money does not fix"... but we still want to spend it wisely.
Tom

Sure do! The 4.10s, Aisin HD and Diesel. It's a great truck for pulling the triple axle Cyclones.

That hitch setup is almost the same as mine. I have the Reese picture frame and the Curt Q24. Reese and Curt supply the Ram parts, just rebadged. I got the Q24 because it was only a few dollars more than the Q20. I haven't done the exchange rate but for reference the Curt and Reese parts were about $900 US shipped to my house. But from reading other posts the Reese part is really hard to find right now. If you can get your hands on one, I'd definitely grab it, even if it's a marked up Ram part.

scottyb

If you watch videos on performance or read articles in magazines, you will get multiple results. It's just been a few years ago that Dodge was well behind GM and Ford both in performance and creature comforts. They were known as a pickup with a good engine and poor everything else, and with bad resale. GM's diesels had the worst reputation of all in the 80's and 90's, until they finally got the Duramax. Ford dominated the diesel pickup market from the 80's, 90's, and into the early 2000's, until it was forced to dump the 7.3L, due to EPA regulations. They lost a lot of respect over the next two versions but seem to have rebounded with the 6.7L. It is an ever changing and fluid situation, and saying that one is the best, is a highly debatable and opinionated.

In the past, a Dodge was not in the equation for me. However, I will give them an honest look next time I am in the market. They seem to have caught up with the others in creature comforts, and performance and I like the looks of them.

lwmcguir

I just purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3612 which weighs close to 14k unloaded and 18k loaded. My truck is a short box 2012 f250 with the 6.7 diesel. My problem is their doesn't seem to be enough power when pulling up any significant grade of hill. My understanding is the f250 has the same pulling power as the one ton f350. Anyone experiencing similar situation? Will a performance chip help the hp or pulling capabilities? Ideas please...

Robert
I really wonder what is wrong here. Are you using the Tow/Button button? You should be able to burn your tires off especially since you are overloaded for the truck frame and suspension. We tow what you are towing and then some with a 6.7 with no issues at all. Has much more power than our F550 ever even thought about.

dave10a

It is all about torque and the torque curve of the engine. HP is calculated from torque and rpm. Gearing provides a torque multiplier. High gear ratio rear end means the torque needs to be increased by the transmission. A 3:55 rear end will shift from 6th to 5th sooner. Saying all that my stock Ford does just fine pulling the Rockies with plenty of power. For long grades I find the gear required to keep the engine at 2000-2500 rpm to properly cool the engine and transmission, set the cruise control and sit back and relax while enjoying the view.

artsbighorn

I just purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3612 which weighs close to 14k unloaded and 18k loaded. My truck is a short box 2012 f250 with the 6.7 diesel. My problem is their doesn't seem to be enough power when pulling up any significant grade of hill. My understanding is the f250 has the same pulling power as the one ton f350. Anyone experiencing similar situation? Will a performance chip help the hp or pulling capabilities? Ideas please...

Robert
If you think you need a chip you need a Bigger truck

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I really wonder what is wrong here. Are you using the Tow/Button button? You should be able to burn your tires off especially since you are overloaded for the truck frame and suspension. We tow what you are towing and then some with a 6.7 with no issues at all. Has much more power than our F550 ever even thought about.

How is he overloading the frame? The F250 has the same frame (Chassis) as the F350.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk