PDA

View Full Version : Leaf springs

StevenJ
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
On my 3600RL I noticed the the center swivel for the leaf springs is tipped towards the front. It's like most of the weight is on the front axle. This is setting level on cement. It seems it should be pointed approx. straight down or it should look like the front and rear spring is carrying the same weight. Also where the leaf springs bolt to the axle, the spring bends down then back up to where it connects to the frame. It looks like the springs are overloaded. This doesn't look normal, any suggestions?:confused::confused:

caissiel
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Can you look and see if there is a sharp bend on the plies. A broken ply sometimes can only be seen if the trailer is lifted of the springs, or when the springs are unloaded. If there is a sharp bend it might mean a broken ply at that location.

Bob&Patty
01-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I agree with Laurent, time to crawl under with a bright flashlight and do a inspection of the springs. They should not have a reverse bow or be flat. Bob:D

thomasinnv
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
post some pics too. that will help answer your ?'s

caissiel
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Unless a main ply breaks, its easier to lift the trailer off the springs and then you can observe the broken ply. If you do not change the spring early enough the main ply will break and then you are in an emergency. I had a history of broken plies on my previous trailer. Most of the time the plies broke in line with the end of the shortest ply, and not on the slide side. It was only after I removed this shorter ply that I had springs last longer. I have a feeling that springs do break when the shocks are weak, as they do on trucks here in the north with rough woods roads. The Heartland trailers have the shocks installed almost horizontal, I have a feeling that it has something to do with broken spring plies. I was always told that springs break when the Trucks are unloaded in rough roads, here in this part of the country.

dieselengineer
01-07-2010, 05:23 PM
The spring plies usually break when the spring is flex (travel distance) is at the maximum. Since there are no end of travel bumpers on the frame, the only limit is the shock (if equip) or the spring itself. I am working on adding bumpers to my coach's frame. At least for some peace of mind.

jimtoo
01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Darn dieselengineer,,,, I type to slow... I was just suggesting that the rubber bumper be added between the spring center and frame. Not to be in contact all the time, but to make contact and help absorb the load if the flex got that bad. These bumpers are on the rear of almost all pickups and also on the front of pickups that use coil springs. They are on the control arm. Might just need to make a clamp on bracket for the trailer frame. Would work similar to a Timbren that a lot of folks use on the pickups, just not be in contact with spring all the time.

Jim M

lwmcguir
01-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Sounds like you need to upgrade axles and springs to be on the safe side. At least the springs and all four of them. We have always had Luxury fifth wheel campers with 4 shocks mounted similar to the HL. Never broke a spring in many many years of towing over all kinds of roads. There is a huge difference in quality of spring material. We put the 4K on our Augusta and there is no comparison with the 3.5K that came on it. Appear to be from the same vendor as well, just different batch and heavier of course. Rides like a dream even with the extra leaf. I looked back at the forum a few weeks ago and found over 50 post with spring issues be-for I got tired of looking. It apparently was an issue which I hope is resolved now for all the new units.

caissiel
01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
On my previous trailer the axle was no more then 1" from the bumper and the springs were breaking as well.

lwmcguir
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
When I looked ours over, I decided immediately that the factory axles and springs were not suitable for an expensive camper. We put about $2700 additional money in the fix and it was well worth it. Now I will still check them but not wander if they are going to fall out or pass me on the hiway. There just isnt enough margin in some of the setups out there for safety. Not just HL either.

Rmcgrath53
01-07-2010, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=lwmcguir;104874]When I looked ours over, I decided immediately that the factory axles and springs were not suitable for an expensive camper. We put about $2700 additional money in the fix and it was well worth it. Now I will still check them but not wander if they are going to fall out or pass me on the hiway. There just isnt enough margin in some of the setups out there for safety. Not just HL either.[/QUOTE

So what did that 2700.00 buy you?. Curious what you did.

Larryheadhunter
01-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Hey friends,
Any spring or suspension issues that you can write for my Lippert thread is just more ammo to get Lippert and HL to address all the breakages. It's a darn shame that 3 leaf springs and 6K axles are standard on 14,800 lb rigs. I have 4 leaf springs on my Ford. Only 2 of 65 posts were negative, and only because they expect they will have to upgrade their suspensions as a matter of fact. That's crazy as I believe it should always be safety first and there have been just too many breakages of leaf springs and axles in less than 2 years of use. I also got 4 PM's supporting the thread. Lippert may make these suspensions for HL specs, but they cannot actually build them if they think they are unsafe. I wish there was some sort of certification to make sure no one has a major accident on the road, over this seemingly easy problem fix. Minimum 4 leaf springs and 7K axles should be the standard. I am speaking to Lippert suspension mgt in the next few days and we shall see if someone is listening. Such an easy fix it's a shame.

caissiel
01-08-2010, 07:33 AM
For information, I broke a spring ply on my F250. When I went to replace it at the spring shop the technician told me that the F250's had a reputation of breaking the main plies on the rear springs. And he told me it was not because they are loaded all the time. So I asked him if I should carry a spare main ply, he told me it would be a good Idea. So there you go its not only lippert that has problems. As I said before its not loading that breaks springs here in the bush roads I was always told it was the spring returns on these heavier trucks when unloaded in rough roads.

geeksrus
01-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey friends,
Any spring or suspension issues that you can write for my Lippert thread is just more ammo to get Lippert and HL to address all the breakages. It's a darn shame that 3 leaf springs and 6K axles are standard on 14,800 lb rigs. I have 4 leaf springs on my Ford. Only 2 of 65 posts were negative, and only because they expect they will have to upgrade their suspensions as a matter of fact. That's crazy as I believe it should always be safety first and there have been just too many breakages of leaf springs and axles in less than 2 years of use. I also got 4 PM's supporting the thread. Lippert may make these suspensions for HL specs, but they cannot actually build them if they think they are unsafe. I wish there was some sort of certification to make sure no one has a major accident on the road, over this seemingly easy problem fix. Minimum 4 leaf springs and 7K axles should be the standard. I am speaking to Lippert suspension mgt in the next few days and we shall see if someone is listening. Such an easy fix it's a shame.

