What's Up With My Tires???

avvidclif

I had Carlisle tires on my last 2 5ers, 4 years total, with zero problems. They were the new design, not the older ones that had problems. I would still have them except my latest uses 8 lug rims and swapping would have been a problem. The others had 6 lug and the tires followed me.

DallasFull-Timer

I had Carlisle tires on my last 2 5ers, 4 years total, with zero problems. They were the new design, not the older ones that had problems. I would still have them except my latest uses 8 lug rims and swapping would have been a problem. The others had 6 lug and the tires followed me.

Well that's definitely encouraging. I'm gonna do some research on the Carlisle. The Goodyear Endurance is at an attractive price point as well, but is an E1 tire...

alexb2000

Is $100 or less a tire worth experimenting for? There are two proven RV tire choices here, Goodyear and Sailun G rated. Why fix something that isn't broke?

Oh wow, sure enough. Looks like I have the Summit 8-lug Silver.

So I can go with 110 psi tires... which is what, Load Rating F or G?

I have an Elkridge 37 Ultimate that came with the same rims you have. I immediately changed from TowMax to Sailun S637 (110 psi) and so far have been very please with the tires. I am in my 4th season with them and take between 14-18 trips per season.

DallasFull-Timer

I have an Elkridge 37 Ultimate that came with the same rims you have. I immediately changed from TowMax to Sailun S637 (110 psi) and so far have been very please with the tires. I am in my 4th season with them and take between 14-18 trips per season.

Oh that's great to know! 110 psi will be the way to go for sure.

tireman9

Few items missing from this thread.

Info on the actual measure load on the tires.
Comment on failure to confirm 80 psi, as the tire placard instructs at start of each travel day (TPMS could save the effort by using the "Reset" button available on some TPMS)
No one mentioned that they had filed a complaint with NHTSA about their tire failures (need tire DOT and the VIN of the RV) Having pictures showing the failure are a plus.
Simply replacing failed tires is the low cost way of avoiding a recall for a tire company/importer.

alexb2000

Few items missing from this thread.

Info on the actual measure load on the tires.
Comment on failure to confirm 80 psi, as the tire placard instructs at start of each travel day (TPMS could save the effort by using the "Reset" button available on some TPMS)
No one mentioned that they had filed a complaint with NHTSA about their tire failures (need tire DOT and the VIN of the RV) Having pictures showing the failure are a plus.
Simply replacing failed tires is the low cost way of avoiding a recall for a tire company/importer.

I believe the American public has been educated about the warranty/recall procedures for products made in China....

Proceed to nearest landfill and file your claim, otherwise you are just wasting your time.:D

Seriously, the NHTSA should be more proactive in determining unsafe tires vs. letting the consumer do it. I guess they are more concerned with CAFE standards and all the benefit that brings us.

BTW- Towmax isn't even listed on the brands of tires sold in the U.S. according to the NHTSA's tire safety rating page.

tireman9

I believe the American public has been educated about the warranty/recall procedures for products made in China....

Proceed to nearest landfill and file your claim, otherwise you are just wasting your time.:D

Seriously, the NHTSA should be more proactive in determining unsafe tires vs. letting the consumer do it. I guess they are more concerned with CAFE standards and all the benefit that brings us.

BTW- Towmax isn't even listed on the brands of tires sold in the U.S. according to the NHTSA's tire safety rating page.
\

RE NHTSA being more proactive. Congress simply doesn't give them the budget that would be needed for DOT to test a tire from every batch. Even tire companies do not test a sample from every batch.

They do order recalls such as THIS one.
BUT they need people to ID questionable tires which the RV community seem to resist doing as complaining around campfires or on RV forums

Towmax STR is listed in the drop down list on the complaint page. Also NHTSA will use the tire DOT serial if you can't find the tire line you are looking for.
TOWMAX.jpgAlso
I
don't know where you were looking but Towmax STR is on the drop down on THIS page

- - - Updated - - -

That might be because the brand name is Power King Tow Max.

Safe Travels,

Roger

Yup took me about 15 seconds to find Towmax