What's your favorite carry weapon?

HornedToad

If I didn't buy a gun Saturday... DW would make me get one tomorrow.
The following quote is from an LEO on our Neighborhood blog,
in response to all the other neighbors speculation about an incident.
This clubhouse is directly across the street from my front door...

"There was a party at the club house that got out of hand.
There were shots fired and one person was struck by a vehicle.
Police have identified the people involved and are investigating it as an aggravated assault."

The only thing I racked up were the ZZZZZ's... slept through the whole thing???

It's a different world we live in today,
I was wrong to think I should be able get by without protection.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With my Winchester 1200 (PD surplus), if there's a round chambered, that give me a total of six rounds to use. If some fool wants to invade my domicile, I don't have a duty to retreat or crap my pants, so giving the mutt a warning "rack" is not in the cards. If it gets real personal, the thing has the mount for it, so I might shout "Fix bayonets!"

Jim.Allison

Thats OK Porthole, Yes the slide release must be pressed to release the slide when the slide is forward, round chambered or not.

The way you prepare the weapon, is you clear the weapon, point it in a safe direction, pull the trigger. Then load the magazine tube. Put a couple of round in your pocket. This condition is known as cruiser safe. Then if you have an incident, you can rack your SG, without using the slide release, use the SG, load the remaining rounds from your pocket, or tactically load them if need be.

But the choice is always ultimately yours, I just paid a lot of money for my Heartland and I do not want to shoot a hole in the floor, roof or walls, or hurt someone, or have someone shoot me with my own gun.

To me tactically speaking it is the best condition IMHO. No-one is suggesting that you engage an opponent with an empty chamber. In fact, to engage the adversary you should be fully loaded and prepared to combat reload.

I can go from cruiser safe to incident loaded in a heartbeat. Incident loaded is magazine tube full and one in the chamber. And the 5 I keep in my pockets.

You can go around hot all the time, but eventually, someone will have an accidental discharge, and some of those accidental discharges will kill people. Then you will be a statistic that liberals will use to make their case against guns.

As a former LEO I am surprised to hear you say that. Goes against all the logic I have ever been told.

My pump shot guns can't be "racked" with a round in the chamber, something has to be pressed to release the slide to to that. So, there is no chance of "dropping a round on the ground", accidentally.

The only sound any bad guy might be able to hear should be the safety.

donr827

I have a question for all of the shot gun owners. Would a 20 gauge shot gun do an adequate job in self defense with the proper shells?
Don

whp4262

I have a question for all of the shot gun owners. Would a 20 gauge shot gun do an adequate job in self defense with the proper shells?
Don

A 410 will do a good job with the right shells so I would say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Ditto X2

I saw a pretty little double 410 at a gunshop the other day.

Lead at 1200 fps is bad on the receiving end, no matter which gun it comes out of.

A 410 will do a good job with the right shells so I would say yes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ditto X2

I saw a pretty little double 410 at a gunshop the other day.

Lead at 1200 fps is bad on the receiving end, no matter which gun it comes out of.

Just don't follow "Buckshot Biden's" advice and blast both barrels out the window.

porthole

Retired
I have contemplated a 20 for some time.
There is a police supply gunsmith who takes 870 20's and modifies the receiver to take all standard 870 12 gauge parts. Makes a great tactical 20 gauge for home defense. Just a little pricey at about 700-1K.

But, you get the 20 gauge advantage for someone who might be intimidated by a 12.

http://www.aiptactical.com/20_ga_Elite.php

kdw61

A lot of writers here talk about using a shotgun and "racking" the action to scare off the intruder. Bad idea. Forget what you see in the movies, any firearms instructor will tell you the same. You put yourself at two disadvantages by doing so: you deprive yourself of one extra shot and you tell the intruder exactly where you are. Using a weapon should never be to scare somebody off. You should never grab your weapon unless you feel the life of you and your family are in danger, and if that is the case, your actions should be to totally eliminate the threat. Unlike the movies, real police officers NEVER shoot to wound. Using a firearm is a lethal action and should not be taken without the full need and intention to kill.

Instead, you will most likely be able to hear anyone trying to open the locked door of your camper. This will give you plenty of time to verbally announce to the would be intruder that you are armed and prepared to shoot if needed. If that doesn't scare them off, so be it. Plus, it prevents you from accidentally shooting at a drunken neighbor or misguided kid who is just trying to get into the wrong camper in the darkness.

All that being said, a shotgun makes an excellent defensive weapon for home or campground. But be sure you know and follow all state, local and campground rules regarding firearms. Otherwise, you might be the one headed for jail.

whp4262

On a little different subject I was recently in New Jersey observing a check ride in a Cessna Jet and the co-pilot was a New Jersey law enforcement officer. We engaged in a discussion and I asked questions about firearms and RVing. He said he would ask the department firearms expert and call me back which he did. He said that if you are not a resident of New Jersey and you keep the unloaded firearm locked up in a box with the ammo locked in a separate box in your camper that you will be ok even if you are staying at a campground for a few days. He said New Jersey classifies your RV as a second home. Thought that was some interesting info for those of us that might be traveling into or through the state.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
A lot of writers here talk about using a shotgun and "racking" the action to scare off the intruder. Bad idea. Forget what you see in the movies, any firearms instructor will tell you the same. You put yourself at two disadvantages by doing so: you deprive yourself of one extra shot and you tell the intruder exactly where you are. Using a weapon should never be to scare somebody off. You should never grab your weapon unless you feel the life of you and your family are in danger, and if that is the case, your actions should be to totally eliminate the threat. Unlike the movies, real police officers NEVER shoot to wound. Using a firearm is a lethal action and should not be taken without the full need and intention to kill.

Instead, you will most likely be able to hear anyone trying to open the locked door of your camper. This will give you plenty of time to verbally announce to the would be intruder that you are armed and prepared to shoot if needed. If that doesn't scare them off, so be it. Plus, it prevents you from accidentally shooting at a drunken neighbor or misguided kid who is just trying to get into the wrong camper in the darkness.

All that being said, a shotgun makes an excellent defensive weapon for home or campground. But be sure you know and follow all state, local and campground rules regarding firearms. Otherwise, you might be the one headed for jail.

[Your comment about the shot gun doesn't add up...you tell the person you are armed...that would indeed tell him your location just as racking the shot gun....I have been out of law enforcement for a long time, but going into a commercial warehouse in Calif on a 459...burglary call...we always went in and then racked our shot guns...that sound alone made the majority on the intruders announce themselves....Maybe times have changed since my days at the LASO in the 80's, but I don't agree with your comments....]

porthole

Retired
On a little different subject I was recently in New Jersey observing a check ride in a Cessna Jet and the co-pilot was a New Jersey law enforcement officer. We engaged in a discussion and I asked questions about firearms and RVing. He said he would ask the department firearms expert and call me back which he did. He said that if you are not a resident of New Jersey and you keep the unloaded firearm locked up in a box with the ammo locked in a separate box in your camper that you will be ok even if you are staying at a campground for a few days. He said New Jersey classifies your RV as a second home. Thought that was some interesting info for those of us that might be traveling into or through the state.

Last person I would trust on a firearm information issue in New jersey is a LEO.
Not meant to be a disparaging comment, just that most LEO's in New Jersey are not gun "enthusiasts". The enthusiast types tend be be much more knowledgeable on the laws, but still cautious to be sure of what the written words are.

The law is quite clear on carrying a pistol in New Jersey if you do not have a concealed carry permit (just about impossible to obtain if you are not LEO).

One of the issues in New Jersey is that you may be able to transport the firearm through NJ, but even stopping for fuel makes for a touchy situation.

Jim.Allison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBLMuxqKkGw

Link provided for those that criticize others for carrying. This trash travels up and down the interstates of the USA. The police were called by Walmart after they shoved an employee. While it is true that you should limit your exposure to this, sometimes its not possible. You can never tell when you will encounter this kind of people.

Enjoy.

porthole

Retired
Taze early - taze often - empty the pepper spray.

This is a good example of when choke holds should be allowed. Out numbered by a crazed mob - they get what they deserve.

Although I wonder what the LEO thinks of his fellow LEO that kicks him in the face.

Lot of restraint shown here. That guy in the black should have been taken out.

I guess in the area where we are, mall brawls usually result in a 50+ LEO's showing up in a few minutes from all the surrounding towns. These guys seem to have to wait for a long time for help to show up.

Randor

You always want to rack your shotgun so that everyone knows what is "fixin" to happen. And as a former federal LEO, I GUARANTEE there is no sound on this earth that will get the attention of a bad guy faster than a rack from a SG. Therefore I do not carry hot, because I do not want to jack a round onto the ground for my adversary to use against me.

If I was in a struggle for a weapon, I would fire all the rounds, and leave my adversary with an empty weapon. I would not want him to pick up a loose round off the ground, and be loaded again. This only applies to the SG, everything else is hot. Since I'm a 1911 shooter, its cocked and locked - Just saying

I have a SRM 1216 semi-auto SG close at hand. It carries 16 rounds in a magazine - I have a second magazine close by. There will be no racking, just taking it off of safe.

I also have a wide variety of pistols strategically located around my RV (I live in it full time) and I carry most of the time. Until 6 months ago I was also a firearms dealer (have lots of toys) and one item I recommend, for close quarters like an RV or a house where missing your target could mean the round going through a wall and injuring someone else, is a Taurus Judge (3" barrel) or Public Defender (2" barrel). It shoots a 410 shotgun round or 45 Long Colt. A 410 round at close range will tear someone up, especially if you pull the trigger several times. BUT - unless shooting slugs - there is little chance that the pellets will get through a wall or into another room. If they do, their energy is dissipated enough to not do serious damage. Depending on the load, it can have a little kick to it - so may want to find a load that works for the individual. Because it is a pistol, it is easier to use in closer quarters, as opposed to even a shorter shotgun or something like a Mossberg Cruiser with a 16" barrel.

There are a lot of options out there, but the most important consideration is get something that YOU are comfortable with, and then practice, practice, practice. One particular firearm may not be right for both a husband and wife, especially if using a pistol. What fits well in one person's hand may not fit well in the others. A 45 ACP in the hand of someone that can't handle it and misses their target obviously does nothing. A 22LR placed well, or landing multiple rounds is more than able to neutralize a target.

kdw61

[Your comment about the shot gun doesn't add up...you tell the person you are armed...that would indeed tell him your location just as racking the shot gun....I have been out of law enforcement for a long time, but going into a commercial warehouse in Calif on a 459...burglary call...we always went in and then racked our shot guns...that sound alone made the majority on the intruders announce themselves....Maybe times have changed since my days at the LASO in the 80's, but I don't agree with your comments....]

A lot of questionable former law enforcement officers on here. If you are racking shotguns, then you are not following your training. Every officer I know, and I hang out with a number of them, always carry locked and loaded, and the racking would waste a round. Even if you carry without one in the chamber, then you have still deprived yourself of one extra round. As for scaring the criminals, a cop yelling "freeze, police!" Is usually effective enough. Most criminals know that cops are armed. Too much Hollywood in these discussions.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jim:

You posted something from my username that was not my post....That was someone else post and I was commenting on it...You are showing my user name with his post....my comments are under his posting....