Larry: I don't believe that either Lippert or Heartland will do anything about this. They've both known about the problems for over a year & they still put the same shoddy components on the units that are barely borderline for the weigh of the coaches. Whenever a customer has a problem they either 'finger-point' at the other party or in Lippert's case, push back via: 'you must be over-weight', "we just follow Heartland's specs, talk to them', 'it is due to your upgraded tires are not the originals that came with your unit', ETC.

I've b*t*h-ed about my incident on this & other forums & in fact even wrote to the CEO of HL, without an answer BTW, & the problems continue on newer unit.

Good luck with your quest.

Eh!

Eh!

lwmcguir
01-08-2010, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=lwmcguir;104874]When I looked ours over, I decided immediately that the factory axles and springs were not suitable for an expensive camper. We put about $2700 additional money in the fix and it was well worth it. Now I will still check them but not wander if they are going to fall out or pass me on the hiway. There just isnt enough margin in some of the setups out there for safety. Not just HL either.[/QUOTE

So what did that 2700.00 buy you?. Curious what you did.

We installed 8K axles and springs. Also the Trail Air suspension. The Trail Air Suspension by itself will most likely stop 90% of the spring breakage that is due to shock.

As far as some of the poster noting that they are breaking springs on trucks, I find that interesting as well have a lot of trucks and never have broken a spring. However the local utility companies with their overloaded service trucks, driving in all kinds of weather routinely break wheels but rarely springs. The local Ford Dealer says they have only replaced two springs in about 10 years. Springs shouldn't break frequently at all no matter what service they are in unless they are poorly designed.

RoadJunkie
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
What about air bags? A good jolt on the bumpers could cause a rapid stress to the frame?

caissiel
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Ford dealers here never change them, spring shops do. They can make the ply to spec and not charge much. They charged me $120.00 for one of the longer ply. That was installed. If I break a spring on my trailer I will have a spare. I carried a spare for 13 years with the previous trailer because I was left stranded the first time I broke one. With spare its a 30 Min job and you are on your way. Springs are all the same they will break sometime.

Riverman
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
For information, I broke a spring ply on my F250. When I went to replace it at the spring shop the technician told me that the F250's had a reputation of breaking the main plies on the rear springs. And he told me it was not because they are loaded all the time. So I asked him if I should carry a spare main ply, he told me it would be a good Idea. So there you go its not only lippert that has problems. As I said before its not loading that breaks springs here in the bush roads I was always told it was the spring returns on these heavier trucks when unloaded in rough roads.

I have had 4 of these F250 in the past and never had 1 spring problem with any of them. Must be bigger potholes on that side of the country....or you are putting too many potatoes in the back!

caissiel
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
When I bought my 2500 GM I was told to watch the rear spring plies because contractors had more problems with the 3/4 tons then the 1/2 tons. And yes we do have many springs breaking on trucks and they are not necessarely loaded neither. I went with 3 ply springs on my previous trailer and no more springs broke for at least 60K miles. Our transport trucks or wood hauling trucks are constantly in the spring shop. Our wood trucks haul 50% more loads then the trucks in GA. I tried to buy a spare main ply for spare when I had changed the ply on my F250 and they were out of stock, waiting for delivery. So they do change them here on the F250's. Right now with the mild weather after a month of cold weather the frost heaves are starting to show on the highways, I counted 85 of them per mile one time. So driving an RV in May when I get home is like riding a bucking horse.

jmgratz
01-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Must be the Chinese steel.

Larryheadhunter
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Geekrus,
Please put this post on my thread. Let Lippert see how upset you are. I refuse to take your cynical position at this time. You may be right but if I don't try my darndest to solve these issues, then I won't feel I have done my best to save a few lives. I say the same to everyone. The more ammo I have when speaking to Lippert the better chance we will have of some resolution.
Thanks.

Larry: I don't believe that either Lippert or Heartland will do anything about this. They've both known about the problems for over a year & they still put the same shoddy components on the units that are barely borderline for the weigh of the coaches. Whenever a customer has a problem they either 'finger-point' at the other party or in Lippert's case, push back via: 'you must be over-weight', "we just follow Heartland's specs, talk to them', 'it is due to your upgraded tires are not the originals that came with your unit', ETC.

I've b*t*h-ed about my incident on this & other forums & in fact even wrote to the CEO of HL, without an answer BTW, & the problems continue on newer unit.

Eh!

Eh!

geeksrus
01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Geekrus,
Please put this post on my thread. Let Lippert see how upset you are. I refuse to take your cynical position at this time. You may be right but if I don't try my darndest to solve these issues, then I won't feel I have done my best to save a few lives. I say the same to everyone. The more ammo I have when speaking to Lippert the better chance we will have of some resolution.
Thanks.

I'll try to put something together for you over the next couple of days.

EH!

Gary Steeves
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Due to the problems the forum members have posted, I thought it was time to check mine out. Sure enough, The main (top) spring leaf of the left rear has a definite bend down. I contacted Lippert and Von asked me to send pictures and he would get back to me. He also said since I took delivery July 2007, the warranty ran out July 2009 - so the repair will be on my dime. I'm wainting for his response and recommended "fix". The other springs look like they are pretty flat with no or very little upward arc. I wonder if I should replace them all - and with what ??

boatdoc
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Since Lippert isn't going to do anything for you or many of us that have their junk, just find a spring shop locally and have them help you out. They are easy to replace and at the same time you can install the wet bolt system also.
Just take a spring set with you to the shop and they will fix you up.

TXBobcat
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
The other springs look like they are pretty flat with no or very little upward arc. I wonder if I should replace them all - and with what ??

You probably have 6k axles with 4 leaf springs. If you can go to 7k axles with 5 leaf springs. If you can't afford the axles just increase the springs to 5 leafs.

If you can afford it and you plan to keep your trailer for a long time you might concider Mor/Ryde IS and maybe the Disk Brakes.

Thats what I did..

BC

Larryheadhunter
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I have 6K axles with 3 leaf springs Bob, so you never know till you look down there. Unfortunately with my back, I can't even look myself. Glad I did before so I knew what a crappy spring set Lippert gave me with the exact same parts that broke within the 2 year warranty. I have left messages for 2 senior mgt warranty personnel at Lippert without response. I am beginning to see what Gary talked about when he said I would get nowhere with Lippert. Time to keep on plugging away.

lwmcguir
01-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a complete set of 7K 5 leaf axles for sale. Trail Air equalizers as well. About 500 miles on them. We installed 8K.

StevenJ
01-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I crawled under our 2008 Bighorn 3600RL, and took some pics of my springs. They are Lippert 7K and they look like they are overloaded, flat and have some reverse bow, but I didn't see any breaks in them. Please take a look at the pics and tell me if this is normal.:confused::eek::confused: We purchased the unit in May of 2007.

lwmcguir
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Your rear springs are shot. You need to replace them in pairs and probably move up to the 3500# or change out the axles and springs as well.

Rmcgrath53
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Am I looking at it right. It apears to only be one wheel.

StevenJ
01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
The fourth pic is the right side and the others are the left side. I was closer to that left side with the camera. Shouldn't these springs already be 3500# with 7000# axles?

2010augusta
01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Any time a leaf spring looks like a "W" it is time to replace them. I would look for a non-Lippert replacement and maybe even a 4,000# spring, but then you would have to change all four. You still might because the front look really flat but that could be an effect from the sagging rears. That equalizer in the center should be nearly "level" when parked level.

StevenJ
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I posted a thread at Heartland General Forum about weak springs. I figured it just wasn't a Bighorn problem. I also posted pics of my springs there also. I purchased my Bighorn 3600RL in May of 2007 so it's probably out of warranty. Wouldn't Heartland or Lippert stand behind this?

StevenJ
01-16-2010, 08:49 PM
The equalizer is what caught my attention becaused they are always tipped towards the front. But this is always after I backed it into the parking spot so I figured that was why. As far a cargo goes, we don't really have anything in the back past the kitchen. The kitchen has your general amount of dishes and food for two.:confused:

jnbhobe
01-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Mine were like that and mostly the front axel. Lippert replaced all 4 and installed a wet kit the day after the Goshen rally in june.It cost me $54.00 for the wet bolt kit. JON:cool::cool::cool:

StevenJ
01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
What is a wet bolt kit?:confused:

2010augusta
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
The equalizer is what caught my attention becaused they are always tipped towards the front. But this is always after I backed it into the parking spot so I figured that was why.

Remember that when you back the trailer into a spot you need to pull straight forward and back straight in a time or two to get all the stress from turning out of the suspension. if you leave it parked with stress in the suspension it will distort the springs very quickly.

jmgratz
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
If I were in your shoes I would call Heartland Customer Service and then email them the photos. Then when they refer you to Lippert, be ready to email Lippert the photos. Have your vin ready.

jnbhobe
01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Wet bolts replace the bolts and plastic bushings on the spring eyes and shackles with brass bushings and greaseable bolts for lubrication.Jon :cool: :cool: :cool:

caissiel
01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I looked around for a while and all the trailer supplies have 3500# springs in the slipper style and not the double eye setup. The double eye ones I found were 30" long and we need 24.88" long.
Lippert seam to be the only ones with 4000 lbs units that are exact exchange to the 3500# just priced at $3.00 higher.

kakampers
01-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I crawled under our 2008 Bighorn 3600RL, and took some pics of my springs. They are Lippert 7K and they look like they are overloaded, flat and have some reverse bow, but I didn't see any breaks in them. Please take a look at the pics and tell me if this is normal.:confused::eek::confused: We purchased the unit in May of 2007.

Steven...if the flat springs in the pics are on your rear axle, you might want to check how level you are. If you are setting "pin high", you are transferring too much weight to the back axle. We had the same situation, had our rig weighed, and determined that we were 500 pounds heavier on the rear axle than on the front axle...thus causing the flat springs.

We check and we were actually several inches high in the front, even though it did not look like it. We adjusted the pin box and the hitch, bringing the unit as close to level as possible, and we now have less than 25lbs of difference between the two axles....

StevenJ
01-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that advice about the weighing of the axles, I think I'll do that this spring and check the weights of each axle and pin weight. Thanks to all who responded with advice, it really helps give direction.:)

wdk450
01-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Eh!

Eh!

I did a search of the forum using "Springs" as a search term. The earliest relevant post with the same frequently reported problems I found was from 2006 - 4 YEARS AGO!!!

lwmcguir
01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
I did a search of the forum using "Springs" as a search term. The earliest relevant post with the same frequently reported problems I found was from 2006 - 4 YEARS AGO!!!

Try some different searchs. There are a lot of them in the past 6 months.

Jimofhudsonville
05-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I had a problem with my springs on my 09 Big Horn 3670. The springs on the front axle were broken, so I called lippert and told them what happened. The person that I talked to was nasty to put it mildly. He told me I must have run through the median or hit a curb hard. So with no help from them I had to find someone to fix it. I got lucky I found a repairman that would replace all 4 springs right on my RV site in texas. So I got back to Michigan with no problems, NO THANKS TO LIPPERT!!! PS I only have 8,000 miles on the trailer

Tankie
05-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Sure is nice of Lippert to stand behind their products :mad:. I only have 10,000 miles on my 09 3670, thank God I caught them before they broke!
Thats not a very good business model, give 1 yr. warranty and hope it expires before anyone has problems then claim sorry you are out of warranty. I am sure I'll be a repeat customer:rolleyes:.

lwmcguir
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
The fourth pic is the right side and the others are the left side. I was closer to that left side with the camera. Shouldn't these springs already be 3500# with 7000# axles?

