Who here hasn't had their trailer tires balanced?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

They are not balanced from the factory . . . and I'll guaranty you that your dealership didn't have them balanced, either!

You need to have this done . . .

Period . . . end of story!

When I took my trailer in last spring to have them balanced, not only did they find that all five mounted (including spare) tires were out of balance, but they also discovered that one of my wheels was warped!

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

They are not balanced from the factory . . . and I'll guaranty you that your dealership didn't have them balanced, either!

You need to have this done . . .

Period . . . end of story!

Had mine done when I got rid of the BlowMax tires replaced

marvmarcy

I heartily agree! My original 614s were not balanced but were decent without it. They looked good after 3yrs and 24,000 miles. I was lucky. Part of the price of the new 114s was a balance and steel stems. They needed that balance. I also replaced all bearings at the same time - they needed it. A full suspension inspection should be done at least annually. Things can go bad quickly. A good TPMS is also important.

donr827

The question is why don't Heartland balance tires at the factory before delivering to the dealer?
Don

Westwind

Answer - $$, that's what it all boils down to. Pride in product has it's cost limit and anyway $$ can be saved and still have an operational product it's done. Every time I replaced my original tires the new ones were balanced. Could I tell the difference, I'm not that skilled to tell the difference. But it's makes sense to me, I always had the wheels on my cars and trucks balanced. Why not the trailer - no answer. I would think it would reduce vibration and less stress to the trailer.

whp4262

I have the stuff to mount and balance my own tires which I did on my Cyclone and cargo trailers. Don't really know why but it seems trailer tires are never balanced from the supplier or manufacturer of any trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

I am sure that Heartland gets the tires and wheels already mounted and they just put them on the axles. Tredit or who ever is the one that should be balancing the tires.

Chippendale

I purchased a new Gateway the end of October and had the dealer swap my "balanced", two year old Michleins off of my old SOB in place of the Blowmax as part of the purchase. I noticed that there are not any weights on the new wheels, but did not have time to discuss it with them.

I attended an Escapees RV Boot Camp a couple of weeks ago and the instructors were raving about the Centramatics for motor homes, and said that Balance Beads would do a good job for trailers. I had never heard of either. It is my understanding the they both do a good job and extend the life of the tires. I am sure the beads are a lot cheaper than the Centramatics. Plan to look into them after the first of the year.

rxbristol

I purchased a new Gateway the end of October and had the dealer swap my "balanced", two year old Michleins off of my old SOB in place of the Blowmax as part of the purchase. I noticed that there are not any weights on the new wheels, but did not have time to discuss it with them.

I attended an Escapees RV Boot Camp a couple of weeks ago and the instructors were raving about the Centramatics for motor homes, and said that Balance Beads would do a good job for trailers. I had never heard of either. It is my understanding the they both do a good job and extend the life of the tires. I am sure the beads are a lot cheaper than the Centramatics. Plan to look into them after the first of the year.

I'm not sure they're cheaper once you account for labor, travel, and inconvenience. Centramatics you can install yourself and if you have to change a tire or rim there's not an additional outlay of cash because they stay with the hub.

Jim Posz

I have been balancing the wheels on my trailers for the past 6-8 years. Having said that, there are still tire dealers out there who will tell you that there is no need to balance trailer wheels. Personally, I figure it's inexpensive and can't hurt anything.

Manzan

I have always had my trailer tires balanced. Can I tell? No. But roads are rough enough without adding unbalanced tires into the mix to shake loose everything inside.

Ks.Kev

I would also think having the tires balanced it would help on the wear and tear of the wheel bearings. IMHO!

whp4262

I think we all have driven a car with a tire out of balance and know how bad it shakes the vehicle. When it's a trailer tire we may not feel it in the tow vehicle but the trailer surly does. So the suspension, joints, dishes etc. are being thumped and bumped mile after mile for hours. I was following a cargo trailer one day with a tire out of balance and one thing I noticed was how much the tire sidewall was flexing with every bounce of the tire. I can't see how this wouldn't create additional heat and weakening of the sidewall over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Since my trailer went almost straight to Discount Tire, to replace the Towmax, it has always been balanced. I purchased certificates for the Michellins. and it has been back two times for rotating and balancing, at the beginning of each season. Assuming I still have it, it will go back again this Spring.

Chippendale

The Michellins I just took off my old SOB had been balanced, but of course the dealer did not re balance them when he installed them on my new Gateway rims. I have the rear kitchen Gateway, and I have always heard they were rough on dishes, etc. This afternoon, I drove about 150 miles across Central Texas and when I went to get a spoon out of the drawer in the kitchen I found that all the utensils had moved to new compartments in the drawer. Kind of like musical chairs. I guess I will be joining scottyb at Discount Tire for a balance job when I get home. I think they should be balanced, it is just one less service RV dealers don't seem to want to do.

lwmcguir

We use Dyna Beads or any other brand at the correct ratio based on tire weight. This is on all trailers including the Landmark. Never a problem or regret for the past 50 or so years.

OldTanker

First thing I did after taking delivery was to take the tires to be ballanced here on base. The spare was warped so badly it can't be ballanced. I'll be discussing it with the dealer as a warranty issue next week.