You can't get the h*ll out of Texas

Curt_Hinson

I am currently located at Canyon Trails RV Resort, San Marcos, TX. I have been here since Sunday was a week ago. I am leaving tomorrow for home (Dothan, AL) with two stops on the way. Tomorrow night, hopefully I will be talking with Andy Grimes. On the 31st of July, the wife and I will be celebrating our 54th anniversary (somewhere), then on to home.

The reason for the title: George Jones sang a song about "You can't get the h*ll out of Texas". I aim to prove him wrong tomorrow. Why? I had a little "ROAD RAGE" incident two nights ago. I was stopped at one of the famous turnaround's in Texas on I-35 making sure that the cars that were turning left wasn't coming straight through. I saw no car coming thru so I pulled out and some idiot came through the light at a very high rate of speed. We did not connect, but he thought he should remove me from the gene pool, so he pulled right in front of me and stopped. Luckily I stopped in time to keep from hitting him. He jumped out of his car and ran back to my door yelling with much profanity for me to roll the window down. I shook my head no. He yelled that he would bust the window. I put my truck in reverse and he slammed his fist into my rear view mirror. Completely shattered the big mirror and it was hanging by the wires. The guys wife jumped out of the car and finally got him back into the car. They left, I pulled over and removed the shredded mirror. The next day, I got the mirror replaced at the GMC dealer in San Marcos to the tune of $508.08. Better that than my face. If I have to go to any western states beyond Texas, I will drive around.

BTW, I have seen several Landmarks while getting here and driving around.

See everyone on the flip side.

Curt Hinson

Jim.Allison

Sorry that happened to you, that is not indicative of Texas people. But we are a big state with a lot of people in it. Many from all over the United States. Road raging is not unique to Texas and I hope you come back. I'm surprised that a real Texan did not come along and whip him. I know I would have got out to help you. I would have at least helped you file a police report and witnessed against the perpetrator.

I am currently located at Canyon Trails RV Resort, San Marcos, TX. I have been here since Sunday was a week ago. I am leaving tomorrow for home (Dothan, AL) with two stops on the way. Tomorrow night, hopefully I will be talking with Andy Grimes. On the 31st of July, the wife and I will be celebrating our 54th anniversary (somewhere), then on to home.

The reason for the title: George Jones sang a song about "You can't get the h*ll out of Texas". I aim to prove him wrong tomorrow. Why? I had a little "ROAD RAGE" incident two nights ago. I was stopped at one of the famous turnaround's in Texas on I-35 making sure that the cars that were turning left wasn't coming straight through. I saw no car coming thru so I pulled out and some idiot came through the light at a very high rate of speed. We did not connect, but he thought he should remove me from the gene pool, so he pulled right in front of me and stopped. Luckily I stopped in time to keep from hitting him. He jumped out of his car and ran back to my door yelling with much profanity for me to roll the window down. I shook my head no. He yelled that he would bust the window. I put my truck in reverse and he slammed his fist into my rear view mirror. Completely shattered the big mirror and it was hanging by the wires. The guys wife jumped out of the car and finally got him back into the car. They left, I pulled over and removed the shredded mirror. The next day, I got the mirror replaced at the GMC dealer in San Marcos to the tune of $508.08. Better that than my face. If I have to go to any western states beyond Texas, I will drive around.

BTW, I have seen several Landmarks while getting here and driving around.

See everyone on the flip side.

Curt Hinson

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dang that does suck. I have had some close calls but never had any idiots come up to me, I am a big boy though..lol. I am also having a set of train horns installed as I type for the idiots on the interstate that think it is a good idea to cut me off and slam on their brakes. Hope your trip back this way is uneventful.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Never had anything like that happen in all the time I have been fulltiming.

He must have been from California...

BC

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The second he got in front and stopped and started to get out . . . my truck and I would have pushed that guys car right out of the way . . . him with it if need be!

Road-ragers are idiots who cause most of the issues that they rage about!

Jim.Allison

I keep a 1 1/4 diameter oak stick with a leather strap on it, just in case I need to thump a tire for pressure, or incase someone else need their pressure checked.

If one is forced to use his tire thumper, it is best to get back on the road as quickly as possible. You probably do not want to spend much time thumping, as it might take all night to get where you are going.:cool:

A word to young men is do not screw with old guys. Some old guys are like pit bulls, punch one and he will come after you, he does not feel or fear your punches, he will bite, claw, and pull hair. He will pick up sticks and throw rocks. He is not fast but he will come until you run. Attack one if you must, but it is not likely to turn out well for you.

scottyb

I'm very sorry to hear of this kind of behavior. I hope you reported this tp the San Marcos police or Hays County sheriff. This guy probably has a prior history. Yes, we have our share of idiots just like every other place. I drive amongst them almost every day.

jbeletti

This helps make a case for a dash camera. I bought one at the Urbanna rally. Image quality is good but the software could be better. I got the dual cam unit. They rotate too, so one could be rotated towards the cab interior (or driver's window if needed).

olcoon

"God created man...Col. Colt made them equal"
We have spent winters in Texas for the past 3 years, and I can say that probably 99.9% of the people we have ran across were polite and from what I saw were good people. You are going to meet that type of person no matter where you go, or what you do. Sometimes I think that if there was a test to become a member of the human race, there would be a whole lot more monkeys swinging in the trees!!!

JanAndBill

Jim I carry an oak tire knocker as well. I also carry a 12" crescent wrench in the door pocket for those times an uninvited head comes in my window. Works great for close quarter attitude adjustment.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim B.. I was also thinking about a dash cam of some sorts. There is a Go Pro but I don't know how long they will record without stopping. I have had many pull in front of me the slow way down and/or Exit freeway. Do you know of a cam that will record say an hour or two loop when I am on a 6hr trip?