You need to get 4000# springs. Last time I checked Lippert was the only vendor that had them in the correct length. Dexter and a bunch of folks go to slipper springs when they go past 3500 pounds. Good luck and get them changed.

Larryheadhunter
05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I recently upgraded from 6K axles with 3 leaf springs UGH!, as the driver side springs completely broke, to 7K axles with 6 leaf springs. My question is that the spring leaf set was attached to the new 7K leaf springs with brakes, so what pound springs are the new ones? I don't know if they are 3500# or 4000#. I must add that my 16" aluminum rims said G, so I upgraded to G Goodyear 614's, which I understand mean 3750 lbs per axle. I don't know if that means anything regarding the springs.

I also would like to anyone who has suspension problems and haven't added your comments to my thread regarding Lippert Warranty doesn't care about Safety, please do so as I will be speaking to the VP of Lippert Warranty once again this month. Dragoon was able to get a satisfactory result, as well as several others, partially due to that thread, and I would love to help resolve HL owners suspension problems if I can, so help me help you if I get lucky. No promises, but if I were an unhappy owner of a Lippert component that has failed, I would first contact HL customer warranty service, then if out of warranty call Lippert, whose phone number is in the portal section of the forum. If I still wasn't satisfied after speaking to one of their reps, then talk or leave a voice mail for Andrew VonShoink. I wish all of you good luck. This week the West Coast Lippert Technician, Julio Garcia, is finishing up the last of my repairs. I will report on my rig's condition on my thread once he is finished.

beardedone
05-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Just for your information when I had all my (expensive) undercarriage repairs done it was at a Large commercial operation that manufactures and installs their own springs. On our trailer they took the spring packs apart and inserted another leaf to bring them up to 4000 lbs. With everything I did (see my previous post) everything rides wonderfully. The trailer does sit higher now but that is fine and we are still totally level going down the road.

Tankie
05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Thats kind of funny when i talked to Mike at Lippert warranty and asked him if i could put 4k springs on 7k axles. This i what he said: 8K axles would require a complete axle upgrade. You would not be able to replace just the springs. The tube, u-bolts, and tie-plates would all have to be changed out as well. so whats up with that?

RollingHome
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Larry, I know you've tasked yourself with this concern and you are to be commended for it. Good luck my friend, I wish you success ! Tom

caissiel
05-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Lippert told me the same when I replaced the 4 springs on mine. They supplied me new heavier 9/16" U-Bolts and heavier plates with much less holes drilled.
The old springs were not bad so I covered all the costs and changed them myself in 2 hrs.

beardedone
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Thats kind of funny when i talked to Mike at Lippert warranty and asked him if i could put 4k springs on 7k axles. This i what he said: 8K axles would require a complete axle upgrade. You would not be able to replace just the springs. The tube, u-bolts, and tie-plates would all have to be changed out as well. so whats up with that?

Well the experts I dealt with in Calgary, Standen's Spring, are very long on experience and respected for their work on commercial vehicles and RV's. They have a very large manufacturing plant also, to supply their needs and that of others. They approached the job with a great deal of confidence and the end product speaks volumes about their ability. Yes it can be done, so take your time and check around. Visit the shops to see how they operate and what kind of customers they have, such as the number of RV's and commercial companies. Don't be afraid to ask for references either.

Paul & Nan
05-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I had posted 2 days ago about our broken spring and the other three messed up. Turns out our 7K axels had 4 3000# springs. After 4 ruined tires ($1200) and another $1150 for parts and labor, we have 4 3500# springs. We lost 3 days on the road as well, but thank God that we were in a safe place when we found the problem. We have lots of documentation on this whole mess, have spoken with Heartland CS, and been blown off by Lippert. Very dissappointed that our equipment was not up to snuff. The spring shop was amazed at the size of the springs and would not allow anything that small to go back on. Hopefully that will be the end of our problems with this sort of stuff. Westward ho, and North to Alaska. Nan

boatdoc
05-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Imagine that " blown off by Lippert". WELCOME to the club!!!

Tankie
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I had the new springs Lippert sent me installed and said to say they look kind of like the old ones a little flat. As far as the issue of Lippert claiming I overloaded them not true Had it weighed I am 12480#'s on my axles. Thats 1520#'s under.
I am having Henderson Line-up install the CP system Mon. and have talked to them about inspecting springs and advising me.

lwmcguir
05-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I had posted 2 days ago about our broken spring and the other three messed up. Turns out our 7K axels had 4 3000# springs. After 4 ruined tires ($1200) and another $1150 for parts and labor, we have 4 3500# springs. We lost 3 days on the road as well, but thank God that we were in a safe place when we found the problem. We have lots of documentation on this whole mess, have spoken with Heartland CS, and been blown off by Lippert. Very dissappointed that our equipment was not up to snuff. The spring shop was amazed at the size of the springs and would not allow anything that small to go back on. Hopefully that will be the end of our problems with this sort of stuff. Westward ho, and North to Alaska. Nan

Sure would recommend the CP system considering the roads you are going to travel over. Really reduces the chucking and shock to the Coach.

Tankie
05-22-2010, 09:39 AM
We just came up I-5 out of So. CA, that stretch of road is horrible. It was hard to drive 55. In fact when I got to WA springs looked a little flatter then when I left. That is were I think the flaw is the springs they are installing can't handle the roads we are driving. Hoping the CP take some of the beating off the springs.

boatdoc
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I had the new springs Lippert sent me installed and said to say they look kind of like the old ones a little flat. As far as the issue of Lippert claiming I overloaded them not true Had it weighed I am 12480#'s on my axles. Thats 1520#'s under.
I am having Henderson Line-up install the CP system Mon. and have talked to them about inspecting springs and advising me.

I'm looking forward to the program Henderson is putting on at the Oregon rally. My second set of Lippert springs didn't stay arched for 500 miles, just as flat as the originals.

aatauses
05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi
Just a quick note on this post. I also had a concern about my trail air "tilting". I posted a few pictures here and several advised to sent to HL who in turn sent to Lippert. They stated that was normal and thought possibly the rear was loaded too heavy? We do not have anything in the rear that did not come with the unit (BH3670) so not sure what to do. My springs do not look bad, but just wondering if the trail air continues to be tilted what is happening to my springs??
al

Paul & Nan
05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Our experience is that the Trail Air tilts depending on the direction you last moved (ie forward or back, and the terrain). As for replacing with Lippert springs, do not waste the time and effort, they will send the same ole junk I am sure. We replaced with better and at least for today all is well. In fact, everything inside stayed where it should have, what a change that is. It is sad to see that folks that went with Lippert repalcement are in the same spot, again. Overloading would only be a problem if you had the right springs for your axels and then went over. JMHO Nan

Tankie
05-22-2010, 11:49 PM
It sure is funny that Lipperts excuse is that everyone has overloaded their springs and its not their product that is the problem.
The thing that burns me is when I emailed HL custmers service was there response:
I would recommend weighing the unit when you have it loaded for a trip to verify that you are not over-loading the unit in the future, just so you are certain that it is not a fault of yours.
Funny that they think I overloaded them as well.
I made the mistake of letting the repair shop install the old ones w/new ones Lippert sent. Shame on me , that won't happen again :mad:.
I will be in contact with them both again now that I have a certified weight ticket.

lwmcguir
05-23-2010, 07:18 AM
These are 4000# Lippert Springs. They are as good as Dexter or the other brands. Apparently the quality is better with the heavier springs or could be different suppliers as well.

Tankie
05-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Where did you get them? Are they on 7k axles or 8k?
It looks to me that they are an 8 pack. My 7k are only a 6 pack. Thanks

lwmcguir
05-23-2010, 02:25 PM
The complete setup is Lippert 8K axles and CP with wet bolts. Bought them from Lippert. Love the improved ride and stability. Not having to worry about a broken spring is definitely worth something as well.

kakampers
05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
We too have the 8K springs and they are on 7K axles...Lippert thought we were overloaded and increased the spring size. However, we too we over 1,000lbs UNDER our axle capacity at the time. The 8K springs actually have 7 leafs, and we've had no more problem with flat or broken springs...it's been more than a year and probably over 10,000 miles.

Tankie
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Thats odd Mike at Lippert keeps telling me I can not install 8k springs on my 7k axles.
I have seen his name on another post, but who is the service manager at Lippert? Thanks Lonnie

beardedone
05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Thats odd Mike at Lippert keeps telling me I can not install 8k springs on my 7k axles.
I have seen his name on another post, but who is the service manager at Lippert? Thanks Lonnie

I have 4000 lb springs on each end of my 7000 lb axles. I have mentioned in the past that all we did was add an extra leaf, new pin and then added CP with new and re-positioned shocks. Rides a wee bit higher and the axles are actually further apart now but it rides like a dream. It can be done.

Tankie
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Gerry you had this done at a spring shop?
I am having CP installed tomarrow will ask the if they work w/spring shop that can do the same. Thanks

ziggy
05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Tankie,
Let us know how Hendersons does for you. They are about 100 miles from us and in the same town our dealer is, since they moved. It would be interesting to hear what you think.
Kristy

Larryheadhunter
05-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I strongly suggest that anyone who is trying to deal with Lippert Warranty and has received no satisfaction should only speak to one person. His name is Andrew VonSchoink and he is the VP of Warranty. I will not publicly put out his email address out of personal privacy respect but email or call me and I will provide it to you. Lippert's phone number is located on the Portal page of this forum. The buck stops at his desk and he most likely be willing to speak to you about Lippert components that are on Heartland rigs. He has personally told me that Lippert stands behind their products.I also want to clearly state that I cannot speak for Lippert's components safety or efficacy, I only wish to assist all my Heartland friends in resolving their Lippert issues by improving the communications between all sides. I am personally distressed that Lippert doesn't just replace problem suspension parts with the next step up, as I am a strong believer that the customer is always right. Even if it costs them some coin, the good advertising is worth it.

boatdoc
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Tankie,
Let us know how Hendersons does for you. They are about 100 miles from us and in the same town our dealer is, since they moved. It would be interesting to hear what you think.
Kristy

Hi Kristy, Does Mark have visions of your springs looking like ours??? Looking forward to the Rally!!
G&D

ziggy
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Gary,
Ours look OK at least so far. That doesn't mean we won't listen... Hydraulic jacks could be calling. lol

Paul & Nan
05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
After a polite, but strongly worded email to Lippert yesterday we recieved a reply from Michael Locke at Lippert, asking for pictures, vin, serial #s on axels, reciepts, etc. and he would try to help us. We will send all info by certified mail and see what happens. Hopefully they will step up and do what is right, and perhaps look at a total recall. Gee, one can dream. LOL

I strongly suggest that anyone who is trying to deal with Lippert Warranty and has received no satisfaction should only speak to one person. His name is Andrew VonSchoink and he is the VP of Warranty. I will not publicly put out his email address out of personal privacy respect but email or call me and I will provide it to you. Lippert's phone number is located on the Portal page of this forum. The buck stops at his desk and he most likely be willing to speak to you about Lippert components that are on Heartland rigs. He has personally told me that Lippert stands behind their products.I also want to clearly state that I cannot speak for Lippert's components safety or efficacy, I only wish to assist all my Heartland friends in resolving their Lippert issues by improving the communications between all sides. I am personally distressed that Lippert doesn't just replace problem suspension parts with the next step up, as I am a strong believer that the customer is always right. Even if it costs them some coin, the good advertising is worth it.

Tankie
05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
All I can say is.... WOW what a ride:cool:. I love the CP, drove about 250 miles and I can not believe the differance. I just can't believe I waited so long.

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable. Gilbert listens to your concerns and questions. I had an appointment to have the CP installed, but when I arrived I had concerns about the 2nd set of Lippert springs. He had one of the Techs inspect my springs, as he was he informed me my tires were rubbing on my shocks. He could not believe that the shocks were installed at such a angle. They just took those sorry shocks off to stop them from damaging my tires anymore, plus they were bent.
They are going install new springs and alingn my axles as well as move my upper shocks mounts and install new shocks on my next visit.
For me I can only have work done when traveling through the area moving from jobs. Gilbert did everything he could to accomadate me. They were busy that day but they were very prompt and efficent.
IMO you can not go wrong with Henderson Line-up.

noobee
05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
All I can say is.... WOW what a ride:cool:. I love the CP, drove about 250 miles and I can not believe the differance. I just can't believe I waited so long.

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable. Gilbert listens to your concerns and questions. I had an appointment to have the CP installed, but when I arrived I had concerns about the 2nd set of Lippert springs. He had one of the Techs inspect my springs, as he was he informed me my tires were rubbing on my shocks. He could not believe that the shocks were installed at such a angle. They just took those sorry shocks off to stop them from damaging my tires anymore, plus they were bent.
They are going install new springs and alingn my axles as well as move my upper shocks mounts and install new shocks on my next visit.
For me I can only have work done when traveling through the area moving from jobs. Gilbert did everything he could to accomadate me. They were busy that day but they were very prompt and efficent.
IMO you can not go wrong with Henderson Line-up.

Please add your service comments about Henderson here: http://rvservicereviews.com/Index.asp. It will be helpful to others.

CS

ziggy
05-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Kristy, I am very happy with Henderson, they are very knowledgable and personable.

Thanks. Good to know!
Kristy

lwmcguir
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
CP is the best improvement we have ever made to one of our campers. The 5th Airborne pin box would be a close Second.

Tankie
05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
The 5th Airbourne is next along with the other stuff.

esbeasley
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Our 3580 is 2 years old last week. We have put about 8000 miles on it:

The problem: doing an inspection I found:

a) the rear axle springs on the off door side had started to "cascade" - it had about a 3/4" offset between 2nd and 3rd leaf.

b) the shock absorber had been rubbing the tire on the same axle: clearance between tire and shock on that axle side are a lot closer than on other axle.

c) found where the front axle, on the same side, the shock had never been connected (it was in the bracket but no evidence of nuts,washers, etc.) The shock is bent

d) on the door side found bent shock.

e) ALL the shocks are mounted at an odd angle to function correctly.

Had a local shop inspect and retorque (6 of 8 bolts), remove unattached shock (had to do while trailer was "hanging" to get enough clearance in the brackets). Started a conversation with Heartland about the problem, sent pictures to them and Lippert and the result was: here is a shock to replace the one that was not attached. Period.

Took a 200 mile trip and checked the bolts: two needed to be retourqued. Enough is enough so I arranged to have everything replaced from the frame down. Had the trailer weighed : neither WHEEL had over 3000# on it, so a total of 6,000# per axle (7,000# axles)

Upon removal of the Lippert axles and springs, we found:

1) the rear axle was 1/2" shorter on the off door side between the brackets and the backing plate. This was the one that was rubbing the tire.

2) ALL the shocks were bent and had been totally compressed from the original date of installation: you could not compress and remove the shocks (or install the new one sent by Heartland) as the distance between the frame bracket and axle bracket was not sufficient to remove/install a fully compressed shock. Once you hung the trailer from the frame and took pressure off the axles, the axle would drop and the shock would extend and could then be removed. One shock had threads so screwed up it had to be cut off.

3) The spring hanger bolt for the rear axle off door side in the Trail Air center bracket was worn flat on 2 sides. This is the axle the cascaded springs were found on originally

I can not tell you how disappointed I am in this. I have owned 7 RV's in the past 30 years+ and have NEVER had an issue like this and the effect this will have on my future buying pattern.

I replaced the suspension with the MorRyde IS and disk brakes. The ride is better, the brakes are AWESOME :p

jmgratz
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
IMHO you may the correct decision in getting the MorRyde IS with the disc brakes. Did you get the never lube bearings too?

Recovered from 25-May-2010
05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Hello esbeasley

Your situation mirrored mine. It is very disappointing to invest thay much money and have such a problem. On the plus side I now have an under-carriage system that is far superior and gives me quite a bit more piece of mind.

05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Yep, got the bearings to. The folks at MorRyde were great to work with.

In for a penny, in for a lot of pennies ! :o

05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
The experience with my own 7000# spring replacement is that the new ones will look the same after you change them.
It happened to me that I changed them for nothing, and lippert told me my old ones might be to soft, but the new one on the same place look the same so I keeped the old ones for spares.
The Lippert springs used have a flat section in the center and when loaded they bend back. Most ached springs will not bend in W but if there is a flat section and loaded I feel it can't help but bend backward. If your plates and U-Bolts are loose they will surely make the spring look much more bend in W.
Just my experince that Lippert never clarified with me that the spring all look like that when loaded.

kakampers
05-29-2010, 09:31 AM

THAT IS BULL...when our unit was in the factory last year they noticed the flat springs, they had Lippert come out and they put 8K (seven leaf)springs on our 7K axles!! Been driving around on them for more than a year....

boatdoc
05-29-2010, 09:57 AM
The experience with my own 7000# spring replacement is that the new ones will look the same after you change them.
It happened to me that I changed them for nothing, and lippert told me my old ones might be to soft, but the new one on the same place look the same so I keeped the old ones for spares.
The Lippert springs used have a flat section in the center and when loaded they bend back. Most ached springs will not bend in W but if there is a flat section and loaded I feel it can't help but bend backward. If your plates and U-Bolts are loose they will surely make the spring look much more bend in W.
Just my experince that Lippert never clarified with me that the spring all look like that when loaded.

Laurent, Lippert can't clarify any thing for you because IMHO they don't know anything about suspension parts. If you look at the underside of any other frame maker's trailer you will NOT see springs bent it the "w" fashion. I checked and still continue to check other trailers and have not found a single one that has "w" springs. Don't let them baffle you about how their springs are made or "loaded", their stuff is nothing but china crud and they don't care one bit about anyone but themselves and churning this crud out one after another. I've installed hundreds of boat trailer springs and not one has flat spots or a"w" in them. A spring is arched, period.

lwmcguir
05-29-2010, 10:07 AM
A properly loaded spring is arched to leave room for travel when the roadway has a pothole or bump. If the spring isn't arched then it is either to small or is worn out. Springs shouldn't wear out for many many years. I have posted several photos of what loaded springs should look like just as Gary is stating.

Tankie
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
What the deal is Lippert says I can up 8k springs on but I have to pay for it. I wish they would of been straight with me in the first place, I would of just bought the 8k and been done with it. Now I have to get the 2nd springs replace, sure am glad they care about my wallet :rolleyes:.

StevenJ
06-05-2010, 07:33 AM
I e-mailed Lippert again and responded right away, they said a serviceman e-mailed me in january 2010 for a shipping address to send new parts. I didn't see the e-mail or get a phone call, but it seems they are ready to resolve the problem now. My original e-mail was in January 2010. They are offering to send new springs and anything else I need. They said the new parts are made from another manufacturer and won't be the same parts. My question is should I take the parts or not, one post I read said the new parts were not any better than the old ones. I asked about going to a 8000# leaf springs(we have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn, 7000# axles), Lisa said the they may be too stiff for the frame and it may cause the frame to develope camber( frame bending?). I can do the work myself with 10 ton jacks and the proper tools, I'm just wondering if I should get the 7000# or bump up to the 8000# springs, I should ask Lisa if the warranty would be voided if I used the 8000# springs. This all transpired in the last week so if anyone else is having issues it would be a goood time to e-mail them. Go to the Lippert site, then go to service tab.

SmokeyBare
06-05-2010, 11:48 AM
StevenJ,

I would take the parts and trust that Lippert has made the needed changes to their suppliers so the "Spring" problems they have had go away.

Marv

tmcran
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
StevenJ,

I would take the parts and trust that Lippert has made the needed changes to their suppliers so the "Spring" problems they have had go away.

Marv

Trust Lippert? Now that is a novel idea.

Tankie
06-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I wish I would have upgraded to the 8k springs and been done with it. I had to spend $400 to replace the the old ones with the new springs Lippert sent me and they don't look much better than the old ones.

boatdoc
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I e-mailed Lippert again and responded right away, they said a serviceman e-mailed me in january 2010 for a shipping address to send new parts. I didn't see the e-mail or get a phone call, but it seems they are ready to resolve the problem now. My original e-mail was in January 2010. They are offering to send new springs and anything else I need. They said the new parts are made from another manufacturer and won't be the same parts. My question is should I take the parts or not, one post I read said the new parts were not any better than the old ones. I asked about going to a 8000# leaf springs(we have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn, 7000# axles), Lisa said the they may be too stiff for the frame and it may cause the frame to develope camber( frame bending?). I can do the work myself with 10 ton jacks and the proper tools, I'm just wondering if I should get the 7000# or bump up to the 8000# springs, I should ask Lisa if the warranty would be voided if I used the 8000# springs. This all transpired in the last week so if anyone else is having issues it would be a goood time to e-mail them. Go to the Lippert site, then go to service tab.

What warranty??? Your trailer is an '08 and when they sent me my NEW POS springs they said there would be NO warranty because a 18Y/O highschool dropout, working for a dealer wasn't installing them, I WAS, so NO warranty. They don't believe in warranty, no way no how!!!!

boatdoc
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Trust Lippert? Now that is a novel idea.

Ain't that the truth!!!!

Tankie
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
ditto here!!!! Thanks for the cash now KMA

Tankie
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
If you happen to be on a lot just take a look at the springs on the new units that have just traveled from the manufacture.

StevenJ
06-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I had been e-mailing to Lippert and dealing with Lisa. Her last e-mail said they are waiting for me to tell what parts I need and they will send them. It looks like I should upsize to 4000# springs, my concern is that Lisa said it may causr the frame to camber(frame bending) from too stiff of a spring. I was wondering if anyone had upsized and had any problems or maybe if you did check for frame bending?

Tankie
06-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I have been dealing with Mike at Lippert and he never said anything about frame issues with the upgrade to 8k springs. Just that if I did Lippert only replaces like with like and the total cost would come out of my pocket.
I know that there are a few people on here that have upgraded to 8k springs. Do a search for Lippert warranty doen't care about safety. Good luck.

lwmcguir
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I had been e-mailing to Lippert and dealing with Lisa. Her last e-mail said they are waiting for me to tell what parts I need and they will send them. It looks like I should upsize to 4000# springs, my concern is that Lisa said it may causr the frame to camber(frame bending) from too stiff of a spring. I was wondering if anyone had upsized and had any problems or maybe if you did check for frame bending?

Sounds like Lisa might need to be re-trained. Interesting that a 500 pound rating increase could bend the H Beam. With not springs just an axle perhaps. Pretty silly comment from someone that should know a bit more than that.

lwmcguir
06-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I have been dealing with Mike at Lippert and he never said anything about frame issues with the upgrade to 8k springs. Just that if I did Lippert only replaces like with like and the total cost would come out of my pocket.
I know that there are a few people on here that have upgraded to 8k springs. Do a search for Lippert warranty doen't care about safety. Good luck.

A lot easier on the frame if you have springs that have a bow in them and can actually give when you hit a pot hole. The other side is a spring that is already sprung and the frame has to take the beating. What happens when you have empty cargo flat bed trailers? Do the frames bend. What a stupid comment from the Lippert person.

Jimofhudsonville
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I did weigh mine, it weighed a total of 11,280#, front axle was 6,080# and the rear was 5,200#. I think this should be okay, but if anyone does't, let me know because my first springs broke before they were 18 months old. Lippert refused to help me at all with this. Maybe" Trail Life"
will help me with this.

kakampers
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM

This is BS...tell Lisa Lippert put 8,000# springs on our 08' 3600RL over a year ago...left the 7K axles...we've not had a problem since and there is absolutely NO frame issues!!! They apparently thought we were overloaded, which we are not...we carry just under 13,000lbs on these axles and springs...it did make for a slightly rougher ride, we just had to secure a few cabinets that didn't need it before.

Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...

kakampers
06-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I did weigh mine, it weighed a total of 11,280#, front axle was 6,080# and the rear was 5,200#. I think this should be okay, but if anyone does't, let me know because my first springs broke before they were 18 months old. Lippert refused to help me at all with this. Maybe" Trail Life"
will help me with this.

Yes...this is a problem, your axles should be as close in weight as possible...sounds to me like you are low in the front...raise your pin up on the hitch and weigh it again...JMHO! If those springs that broke were on the front, this could be why...

Tankie
06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Did u keep your shocks when u upgraded to 8k springs?

kakampers
06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes...shocks are still on our unit....

StevenJ
06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I finally had a chance to weigh my 2008 3600RL fifth wheel. the front axle was 5820# and the rear was 5920#, even if the holding tanks were full I don't see why to upsize to 4000# springs verses my orginal 3500# springs. I don't want the trailer riding too stiff, do you think the new spring will actually be 3500# or weak like the old ones, even if they are made from a different manufacturer. Look at these springs, they can't be made out of very good steel. What to do???????????

kakampers
06-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I finally had a chance to weigh my 2008 3600RL fifth wheel. the front axle was 5820# and the rear was 5920#, even if the holding tanks were full I don't see why to upsize to 4000# springs verses my orginal 3500# springs. I don't want the trailer riding too stiff, do you think the new spring will actually be 3500# or weak like the old ones, even if they are made from a different manufacturer. Look at these springs, they can't be made out of very good steel. What to do???????????

Let me guess...that last pic is of the rear axle on the kitchen slide side??? All of our springs looked like that, but we do weigh about a 1,000lbs more on our axles, since we fulltime....but still under the GAWR for each axle. However, our 3,500lb springs should have been able to handle that.

In your case, since you are so far under the GAWR, I'd opt to try the new 3,500lb springs, and hope they really did find a better vendor.

lwmcguir
06-18-2010, 10:37 PM
In your #5 photo that spring is shot. Go with the 4000# springs. Add the CP and you will enjoy the safety and the ride.

boatdoc
06-18-2010, 11:20 PM
StevenJ,

Marv

I wouldn't trust Lippert if they were half way around the world, OH wait that is where they get their JUNK!!!!!

caissiel
06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Your springs look exactly like mine did
I send Pictures to Lippert and they told me if the springs were bad they would refund me for new springs.
I received new springs and changed all 4 springs.
The old and new springs look exactly the same loaded or unloaded.

The reason the springs are in a W shape is that the springs have a flat section on the center before load is applied.
Most other manufactures curve the complete spring plies, including the center area.
Its only normal that the center would bend down a little when loaded.
I wish Lippert Rep would have told me that, before I changed all my springs.
I kept the original springs for spares and I carry spares all the time when I travel, and I change them in pairs usualy.

You can only see the unloaded form when you jack the trailer by the frame.

lwmcguir
06-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Lippert springs on an Augusta. This is the way I like to see them loaded.

06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Just a dumb question. Should that center point be touching the under belly material?

beardedone
06-21-2010, 09:30 AM
I have the same system Ray and it to touches the coreplast belly liner. I am watching it but it should be an easy fix if it starts to wear through.

boatdoc
06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
So what's the part number on these 8 leaf springs and are they a Lippert spring made in China? Thanks

StevenJ
06-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Nice looking springs, are those lippert springs and what weight rating are they?

kakampers
06-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice looking springs, are those lippert springs and what weight rating are they?

As he said, they are Lippert Springs, same thing we had put on ours 8,000lbs....ours look the same way, just not as clean...LOL!!

StevenJ
06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I just ordered 4000# springs from Lippert to replace my sagging ones, I hope mine look those when installed. We'll see?

noobee
06-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I just ordered 4000# springs from Lippert to replace my sagging ones, I hope mine look those when installed. We'll see?

With all the problems with Lippert springs, why didn't you order the new ones from elsewhere?

CS

kakampers
06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
With all the problems with Lippert springs, why didn't you order the new ones from elsewhere?

CS

We've not had any problems with the Lippert 8000lb springs we put on, and they've been on for more than a year and more than 5,000 miles...

kakampers
06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I have the same system Ray and it to touches the coreplast belly liner. I am watching it but it should be an easy fix if it starts to wear through.

Same here....

Delaine and Lindy
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
We have the 8,000 suspension also, but it doesn't touch the underbelly. But our suspension has three settings to raise and lower the 5er to ride level. We have about 5,500 miles since Aug of 2009. We are in Casper Wyoming in route to Cody in three days. I'm a firm believer in the Center point suspension system, we leave the toaster and the coffee pot sitting on the counter by the stove under the micro/Convection oven and it never moves. We must not forget Lippert builds more than 80 to 90 percent of all frames and suspension systems for the 5th wheels could be the reason they do have some issues... GBY...

NWTFHunter
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Well I have been reading about all those who have had problems with leaf springs on their Bighorns and have to add my name to the list. I was checking over the trailer yesterday morning before heading home and noticed that the front leaf spring on the door side was broken. The top ply was broken and I noticed that the edge where it broke was not clean shiny metal. About 1/3 of the surface was rusty which tells me that it must have been cracked for some time which allowed rust to form. We were able to get back home with no problem and the dealer looked at it this afternoon. Tomorrow morning I'll find out what they learn from Lippert and what local supply they can find for replacement. They said they should be able to get us back on the road next week so we can head to Nashville for the Rally.

Ray LeTourneau
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Michael. I hope all goes well for you. Hopefully they'll replace all 4 springs. While it's in for repair, I'd seriously consider adding the wet bolt kit to the shackles for longer life of the shackles and bolts.