Leaf springs

Delaine and Lindy

We have the 8,000 suspension also, but it doesn't touch the underbelly. But our suspension has three settings to raise and lower the 5er to ride level. We have about 5,500 miles since Aug of 2009. We are in Casper Wyoming in route to Cody in three days. I'm a firm believer in the Center point suspension system, we leave the toaster and the coffee pot sitting on the counter by the stove under the micro/Convection oven and it never moves. We must not forget Lippert builds more than 80 to 90 percent of all frames and suspension systems for the 5th wheels could be the reason they do have some issues... GBY...

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Well I have been reading about all those who have had problems with leaf springs on their Bighorns and have to add my name to the list. I was checking over the trailer yesterday morning before heading home and noticed that the front leaf spring on the door side was broken. The top ply was broken and I noticed that the edge where it broke was not clean shiny metal. About 1/3 of the surface was rusty which tells me that it must have been cracked for some time which allowed rust to form. We were able to get back home with no problem and the dealer looked at it this afternoon. Tomorrow morning I'll find out what they learn from Lippert and what local supply they can find for replacement. They said they should be able to get us back on the road next week so we can head to Nashville for the Rally.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry to hear that Michael. I hope all goes well for you. Hopefully they'll replace all 4 springs. While it's in for repair, I'd seriously consider adding the wet bolt kit to the shackles for longer life of the shackles and bolts.