BC

bsuds

It depends on the size of the memory card you put in it. Some will do up to 8 hrs in a loop. You can order them from China for less than $50 including shipping. Try Buyincoins.com

Jim B.. I was also thinking about a dash cam of some sorts. There is a Go Pro but I don't know how long they will record without stopping. I have had many pull in front of me the slow way down and/or Exit freeway. Do you know of a cam that will record say an hour or two loop when I am on a 6hr trip?

BC

Jim.Allison

I saw a decently priced dash cam at Costco. Momma wants to buy one for the truck and to look out the rear of the trailer. I dont remember every feature it isted but I think it has, time, date stamp and location.

Citizens are not the only road ragers, I had a cop go off on me until my brother in law pulled out a cell phone and started taking video, he got some manners real quick. It is note worthy that many smart phones feed video images and voice recording straight to the cloud, so even if someone takes the phone the images are on the cloud. Thing is, you need to know how to use these features in a moments notice. A dash cam is always going. Its shameful that we have come to this in our society. It is a side effect of too many people and anonymity, it's easier to hide in a shell of a car and be a rude arrogant and even violent person, than it is to act the same way pushing a grocery basket at the local supermarket.

traveler44

I think that you did the right thing by trying to stay out of a fight with a nut job like that. Some day he will try to bully the wrong person and they will be carrying an equalizer. Evidently he isn't very smart in the first place or he would realize that already.

JohnD

I think that you did the right thing by trying to stay out of a fight with a nut job like that. Some day he will try to bully the wrong person and they will be carrying an equalizer. Evidently he isn't very smart in the first place or he would realize that already.

Funny . . . the other day I was the first car in a line of probably six cars stopped at a red light.

The instant that the light turned green . . . and I mean the very millisecond that the light turned green . . . the guy behind me layed on his car horn!

I almost shut my car off and stepped out to give that guy the middle finger . . . but I didn't.

Next time I probably will!

Jim.Allison

Funny . . . the other day I was the first car in a line of probably six cars stopped at a red light.

The instant that the light turned green . . . and I mean the very millisecond that the light turned green . . . the guy behind me layed on his car horn!

I almost shut my car off and stepped out to give that guy the middle finger . . . but I didn't.

Next time I probably will!

That is getting to be a habit with some people, I have noticed it of late.

When someone around me honks their horn like that, it tells me that I should proceed with caution. LOL They usually don't like it when I proceed with caution. Perhaps you should get out and look at the back of your car to see what is wrong, perhaps your gas cap is off or something. LOL. I cant help it........But like you I don't really react to it, i don't have time to get sucked into silly games with silly people.

JohnD

That is getting to be a habit with some people, I have noticed it of late.

When someone around me honks their horn like that, it tells me that I should proceed with caution. LOL They usually don't like it when I proceed with caution. Perhaps you should get out and look at the back of your car to see what is wrong, perhaps your gas cap is off or something. LOL. I cant help it........But like you I don't really react to it, i don't have time to get sucked into silly games with silly people.

Before I had my current Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 truck, I had a 1989 Dodge B350 15-passenger van that I towed our old trailer with . . .

That thing was 5-blocks long, but pulled a trailer like nobody's business!

In many ways I wish I still had it to pull my trailer . . .

Ironically, it was destroyed in a rear-ender while I was sitting at a red light by an uninsured illegal alien from Mexico who disappeared the next day after the accident (according to the police report of the accident).

Anywayz, once I was up at the neighborhood Ace Hardware . . . I always parked way out in the parking lot so that I could get out easily.

But when I came out I was all parked in . . . cars all around me!

That van was so long that I had to fanigle my way out of the parking spot (we've all been there before with our trucks) . . . in other words, I had to back in and out of the parking spot several times before I could get out of the spot!

Just as I was on my last 'fanigle' . . . some high school kid tried to be a smart@$$ and pulled around the isle right up to the side of my van and started beeping his horn for me to get out of his way!

And he was in the direction in which I had planned my exit from the parking lot isle and was too close for me to make my final exit . . .

He expected me to just pull back in to the parking spot and let him pass by!

So I just sat there for a few seconds to see if he would back up and let me leave . . . but he just kept laying on the horn . . . expecting me to get out of his way!

So, after about 30 seconds of listening to him being a dumb@$$, I shut the engine off . . . got out of the van (leaving it blocking the isle) and leisurely closed all of the windows and locked the doors . . . walked over to his drivers door and told him "Ooppsseeyy, I forgot something!" . . . and walked back in to the Ace Hardware Store, leaving my van blocking the isle and him sitting there in total confusion.

I stood inside the store watching out of the store window to make sure that he didn't do something to my van (he would have gotten his rear-end kicked had he tried anything) . . . finally after a minute or so he got the idea and backed up and moved on without incident!

One of the hardware guys in the store saw the whole thing and laughed his @$$ off at how I handled this kid!

Here is the old beast the next day after the accident:

Vansiderear.jpg Vanfront.jpg

I really do miss that van . . . it was a trailer-towing beast!

The reason that the front was smashed is that I was hit so hard from the rear end that it slammed me into the Toyota Forerunner that was in front of me (it was totalled as well).

My $1000 Reese trailer hitch setup is what took the brunt of the impact and probably saved me from more bodily damage than what I received.

That was 15 years ago and I still suffer back and shoulder problems from that accident (just had physical therapy this afternoon for the shoulder) . . .

And I still have tranny fluid stains in my driveway from that accident (drive shaft jammed into the bell housing)!

Last edited: