winterizing

jbeletti

Ah - Clark (ct0218) can give you a good sense of what the temps are typically out that way.

Updating my own post - this is very neat: Wunderground's Weather History/Almanac

That link is to Asheville, NC weather for December 2005. There's a temperature chart for the entire month. Looks like for the 4 days preceeding and 4 days following Christmas day, temps ranged from about 18F to 60F. Most lows were at or near freezing. So if history is any guide, looks like it gets pretty darned cold overnight in that area. You may want to wrap heat tape on your fresh water hose too.

Jim

Last edited:

L'l John

Jim,

you'll want to turn on your tank heaters and

Does this mean the Landmark has heaters for the holding and/or fresh water tank?
If so, Any idea whether the Bighorn has tank heaters? And where are the switch's located?

jbeletti

Landmark had them as an option for 2005. As of today, the Landmark site still shows them as an option:
• 110V Heat Strips for Holding Tanks

My understanding is that there is a heating pad on my fresh water tank as well but I could be mistaken. The switch in my unit is in the coat closet with all the other control stuff. Mine is a standard 110 VAC wall switch and wall plate. It was unmarked.

Bighorn as of today "does not" show them as an option.

Jim

ChopperBill

Got to reading this post again. Funny no one mentions the clothes washer water lines. When I opened my drain valves I went to the closet and opened the washer valves and could hear water draining down. Not completely satisfied that all the water was gone I took a garden hose and screwed it to the valves one at a time and ran the hose out the bedroom window and ran anti-freeze through the lines. Worse thing was is that the hose didn't completely seal so I had a little mess to clean up.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Washer water lines....

Bill.......After winterizing our 3055RL I remembered the washer lines also. I took a short piece of hose and with a funnel filled the hot and cold lines. I had an old bath towel under the connections but did get a little on the rug. Cleaned it up pretty good though. Oh well, I hope I'll remember next year when I have the suction hose hooked up to the pump and a jug of anti-freeze yet.

Tom

tdharley

Sometimes it makes more sense to me if I see it. Since there is no plumbing diagram in my manual for my Bighorn I made one myself.

If this further confuses anyone I can label all the valves and walk you through it.

Please let me know if you see any mistakes, it worked for me.

302mnio.jpg

Timperly

Big Horn 3200RL

Hi,

I have moved from a Class A to a used 06 Big Horn and am getting ready for winterizing and learning the new systems. I have a couple of questions...

1. How do I access the water heater by pass valves? I have been looking for a few days!

2.There is a water tank drain house by the water inlets...there are also three drain hoses by the axles. What are those?

3. I also have been unable to find the water pump...where is it?

I finally got so I knew where to find everthing on my Class A and now am learning all over again.

Thanks,

Jon

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

TEmperly
ON the Bighorns, you will find a panel that is in the basement, sort of on an angle on the off door side. There should be a couple of screws in the basement area and a couple in the port area were the connections are made. You will, or should find the pump and the water heater valves behind this panel. Don't forget to relieve the pressure from the water heater and pull the anode rod to drain the water heater. I hope this helps.

J

Jim_1899

2nd time winterizing tonight

Since I will be using my Big Horn all winter I will be going through the process of winterizing many times. The first time it was very hard since the directions in the manual are not complete. In fact, there are two valves that were left off and a complete step missing.

After draining the system and bypassing the water heater, a step should be added to reverse the valves to normal operation on the drain valves, close the faucets. Then change the valve to open on the siphon, and close the valve on a hose that goes to the hot water tank.

After turning on the pump the non-toxic anti-freeze is siphoned. Then I turned on the water at the bedroom sink until the pink anti freeze came out and then turned it off. I did this at the toilet, shower, kitchen and outside sprayer.

It would be nice to have a sheet for each type of RV that would give step by step instructions of winterizing and then un-winterizing. After reading comments like mine that are pieces of the process its hard to get the whole picture. I will go through the process after this next weekend again.

Jim Leach

K

Ken Washington

Hi Jim,
Just a thought, if you are going to use it that often, could you hook it up and run some heat to keep it from freezing? Also is there a heated storage area close to where you live that it could be put while not in use?

Ken

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Jim 1899
Well my dealer showed me a real easy way to winterize. It may save you some time and trouble. He bought a Black and Decker battery operated sprayer. Put a hose coupler on the spray hose and attach it directly to your city water port. You still have to by-pass the water heater. Put your antifreeze in the sprayer and turn it on. The pump will now keep your system charged while you go inside and open all the faucets. It took almost three gallons to do my RV, in about 15 minutes. It worked great.

J

Jim_1899

Ken,
I liked your idea of a heated storage area, and will check to see if there are any available near my home. With practice I will get better and faster like anything. I enjoy bowhunting with my son and my wife and I enjoy camping in the winter as much as the summer. One of the big factors on changing from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel was the heated compartments that allowed use of water in the winter. I am getting ready for this weekend and then again next weekend too, so I should get the process of winterizing with the repetition. Guess that means I have to go camping more. Oh darn.

These RV's are the most fun thing I have ever had.

Jim Leach

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I generally just blow my lines out with the air compressor if I am planning a late trip during off and on freezing. We are planning one more trip if the snow stays away. I also drain all my tanks,water heater and pour a little pink stuff in the drains. In a matter of minutes I'm ready for a trip and nothing has ever froze or busted. I have friends that have been Rving many, many years and this is how they winterize every year and never add the the pink stuff. When I know I'm done for the season I do the previous and I add the pink stuff just to ease my mind.
Happy Travels--Ken

phranc

Fireflipper , that sounds like better no hassel way to intrduce the 'pink stuff'.
but I wonder if thatway would get the antifreeze into the waterpump and related hoses ? Maybe combine an air blow out with the sprayer system ??

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Well you still have to put a little pink stuff in the pump the old fashion way. But it sh=ure beats the heck out of running outside and putting the suction hose into a fresh gallon of that pink stuff.. Also my brother does just the air blow out thing and he lives in Mich. Never had a problem, just make sure everything is empty and you won't have to worry about the pink stuff.

tdharley

For years I was a plumber & the homes that we serviced were on Dune Road on Fire Island , Long Island NY. This is a strip of land on the south shore , right on the ocean. Probably the most windy cold area around us. We were using PEX tubing on the island for years for its ability to expand under harsh conditions. The only weak point to the system is the fittings. We of course blew out all the lines with an air compressor & antifreezed all the traps.

Unless you get a build up of water and it has no place to expand to I have never had a problem just blowing out my lines. I do of course antifreeze all the traps.

I having been doing it the same way on 3 different rigs & my fathers motorhome and have not had a problem yet.

As a matter of fact just today I blew out my underground sprinkler system & of course did not add antifreeze.

This is just my thoughts on the matter so use your own discresion and make your own descision.

I am also sure that you must take into account your climate, where, and how you store your rig. Mine is stored in a Shelter King enclosure that pretty much keeps out all the wind, which freezes pipes quicker than anything else.

Don't forget the ice maker, outside sillcock (both sides) & the washing machine feed.

Last edited:

nhunter

Would wind actually factor into the freezing? I say yes as that is how a radiator works, but others say no.

tdharley

When doing a house freezeup the first thing I used to look for is uninsulated over hangs, garage pipes (usually when the door is left open), sophets,and any other place wind can blow through.

Wind is a big factor in freezing.