Where can I go for Towing Instructions?

MCTalley

Just the other day I helped our neighbors back their huge rig into the spot across from us. The wife approached and indicated they had yet to back into a spot. It's easy to get spoiled by pull-through sites.

Two things I remember about backing:
1. Turn the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction that you want the back of your trailer to head.
2. As mentioned earlier, the tighter you have your truck turned compared to your trailer the less chance you have that you can straighten it out without pulling forward to correct the issue.

lynndiwagoner

For sure he got the right brand, and welcome to the RV community. I might have sounded a little negative on my previous post, but I know you can do it. We've all been there. Before the Big Country I had a Hitchhiker and did ding the cab while making a tight turn. I'm really fond of that front cap on the Heartland product that allows an almost 90 degree cut. Most all RV'ers are really friendly and helpful, so just ask. Also, I'm really impressed with this forum, and it is one of the things that convinced me to buy a Heartland product. You will also enjoy Florida, especially in the winter. Good luck.

Crumgater

We were in your boat just a few years ago - our 34' Elkridge is the first real trailer we've ever towed. Our last RV was a slide-in truck camper. And we're STILL learning how to maneuver this thing (especially backing up)... we do enjoy sitting in the CG watching other "newbies" have the same troubles we do. It's nice to know we're not alone. :)

A few things we've learned, to date:

1. If your campground offers you expert assistance in getting parked - TAKE IT. We had a guide walk DH step-by-step through backing into a spot... first time, hit it perfect. He knew what he was doing, and it made for a looooow-stress setup (and no yelling between DH and DW, either! HA!)

2. It's REALLY easy to disconnect in a parking lot and then run the truck to the gas station to fill-up... much easier than trying to maneuver the whole rig through tight, busy stations.

3. Backing up - turns start really slow, but then really GO... so get started with as much room as possible, and make small changes. When in doubt, pull forward, straighten out and try again.

4. Pull through spots are TOTALLY worth the extra price!

5. Be PATIENT with your outside guide (DH or DW)... it takes a bit to get your communication signals down. Communicate as much as you need to verbally until you understand the hand signals... Since the key is to turn the BOTTOM of the steering wheel the way you want the BUTT of the trailer to go, I (DW) try to tell DH which way the butt needs to go next. You may opt for a different system.

6. And, as the outside guide - watch BOTH sides of the rig and truck. As you push the trailer one way, the nose of the truck may be aiming straight for a post or hydrant that you can't see across the road.

7. As the outside guide, I'm finding the LESS I talk, the better things go... hmm.... I think that's a good thing. Leaves me free to watch for obstacles, trees, posts, etc.

Enjoy!
I always tell myself, there are LOTS of people driving these beasts around, so why not me? You can do it!

danemayer

We originally used walkie talkies, but switched to cell phones. Mine goes through the bluetooth in the truck so it's handsfree.

Ladiver

We originally used walkie talkies, but switched to cell phones. Mine goes through the bluetooth in the truck so it's handsfree.

We did exactly opposite. I wanted to do the cell phone thing, but then realized that signal strength became an issue. Since I already have a mobile HAM radio in the truck, I got a hand held that DW uses. MUCH better for guaranteed communication.

Jim Posz

You are getting some great tips here. Let me add a few of my own. First, when pulling into a campsite or filling station don't be too proud to hop out of the truck to walk around and get your bearings. It's ultimately less embarrassing to be seen doing this than running into something. Second, make a point of looking up for tree limbs, gas station signs and the like when maneuvering. We tend to pay attention to what's at eye level, and the times I've got in trouble were with stuff higher up. Finally, I try to relax and not to try to cover too many miles in a day. Driving 500+ miles a day and pulling into a campsite after dark tends to take the fun out of he journey as well as leading to getting in a hurry and making mistakes. Enjoy!
Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Here are more BIG NO-NO's. NEVER EVER let your DW get under the front of the 5er to help you back up to hook up. Personally I never turn my head to look out the rear window to hook up....all done with the inside rear view mirror. Put some white paint on the front of hitch in the center of the pin hole. Put white paint on the front of the pinbox centered with the pin. Always make sure the pinbox is not TOO high to the hitch. Also TOO low at the pinbox will not be good. Get your TV/hitch close to the pin...get out and look at the height difference and adjust from there. Make sure the pinbox is setting all the way down on the hitch. Do a 'pull test" after "you think it's latched" and the landing gear is still down. If the hitch is NOT latched...and you take off....it will be really ugly. If you don't have a hitch yet or even if you do...I hope the plug for the 5er was put at the rear of the bed.

danemayer

Do a 'pull test" after "you think it's latched" and the landing gear is still down. If the hitch is NOT latched...and you take off....it will be really ugly.

A pull test is really important. But I'd suggest raising the landing gear an inch off the ground so you don't drag them.

loganhughes

You have received lots of good advice. Forty years ago (yes I was only 8 YO....LOL!) when I learned to drive a semi-tractor-trailer combination, I had a great teacher. (BTW...my teacher was the trucking company owner who was hiring me. The was before CDLs came into play.) After taking the written test and getting a learner's permit, he took me out in the truck I was going to drive. He drove around making educational commentary about do's and don'ts, helpful hints, etc. We did right and left turns even going on some narrow 2-lane streets with him talking me through every nuance and finally backing around corners right and left. Then he said it was my turn. He then had me drive and repeat everything he showed me as he critiqued and coached me. It was not pretty but very valuable hands-on experience. After the drive was complete, he said I was ready. I asked him what I was ready for. He said my driving test. We stopped at the Driver's Licensing office, took my drive with the official and passed the first time. The rest is history. I would strongly suggest if you have a friend who is well experienced with towing to do the same thing for you. It will be well worth the steak dinner you offer in response to his "driving lesson". Then, practice, practice, practice preferably in a rural area where you can take is slow without getting honked off the road.

VKTalley

A pull test is really important. But I'd suggest raising the landing gear an inch off the ground so you don't drag them.

I second this! We do a pull test every hookup! To me it's worth the few extra minutes to do verses the several thousand dollars of damage to the truck and trailer.

Last edited:

pegmikef

. . . and let's not forget step 1 of backing up to hook up and step 1 after stopping, ready to unhook . . . OPEN THE TAILGATE.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
X2 on the gas station overhangs make sure to plan your route carefully! Additionally don't forget about the trees especially if you boondock camp a lot other wise you will be spending some time snd cash to replace that vent cover on your refrigerator when you could be camping! Don't ask how I know:-(

I carry tree trimmers in the tool box in the truck. There have been many times when I have to get up on the top of the RV to trim limbs away from the roof and the slideouts. For some reason campgrounds do not like to trim tree branches. And the branches can and will reach out and put out windows. Don't ask how I know.

Dloebrich

The RV show held in Hershey PA last week had a community college advertising courses for RV drivers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wmnmy

and don't rely on the pull test alone get out and look to see if your king pin is latched I learned the hard way not pretty and invest in a blue ox bed saver it catches your king pin if its not latched and saves your truck bed from getting damaged they work....easy to install to yur hitch...save damage to trailers too

rxbristol

I'm a retired Air Force guy and and in the Force we did everything with some form of checklist or technical order and I still believe in that today. Whether it's towing a 5th wheel or hooking up a TOAD, I still use a checklist. It's in a protective binder in my truck. A checklist will help prevent you from making a simple mistake like a previous poster mentioned...forgetting to lower the tailgate. If I'm on the road a lot I don't need it, but if it's been awhile since I've hooked up, it prevents critical mistakes.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we bought our 5ver, we also bought a used dually pickup at the same time from the RV dealer. So Tony got to pull the new RV with the new truck, no previous 5ver experience, through Dallas rush hour traffic in a rainstorm, 40 miles to home. Oh, and we had to stop for fuel, too! Quite an experience!

And we are still learning, to this day. Don't get too worked up about anything. Know it's going to take time. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Another related question, where is a good place to practice?

After I went from a TT to the fiver, it was just like starting over as far as backing goes and I still struggle with it. We are fortunate to have a state park close by and my wife and I would periodically hook up and go out there and practice backing into various site configurations. It helped a lot, but I find I still need to practice, practice, practice. I go out of my way to avoid situations where I have to back up, but still . . .

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Three things:
1 Before doing anything else, CHOCK the trailer wheels as soon as you stop in your site.
2 Use the G.O.A.L. method. Get Out And Look! The few minutes this takes can often prevent a catastrophe. I may do this several times when backing into a challenging site.
3. When leaving a site so NOT remove the CHOCKS until you are hitched up and completed your pull test and are ready to pull out. Chocks should be first thing set and last thing removed!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Three things:
1 Before doing anything else, CHOCK the trailer wheels as soon as you stop in your site.
2 Use the G.O.A.L. method. Get Out And Look! The few minutes this takes can often prevent a catastrophe. I may do this several times when backing into a challenging site.
3. When leaving a site do NOT remove the CHOCKS until you are hitched up and completed your pull test and are ready to pull out. Chocks should be first thing set and last thing removed!

Speaking of wheel chocks, I got a pair of those scissor chocks for my birthday last summer . . .

I love those things!

Click on photo below to see:

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

I still have and use the old yellow plastic wedge-type chocks as backup, but these new ones are sweet!