Will All Road Warriors Please Stand Up! Represent Your Warrior!

TxRoadWarrior362

Good luck and I'd be real meticulous on doing inspections of the roof install as it proceeds, if you can. I'd try to get a look at it immediately after the old roof is off which gives you a chance to see any post-factory install damage. Then, after the new roof is on and sealed but before the appliances are installed, lastly a final inspection before accepting it. I know that's a whole lot, but it would probably go a long ways to knowing and seeing any problem areas before they crop up later, plus satisfying in my mind the job was done right for the long term.

We're going to AWS in Vegas (flying) for work related stuff. We haven't had the beastie out since our last trip to DC/St Augustine/Fort Wilderness, August-September and we're already suffering withdrawal. We go back to Fort Wilderness for 10 days in December.

Good advise, Thank you.

Have a safe trip to Los Wages! Lol

nfa1eab

Only thing nasty than can leak out of an ac unit is compressor oil. They must have felt that the oil would deteriorate the rubber on the roof. Not sure of the chemistry of compressor oil and R34 refrigerant, or whatever it is nowadays, but good that they are replacing roof. Good suggestions to monitor roof progress, big install, and water ingress is definitely one of the biggest no-no in these units. Hope they do a good job and you are problem free after this.😀

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

IronJ

Im still not sold on the issue....compressor oil leak on ALL THREE???.

mine had the weird stains too...after texting with my detail guy he said he had to seriously scrub with rubber roof cleaner and dish soap to get the stains off....and even then they were still slightly visible if you looked hard....

Also it seems that after a year the stains are minimal....and i would think of it was compressor oil i would have a/c issues???

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

TxRoadWarrior362

I stopped by the dealer today and spoke to the service manager. Dometic hasn't given them a reason for the stains yet. He said they looked at other new 5ers on the lot for staining. Guess what.... Multiple trailers had staining like mine, and all had Dometic ac's.

I asked him to contact me after the roof is removed, and before the new one goes on. Also asked for another call when the new roof goes on, before they install anything on it. He said, no problem.

He said they install sheeting on the roof before laying the new roof. It gets screwed down and takes out the imperfections that occur while removing the old roof. He also stated I should gain additional r factor from the use of this sheeting. Any thought on this?

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Im still not sold on the issue....compressor oil leak on ALL THREE???.

mine had the weird stains too...after texting with my detail guy he said he had to seriously scrub with rubber roof cleaner and dish soap to get the stains off....and even then they were still slightly visible if you looked hard....

Also it seems that after a year the stains are minimal....and i would think of it was compressor oil i would have a/c issues???

I agree on the ac oil. See oil, and you have a leak.

My guess.....something was sprayed on the components at the Dometic factory, maybe to prevent corrosion and rust on the long boat ride to the states.

IronJ

Sheetiing???.of what..the rubber is just a barrier layer over the decking....glued and end screwed.....its a membrane over the wood structure to prevent water intrusion....how that could boost r factor is beyond me and honestly an indicator that some one is full of it!!...

Again , back to my original opinion, unless the stains are affecting the integrity of the roof i would NOT have it replaced...

And as you have eluded and my personal experience, there are stains for sure on these units...

My detail guy scrubbed 95% of them out....

Point being if its just a visual vs structural issue i would NOT want my perfectly fine and watertight roof ripped off....thats a whole nuther can of worms that can add MANY more issues later if not done 100% correctly..

If i had 100% faith in my repair guys abilities......MAYBE...

but those are few and far between...

Rhyph

Sheetiing???.of what..the rubber is just a barrier layer over the decking....glued and end screwed.....its a membrane over the wood structure to prevent water intrusion....how that could boost r factor is beyond me and honestly an indicator that some one is full of it!!...

Again , back to my original opinion, unless the stains are affecting the integrity of the roof i would NOT have it replaced...

And as you have eluded and my personal experience, there are stains for sure on these units...

My detail guy scrubbed 95% of them out....

Point being if its just a visual vs structural issue i would NOT want my perfectly fine and watertight roof ripped off....thats a whole nuther can of worms that can add MANY more issues later if not done 100% correctly..

If i had 100% faith in my repair guys abilities......MAYBE...

but those are few and far between...

I generally agree, but ours kept coming back on the Big Horn. I think this was after the third scrubbing, and it was around that time we just no longer had to worry about the whole thing. :rolleyes:

79e98b3e93358ca21eeaa15e6fe9ab0d.png

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a Dometic AC on our Prowler and have not had this issue (keeping fingers crossed).

ProwlerMaxxAirBackDone-P1010866.jpg ProwlerMaxxAirBRdone-P1010892.jpg

IronJ

I generally agree, but ours kept coming back on the Big Horn. I think this was after the third scrubbing, and it was around that time we just no longer had to worry about the whole thing. :rolleyes:

79e98b3e93358ca21eeaa15e6fe9ab0d.png
Yup...thats pretty much exactly what mine looked like..?

The middle ac wasnt nearly as bad as the front...

As of this year i have not seen any stains...but i have not climbed up and investigated face to face...

jam20ster

I just recently had a new roof installed back in July due to low tree limb in roadway. The extra material he is talking about is lauan plywood. They do this because when the old roof in removed it can cause splintering of the old plywood its connected to. The new lauan sheets are placed over the old to protect the new roof.

