Would like to change my prowler from 30 amp to 50 amp service

drsasser

I have a 2014 prowler that has 30 amp service and on a trip to Ft. Pickens, Florida last week we stayed over night at Birmingham south campground on I-65, The camp spot was 30 amp only. We had the A/C on and electric hot water heater element plus my wife started the microwave and popped the 30 amp breaker, When I reset it I noticed it was hot! We have camped several times with 30 amp service but never experienced this problem but my Dometic 13,500 btu A/C unit failed earlier in the spring under warranty and I had my dealer replace it with a Dometic 15,000 btu unit and I'm thinking the extra amp draw may be causing my problem,
We went on with our vacation and didn't have any problems but we were careful not to use too many things while the A/C was running, I did feel of the breaker several times and it felt a little warm during our stay.
My project is I want to replace the 30 amp with a 50 amp and wondered if any of you guys had done this and how much trouble it would be to convert it?
Thanks
Denvis

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have a 2014 prowler that has 30 amp service and on a trip to Ft. Pickens, Florida last week we stayed over night at Birmingham south campground on I-65, The camp spot was 30 amp only. We had the A/C on and electric hot water heater element plus my wife started the microwave and popped the 30 amp breaker, When I reset it I noticed it was hot! We have camped several times with 30 amp service but never experienced this problem but my Dometic 13,500 btu A/C unit failed earlier in the spring under warranty and I had my dealer replace it with a Dometic 15,000 btu unit and I'm thinking the extra amp draw may be causing my problem,
We went on with our vacation and didn't have any problems but we were careful not to use too many things while the A/C was running, I did feel of the breaker several times and it felt a little warm during our stay.
My project is I want to replace the 30 amp with a 50 amp and wondered if any of you guys had done this and how much trouble it would be to convert it?
Thanks
Denvis

30 amp service is just a 110/120 volt circuit (one leg) and all AC plugs and appliances are on the same leg. 50 amp service is actually 2 110/120 volt circuits (2 legs totaling 240 volts) and the plugs and appliances are split between the 2 110/120 volt circuits. This would require some major rewiring of the RV but it could be done. If you are going in that direction look at installing a EMS (Energy Management System) that will protect your electrical service from overload and bad power connections.

Here is a diagram of both 30 amp and 50 amp circuits as it relates to outside power coming into your RV. If you are not comfortable with working with high voltage I would get an electrician to help.

30vs50vsdogleg.jpg

danemayer

Hi drsasser,

For starters you'll have to run #6 awg wiring (4 conductor: L1, L2, Neutral, Ground) from the new receptacle on the outside, to the circuit breaker panel. I would also expect you'd have to replace the circuit breaker panel. You'd need to check that the new panel will use the breakers you already have, or you'll have to get new breakers. The 50 amp circuit breaker panel has 2 busses and the circuit breakers each use one bus or the other. Arranging the breakers properly to balance the loads would be important.

Fred gave you good advice to install an EMS. Many people prefer the inline models and since you'd be re-doing all the electrical, it would be a minor additional step. Progressive has a lifetime warranty on EMS.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
And to that new receptacle that Dan mentioned you will need to attach that expensive 50 amp power cord.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

drsasser

30 amp service is just a 110/120 volt circuit (one leg) and all AC plugs and appliances are on the same leg. 50 amp service is actually 2 110/120 volt circuits (2 legs totaling 240 volts) and the plugs and appliances are split between the 2 110/120 volt circuits. This would require some major rewiring of the RV but it could be done. If you are going in that direction look at installing a EMS (Energy Management System) that will protect your electrical service from overload and bad power connections.

Here is a diagram of both 30 amp and 50 amp circuits as it relates to outside power coming into your RV. If you are not comfortable with working with high voltage I would get an electrician to help.

View attachment 37197

Fred
Thank you for your reply, I'm not an electrician but I do understand how the two systems work as I've owned both types, I do understand that 50 amp service has two legs of 120 volts but the 50 amp service does not use the two legs to make 220 volts and that they are used separately, one leg to power half of the 120V components and the other leg to power the rest.
I'm in the process of getting prices on the parts I need to complete the conversion

TedS

Seriously consider the SmartPlug connector for your shore power connection rather than the more common twist-lock connector
. And get the Super Flex power cord, much like the one Heartland uses with the powered cord reel.

drsasser

Seriously consider the SmartPlug connector for your shore power connection rather than the more common twist-lock connector
. And get the Super Flex power cord, much like the one Heartland uses with the powered cord reel.
Thanks for the suggestions
Where would I find a smart plug?
Would it be for a marine application?

TedS

Google SmartPlug, one word. Yes, it started with marine application.
The cable is a Surge Guard product. The cable has the plug on one end and the other is to be attached to a connector or hard wired to the coach.

Garypowell

I'm jumping in a little late here but you could simply set up another circuit for the A/C. It would seem to me that you could find that circuit take it over to somewhere in the basement. There you could install a second breaker panel and from that breaker panel run another cord out to the pedistale. One of my problems here is I am not 100% sure but I would guess that your 15,000 BTU air runs on a 20 amp circuit. So you run a #12 wire out to the pedistale and plug it into the 20 Amp plug there.

I realize your IP was that there was only a 30 Amp plug....so in those cases you'd have to figure a way to combine the two circuits back together....maybe by simply having a three way connection between the original box and your new box. Very similar to what the guys with generators have.....a transfer switch.

This way when it is cool and no A/C is needed you run off of your 30 Amp cord only...but when hot you throw the transfer switch and use your second breaker panel and cord to run just the A/C while leaving the rest of the load on the original 30 Amp cord

You'd have to put some thought into it but there would be no need to compltely rewire the whole Rig. And mama gets to run the microwave anytime she wants!

iowaone

I'm jumping in a little late here but you could simply set up another circuit for the A/C. It would seem to me that you could find that circuit take it over to somewhere in the basement. There you could install a second breaker panel and from that breaker panel run another cord out to the pedistale. One of my problems here is I am not 100% sure but I would guess that your 15,000 BTU air runs on a 20 amp circuit. So you run a #12 wire out to the pedistale and plug it into the 20 Amp plug there.

I realize your IP was that there was only a 30 Amp plug....so in those cases you'd have to figure a way to combine the two circuits back together....maybe by simply having a three way connection between the original box and your new box. Very similar to what the guys with generators have.....a transfer switch.

This way when it is cool and no A/C is needed you run off of your 30 Amp cord only...but when hot you throw the transfer switch and use your second breaker panel and cord to run just the A/C while leaving the rest of the load on the original 30 Amp cord

You'd have to put some thought into it but there would be no need to compltely rewire the whole Rig. And mama gets to run the microwave anytime she wants!

That is what I would do. If fact I did it even though I have 50amp service for those times when the pedestal is 30 amp. I did mine so I could use the 20 amp pedestal for the micro AC or fireplace depending on the situation. That was overkill but wasn't much more work or expense.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, we pick up our new 2015 Prowler P292 tomorrow morning, but we typically don't have a need to run our AC that often here in the high country (Colorado).

However, we will keep this topic thread in mind in case we find issues with our AC.