where is the manual crank located for the slide outs?

tiddler

Hello all! Just bought a Bighorn 3570 and cannot find where I would manually crank in the slides if I had to. The under belly is covered and under the slides I cannot see anywhere a manual crank would go. Nor can I find where I would put the fluid when it needs topping up.
My thanks

danemayer

Hi tiddler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

The living area slides are probably hydraulic. If you have an electrical failure, you can manually operate the pump with a drill, using a hex bit. I use a 6" phillips head screwdriver bit that's inserted into the drill backwards. You'll also need an allen wrench to manually open and close the valve that allows fluid to flow to and from the slide's hydraulic ram. Some rigs have knobs that you can easily twist to manually operate the valves.

Here's a link to Lippert 0071 which has some pictures along with instructions.

The hydraulic pump and tank are usually located in the front storage compartment. That's where you would add fluid if necessary. If there are no leaks, you probably won't be adding any.

davebennington

If by chance you have a major hydraulic failure such as a burst line you may have no other choice than to move the slide in by using an adjustable wrench on the square shaft the connects the 2 gear sets. This will be very slow and time consuming however it can be done. I would however try to block the slide in place to keep it from sliding out while traveling down the road.

dav

tiddler

Many thanks, I will go and have a look,

Hi tiddler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

The living area slides are probably hydraulic. If you have an electrical failure, you can manually operate the pump with a drill, using a hex bit. I use a 6" phillips head screwdriver bit that's inserted into the drill backwards. You'll also need an allen wrench to manually open and close the valve that allows fluid to flow to and from the slide's hydraulic ram. Some rigs have knobs that you can easily twist to manually operate the valves.

Here's a link to Lippert 0071 which has some pictures along with instructions.

The hydraulic pump and tank are usually located in the front storage compartment. That's where you would add fluid if necessary. If there are no leaks, you probably won't be adding any.