Which Truck do I need

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
IMHO, I believe that the chassis,axles,springs,tires make up the GVWR. I've seen the same engine and trans in different trucks. It's the overall strength of the vehicle that makes this what it is.

You want to see Rotors ? Check out the F-450's, they are 15", talk about sweep area! I can't wait till the end of Sept., my "Big & White" 450 will be here. Size DOES matter !:eek:

Pulltab

Kashman said:
Finally picked up our TV yesterday, 07' Dodge 3500 Mega Cab, DRW, 6.7 CTD, Exhaust brake. (We're almost there
icon_biggrin.gif
) We're looking at the Bighorn 3670RL, and hope that it's enough truck.:confused: Any one using this TV/trailer combo? If so any problems?

Sure do like that truck though!!!!!

We have a 2925RK with a max GVW of 14000#, our truck is as much as you can get in a dodge pickup, 12,200 gvw and 23,000 GCWR, we got it weighed and are just short of the max GCWR at 22,840. Our trailer is only 32' but we are fulltimers and have it loaded with all our stuff. The weight includes an additional auxillary tank that carries an extra 50 gallons of fuel so that is some weigth there that you may not have.

You won't be disappointed with your choice of trucks. The turbo/exhaust brake works so well with the transmission (we have teh 6spd auto) that going down 6% grades I had to give it throttle to stay at 55 :) . We have the quad cab with 4:10 gear and got 10.1 mpg on our last tank of fuel. That is at 4200 miles on the odometer.

Happy Campers

GVW doesn't seem to be set in stone as some think. In some, or most states you can register your vehicle with a higher weight rating. All truck manufactures want a lighter truck GVR so they don't have to worry about replacing parts. If you have the proper plates but not the tires to carry that weight, then yes, I think you would be cited.
JMHO

fcycle

We are seriously considering the purchase of a Big Horn 3670. We have a "05 3500 Ram withe 3.73 rear end, quad cab, auto, DRW and LWB with the CTD. I believe the max towing weight with the 3.73 rear end is a little over 14,000#. With the 4.1 rear the tow capacity goes up to about 16,000#. Is anyone towing a 3670 with a 3.73 rear end? If we need to move to the 4.1 rear what is the cost? Thanks.

Fred

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Fred, my 3655RD is about the same as your 3670RD and I towed for a couple of years with a 2003 3500 quad cab SWR with the 3.73. In 2006, I opted for a 3500 Megacab DRW with the 4.10, just so that I could be "legal" with the GCWR. I am now under it by about 300# running with empty tanks (just a little in the fresh water tank to allow a toilet flush or two). However, I am still over my 3500's GVWR by about 600#, so, if I had to do it all over again, I would try to get a 4500 or 5500 megacab if Dodge ever does make it. I would definitely this time get the exhaust brake option and would go for a 3.73 if it were offered, but 4.10 would be the one most probably offered. I have heard that the 4500 is available in Mexico - maybe by now it is also in the US. Not sure about the Megacab with it, which I would now never give up - I love it!

My overall mpg is 12.2, but I only have 13,600 miles on it. My 2003 with the 3.73 did better by a couple of mpg. About 4,000 miles was with the Bighorn in tow.

Hope this helps. I don't think the 4.10 added anything significant cost-wise, but did affect my mpg.

Either truck towed my 3655RD like it was not even there, although with the 4.10, I can take off better. I also like the two/haul mode which was not on the 2003.