Winegard Carryout Question---Houston Guys/Gals

rustyshakelford

Brett,

Don't know where you are looking to buy but I saw this at Dyer's RV Supplies for $639 today. That is the best price I have seen so far. If it weren't for college tuition coming out of my bank account this week I would be jumping on the wagon too.

I think were going to use adventure rv. They have them on sale for $609 plus 51 for shipping. I'll check out dyers too for shipping rates. It helps to buy out of state to save on the sales tax

Thanks

Brett!

Edit: dryers has free shipping! Great find! Thank you very much

jimtoo

Hi Brett,

You might give Tweetys a call. They are great to deal with and will match prices most of the time. They have good delivery times also.

Jim M

rustyshakelford

Ordered Sunday from dyers. Received it today. Trailers at the shop getting other issues fixed so I will have to check it out when I go to get her! I got the carryout and the 110 to 12v converter for $684.25! Still alot of money but that was the cheapest price by far, no sales tax and received it within two business days!

Brett

ceegee

Rino Driver, we have a Wineguard Carry Out and reallly, really enjoy it. However, this week I went down to my dish network salesman and Dish has their own portable satallite dish called the "Tailgater" which looks like the view cube. There is only one cable to hook up. All you do on the tv set is when the system asks what state you in you just put in what state you are located. The satallite does everything else - switch check, goes through the downloading and program downloading. This is for Dish network only and you need the Vip211k receiver. Get this- $350.00 for the dish unit and if you need it, $150.00 for the receiver! I think it comes with 50' of cable.

rustyshakelford

now i am just sick about the whole thing! i wish i wouldve known about the traveler on sunday and i wouldve got that in a heartbeat! i did some research now and apparantly they made the announcement on the 29th of august, so this is a very new product

to everyone else thats interested and has dish network, you are getting a king electronics vq2500 and a hd reciever.

this is huge savings over a winegard carryout!

oh well and i hope this helps others.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Brett, are you going to mount the dome on the ladder mount?? If you find a good deal....the next day someone has a better one........never fails.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
And I learned today that Dish network will exchange a single receiver for a dual tuner that will supply signal to two televisions in HD. The only way to get it is through the company, a local store cannot change them out.

pegmikef

Yeah, I just learned about the tailgater yesterday from my guy and have done a little research on it. The only down side I see is that it only works in the 48 contiguous United States, but that works for me. This is perfect for us because I can just pay for the period I want to use it with no contracts and no activation or deactivation fees. Here's a link to it if anyone is interested. Pretty good deal for 499.

I gotta add the other downside for all you folks with the big muilti-tv rigs and that is this only supports one receiver so it won't work for separate channels in the bedroom and living room because only the vip 211 single port receiver will work with it. I ended up paying 504 including shipping from amazon.com.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/promotion/tailgater/product-information/default.aspx

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That Tailgater system looks interesting, but I'd have to wait until next year to get it and set it up. Requirements are to get it set up within 30 days of receiving it (won't work with our remaining season schedule). Still like the idea of the Winegard GM-1518 antenna and having both the tripod and the ladder mount options, though.

What do you plan to set that Tailgater on while in use and what will you secure it to?

hoefler

The possible problem I can see is if you have to use more than 50' of coax. The VuQube and the Tailgater are both powered by the signal from the receiver. I was talking to another camper I was next to in Florida last year, he had come over to see how I liked our carry out. He had the VuQube, he said it works pretty good if you keep the coax under 50'. He had to add a 25' section to his one time to get in the clear of trees. He said it seemed to have problems finding a signal and staying on track. It had worked just the previous night at his last stop and it worked at the next stop and ever since. Just something to think about.

pegmikef

What do you plan to set that Tailgater on while in use and what will you secure it to?

It has a hasp type deal on it that I can use to secure it with a cable and padlock which is the same thing I use for my generators. I don't plan on leaving it out if we are out of the area just to keep honest people honest. I haven't quite decided on how I am going to set it up yet. I may get one of those tripods or fabricate something (I don't have a ladder).

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Yeah, I just learned about the tailgater yesterday from my guy and have done a little research on it. The only down side I see is that it only works in the 48 contiguous United States, but that works for me. This is perfect for us because I can just pay for the period I want to use it with no contracts and no activation or deactivation fees. Here's a link to it if anyone is interested. Pretty good deal for 499.

I gotta add the other downside for all you folks with the big muilti-tv rigs and that is this only supports one receiver so it won't work for separate channels in the bedroom and living room because only the vip 211 single port receiver will work with it. I ended up paying 504 including shipping from amazon.com.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/promotion/tailgater/product-information/default.aspx

We have the VIP 211 K receiver and according to dish it will operate two remotes/TV's with the single receiver but so far nobody can tell me how. Anybody know anything about this?

pegmikef

We have the VIP 211 K receiver and according to dish it will operate two remotes/TV's with the single receiver but so far nobody can tell me how. Anybody know anything about this?

I talked to the local Dish guy yesterday and he said you can run two tvs off the receiver, but with the same channel. I didn't pursue it because I only have one TV. I swear I read somewhere that you could run one tv on HD and a second channel on another on SD, but I can't find that again . . . and it might have been for a different receiver.

RoadJunkie

I have the Winegard Carryout and find it totally adequate for my purposes. If you think about it, the unit only has capability to receive a signal from only one satellite at a time, so while it may be possible to use the secondary output provided on the Carryout, it is not possible to tune your second receiver to a satellite different from your first. You have undoubtedly noticed that a conventional antenna that is mounted on a home, for example, has multiple heads, each aimed at a different satellite. The change from one satellite to another--on your home antenna--is transparent to the user. The Carryout has a single receiver--a sort of "one-eyed monster"--that repositions itself to different satellites based on demand from the Dish control unit; I can hear the motor as the Carryout repositions itself. This action is amazingly fast and almost transparent to the user.

I selected Dish Network because the Carryout will pick up satellite 129 for HD reception. Direct, unless they have changed, is not compatible with HD on the Carryout unit. Hope this helps.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
As I understand it, both channels have to be broadcast from the same satellite. If they are on different birds, the primary TV will dominate and the secondary won't receive anything.