With all this said i seriously doubt there is any change in R value from a 1/8" sheet.

Securityman

I have a 2015 cyclone with 2 ac units staining my roof also , is this a concern ? Any answers to what's leaking out of these things ? It's it going to soak in and ruin or shorten the roof life now ?

Sarge

We plan on doing some boondocking (no hookups) and wanted the extra capacity over the single 12v.

The beers the dealership gives away certainly helps their sales process....

:cool:

Nice Sarge! We want to be around you when the zombies come calling!

Question, because we are learning. Why the dual 6v battery upgrade?

tim

- - - Updated - - -

Great tip on the fridge - How did you mount the additional fans without screwing them into something?

I added two of the same MaxAir covers in the main bath and kitchen. Couldn't add one over the loft because of the clearance for where the DirectTV dish is mounted. (CRAP)

Also added a FantasticFan in the kitchen with remote. It really helps to cool things down quickly.

Sarge

The fridge and freezer were measuring a little warmer than previous campers we've had and our home fridge. After reading this forum, and others, I tried a fan to stablize the temps. Prior to the fan the fridge was 40 deg, frezzer was 20 deg. Home freezer is about 0 deg and fridge is about 34 deg. I bought a couple fridge thermostats off amazon that hang on the fridge/freezer gates.

After installing the fan, within a few hours the temps in the fridge came down. I don't think everyone see's this as a problem, but if you find yourself wondering why the soda pop is not as cold as you like, this could be an easy troubleshooting tip.

I got mine of ebay for $20. Norcold refrigerator deluxe fan with grill. Install was very easy with no drilling.

I agree with JohnD, vent covers are a must.... Other than keeping rain out with vents open, it's a little insurance on your vents as well. We have a vent in the loft bed that can mistakely be left open and undetected before traveling. I'd rather have the vent cover than loose a vent going down the highway. Those vents can also get blown out with a little hail (ya ever get hail!). When using the furnace in the winter months (or just camping in the winter months) condensation can build up on the inside of the camper (mostly windows). Keeping a vent cracked open can help reduce that condensation. (side note: keep your fridge door open when not in use. mold can develop quickly in the enclosed fridge after you turn it off if not ventilated)

I put a black vent cover in the loft bed. Black vents help knock down the sunlight in areas you want kept darker. I used while vents covers over the bath and kitchen vent to help keep sunlight coming in those areas.

If your in a high humidity area, some folks will keep their vents open during storage times because of mildew and mold problems in damp climates. I've read where folks (mostly in pacific northwest) will open the camper in the spring and find moldy/mildew walls because of the dampness without ventilation inside the camper.

hboy1

Great tip on the fridge - How did you mount the additional fans without screwing them into something?

The fan has pressure clips that mount on to the cooling fins. Takes 30 seconds to install on the fins. Then a couple minutes to wire into the fridge light. The fan came with everything needed (pigtail electrical connection). I just needed a crimping tool. Good luck!

alwaysbusy

All,
Forgive me for typing on this thread as I have a "Clone" and not a Warrior. I'll sit down though and won't stand up. LOL

Tx, any further update on what the stains were from the dealer?

Yesterday mine went in for some warranty work. While the A/C's work fine, I made this brown staining coming from the A/C's an issue. While I do not want a new roof, I just want it to stop and be able to clean it off as everything I have tried thus far has not worked. The dealership plans on speaking with Dometic and Heartland regarding. I'll keep everyone posted but I'm not holding my breath.

TxRoadWarrior362

All,
Forgive me for typing on this thread as I have a "Clone" and not a Warrior. I'll sit down though and won't stand up. LOL

Tx, any further update on what the stains were from the dealer?

Yesterday mine went in for some warranty work. While the A/C's work fine, I made this brown staining coming from the A/C's an issue. While I do not want a new roof, I just want it to stop and be able to clean it off as everything I have tried thus far has not worked. The dealership plans on speaking with Dometic and Heartland regarding. I'll keep everyone posted but I'm not holding my breath.

Dometic hasn't given us an answer yet. Our dealer has other new Heartlands on the lot with the same staining. Explore USA has replaced 2of5 stained roofs so far. Dometic is covering the cost. I think I opened a can of worms. I was told that Explore USA is reviewing units at all of it locations for staining, ac replacement, and roof replacements. The mystery substance penetrated the pores of the rubber roof and can't be removed.

myla296

I'm problem solving and researching and came across this thread and so...here is my 2010 Road Warrior 305. I love it, but it needs A LOT of attention. I bought it a year ago to live in, and now it is going to race tracks and beach weekends (this was just this past weekend for New Year :) -

Qjz1CW

Attachments

• 15777003_1416265155075008_2583502625902068765_o.jpg
    15777003_1416265155075008_2583502625902068765_o.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 56

alwaysbusy

Much thanks to TxRoadWarrior362 in taking his time to share with me by phone. As an update for all others who may have been following the stains on the roof situation. Dometic has deemed all three A/C's as operating improperly. The brown staining coming from the units is oil. Both Heartland and Dometic have stated no staining should take place and this is not normal operation. They have classified the roof as damaged. Dometic is paying for a new roof and 3 new units. We will be traveling to the Heartland Service Center for completion.