Winterizing Question

danemayer

The black tank flush is an interesting topic whether it "needs" blown out or winterized. By all means, it can't hurt at all to do so. However, I believe this is a self contained system with only one check valve. After flush water on tank side will drain into tank by way of gravity flow. Water on input side will drain back out input port by same. It's an open system versus closed. I saw a diagram on it and that's how I recall it. Maybe someone on here can confirm for me?

The only possible concern would be if the black flush water inlet has a check valve similar to the main water inlet. If so, the water on that side wouldn't drain.

Also, the vacuum breaker behind the shower is a bit of an unknown. Could it retain enough water to suffer freeze damage? Probably not. But I've often wondered if the leaks on the vacuum breaker might be from freeze damage.

In order to push antifreeze into the black tank flush, you'd need to pump the antifreeze through the outside shower spray head while the shower spray head is connected to the black tank flush inlet. Of course to do that you'd have to have an outside shower with a removable spray head and standard hose fitting.

alwaysbusy

The only possible concern would be if the black flush water inlet has a check valve similar to the main water inlet. If so, the water on that side wouldn't drain.

Also, the vacuum breaker behind the shower is a bit of an unknown. Could it retain enough water to suffer freeze damage? Probably not. But I've often wondered if the leaks on the vacuum breaker might be from freeze damage.

In order to push antifreeze into the black tank flush, you'd need to pump the antifreeze through the outside shower spray head while the shower spray head is connected to the black tank flush inlet. Of course to do that you'd have to have an outside shower with a removable spray head and standard hose fitting.

Well, I'll find out in the spring time as we been well past freezing for a while here. I did not winterize the black flush as I'm relying on the diagram/my understanding to be correct.:confused:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I blow air through the black tank flush. Needed?? Better safe than sorry.
I also turn the Anderson valve to Tank and blow air to evacuate any residual water in the line to the FW tank. I can confirm water lays in that line because well after draining the FW tank this step causes water to exit via the tank's drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I can confirm water lays in that line because well after draining the FW tank this step causes water to exit via the tank's drain.

Tha

That is the only reason that I ran antifreeze this year as a month or so after I blew out the lines and put AF in the p-traps and other spots, I blew out the lines again and more water came out.

Since we had a freeze coming, I decided to run the AF to cover my @$$! :rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a washing machine, you MUST run it while pumping antifreeze (per the instructions). Not doing it will cause you grief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk