Winter Living in a 4113

We just bought a 4113 and are going to live in it for the next 10 months while we remodel our home. This unit has a Yeti package in it and double pane windows.

The temp here can reach the low 20's during the winter.

Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks

danemayer

There are 2 aspects to winter usage: maintaining a comfortable temperature inside, and keeping the water running. Shouldn't be too hard to do either with lows in the 20s.

For help on keeping the water running, take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. The tips and techniques in that guide have been used down to -30 (F).

sengli

You might want to set up a larger LP gas tank. Your going to go thru a lot of gas to keep the coach at a livable temperature. Heated water inlet hose?

alwaysbusy

While not with our current coach....yet (but coming) we camp in the December cold with snow sometimes here in the northeast. Last year we were camping in 8 degrees during hunting season. With exception to the water hookup you should be fine with yeti and heated underbelly. I did read on a thread somewhere though that someone had to stuff a piece of 13 insulation between the basement cargo door and Anderson valve/water hookup...just a note to file. It makes sense though as this area is open on the bottom due to the hose coming up through.

Not a current Cyclone owner but have full time lived in a Montana for years now. The number one biggest thing you can do is some sort of skirting :( I hate the look of it but when you are looking to maximize interior heat and freezing resilience and minimize heating costs it's the number one best thing you can do.

other things you can do add some sort of electrical heat source or use your fireplace (electric) to augment the furnace and help "even out" heat just ensure that your not decreasing furnace heat to the point your not heating the underbelly or basement adequately to protect against freezing. Our experience with all units we have had is getting water to the coach is the toughest part I highly recommended the blue heated water hoses, they beat out a heat taped hose any day! Also ensure that the basement is heated adequately as all of these "winter" packages neglect to remember they bring water into the rig in the basement with to huge baggage doors that are hardly insulated

another thing I see a lot is people complaining about interior moisture. Vent vent vent when cooking washing showering sleeping etc and in my experience it's a non issue.

Good of luck and enjoy!!!

danemayer

I highly recommended the blue heated water hoses, they beat out a heat taped hose any day!

If you're talking about Pirit heated water hoses, my experience is the exactly opposite of yours. I had 2 outright failures of the built-in heating, and 2 more that leaked between the fittings and hose (not at the washer). Never had a problem with the hose where I put on heat tape and insulation.

If you're talking about Pirit heated water hoses, my experience is the exactly opposite of yours. I had 2 outright failures of the built-in heating, and 2 more that leaked between the fittings and hose (not at the washer). Never had a problem with the hose where I put on heat tape and insulation.

wow I hate that!! We have had ours for two seasons "only use it in the winter months" and have had no issues.. knock on wood

rocrider50

I bought some cheap Thermal couples and a electronic reader from the local electronics store. Placed them in troubled locations and watched the temperatures. It gave me piece of mind but no help in solving issues. Just pointed me to trouble areas.

Does Heartland duct heat into the underbelly and basement? Our Montana has a duct that dumps into the underbelly and exposed ducting in the basement which helps keep it considerably warmer.

the thermocouples are a great idea may have to steal that!

Cabindoc

Yes they do, but as mentioned earlier your coach furnace must be running. Use small electric heater for personal use, or say in bedroom where it won't affect t stat. I would even put a small electric unit in basement, but I never wintered in one either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed small space heater to even out the heat. Never had to use a heater in the basement and been in temps as low as -10/15, have used a heat lamp though in the basement of our previous TT

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are one of the crazy folks that likes to take our rig and go skiing, so we took extra care to make sure we're prepared for winter temps. We also have been fulltiming for a few years, semi-stationary, for work.

We use the Camco heated hose and it's going on it's second winter season. We had a Pirit before that that worked for 3-4 seasons, but the "on" light was not lighting up anymore, so we decided not to risk it.

We don't get a lot of sub-freezing weather, but we can get some. We've had ours hooked up since late October and know it was "working" this week, temps got down to 16. We have a reflector/bulb in the space behind the basement wall, and know the extra heat duct goes into the belly which isn't far from the other tanks and kitchen lines. We have a trimmed down garden kneeling pad for in the UDC to block air coming around the hose, and leave the light on in the UDC. Furnace is set at 61 at night. We have a small electric Vornado heater in the bedroom that is variable speed and temperature controlled, so it mainly helps circulate the air, it doesn't come on too much. The furnace will run a lot overnight if the outside temp is below freezing.

During the day, when home, we run the fireplace, (and the ceiling fan in reverse mode), and have another small Vornado that is temperature controlled in the kitchen. (Midship). The Vornado heaters really help circulate the air and make the overall space feel warmer without running all the time.

In our previous rig, we had heat pads on our water lines farthest from the UDC, and a heating pad on the fresh tank and fresh water line to the pump. We did this because we had some freezing at the kitchen sink. (Essentially made our own Yeti package.)

We visit an RV park with lots of stationary full-timers near Dallas. Many of them have the metallic bubble insulation sheets in their windows, have their water supply hoses wrapped with insulation, have large propane tanks, and use rigid PVC pipe for their waste drain pipe. Some have skirting, most do not. But in Texas, we don't get too much wind that causes low wind-chill temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk