Leaf springs

I did weigh mine, it weighed a total of 11,280#, front axle was 6,080# and the rear was 5,200#. I think this should be okay, but if anyone does't, let me know because my first springs broke before they were 18 months old. Lippert refused to help me at all with this. Maybe" Trail Life"
will help me with this.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I e-mailed Lippert again and responded right away, they said a serviceman e-mailed me in january 2010 for a shipping address to send new parts. I didn't see the e-mail or get a phone call, but it seems they are ready to resolve the problem now. My original e-mail was in January 2010. They are offering to send new springs and anything else I need. They said the new parts are made from another manufacturer and won't be the same parts. My question is should I take the parts or not, one post I read said the new parts were not any better than the old ones. I asked about going to a 8000# leaf springs(we have a 2008 3600RL Bighorn, 7000# axles), Lisa said the they may be too stiff for the frame and it may cause the frame to develope camber( frame bending?). I can do the work myself with 10 ton jacks and the proper tools, I'm just wondering if I should get the 7000# or bump up to the 8000# springs, I should ask Lisa if the warranty would be voided if I used the 8000# springs. This all transpired in the last week so if anyone else is having issues it would be a goood time to e-mail them. Go to the Lippert site, then go to service tab.

This is BS...tell Lisa Lippert put 8,000# springs on our 08' 3600RL over a year ago...left the 7K axles...we've not had a problem since and there is absolutely NO frame issues!!! They apparently thought we were overloaded, which we are not...we carry just under 13,000lbs on these axles and springs...it did make for a slightly rougher ride, we just had to secure a few cabinets that didn't need it before.

Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...

kakampers

I did weigh mine, it weighed a total of 11,280#, front axle was 6,080# and the rear was 5,200#. I think this should be okay, but if anyone does't, let me know because my first springs broke before they were 18 months old. Lippert refused to help me at all with this. Maybe" Trail Life"
will help me with this.

Yes...this is a problem, your axles should be as close in weight as possible...sounds to me like you are low in the front...raise your pin up on the hitch and weigh it again...JMHO! If those springs that broke were on the front, this could be why...

StevenJ

bighorn frame 005.jpgbighorn frame 002.jpgbighorn frame 003.jpgbighorn frame 004.jpgbighorn frame 001.jpg
I finally had a chance to weigh my 2008 3600RL fifth wheel. the front axle was 5820# and the rear was 5920#, even if the holding tanks were full I don't see why to upsize to 4000# springs verses my orginal 3500# springs. I don't want the trailer riding too stiff, do you think the new spring will actually be 3500# or weak like the old ones, even if they are made from a different manufacturer. Look at these springs, they can't be made out of very good steel. What to do???????????

kakampers

View attachment 9041View attachment 9040View attachment 9039View attachment 9038View attachment 9037
I finally had a chance to weigh my 2008 3600RL fifth wheel. the front axle was 5820# and the rear was 5920#, even if the holding tanks were full I don't see why to upsize to 4000# springs verses my orginal 3500# springs. I don't want the trailer riding too stiff, do you think the new spring will actually be 3500# or weak like the old ones, even if they are made from a different manufacturer. Look at these springs, they can't be made out of very good steel. What to do???????????

Let me guess...that last pic is of the rear axle on the kitchen slide side??? All of our springs looked like that, but we do weigh about a 1,000lbs more on our axles, since we fulltime....but still under the GAWR for each axle. However, our 3,500lb springs should have been able to handle that.

In your case, since you are so far under the GAWR, I'd opt to try the new 3,500lb springs, and hope they really did find a better vendor.

lwmcguir

In your #5 photo that spring is shot. Go with the 4000# springs. Add the CP and you will enjoy the safety and the ride.

boatdoc

StevenJ,

I would take the parts and trust that Lippert has made the needed changes to their suppliers so the "Spring" problems they have had go away.

Marv

I wouldn't trust Lippert if they were half way around the world, OH wait that is where they get their JUNK!!!!!

caissiel

Your springs look exactly like mine did
I send Pictures to Lippert and they told me if the springs were bad they would refund me for new springs.
I received new springs and changed all 4 springs.
The old and new springs look exactly the same loaded or unloaded.

The reason the springs are in a W shape is that the springs have a flat section on the center before load is applied.
Most other manufactures curve the complete spring plies, including the center area.
Its only normal that the center would bend down a little when loaded.
I wish Lippert Rep would have told me that, before I changed all my springs.
I kept the original springs for spares and I carry spares all the time when I travel, and I change them in pairs usualy.

You can only see the unloaded form when you jack the trailer by the frame.

lwmcguir

Lippert springs on an Augusta. This is the way I like to see them loaded.

Attachments

• HPIM2553.jpg
    HPIM2553.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 70

beardedone

Beardedone
I have the same system Ray and it to touches the coreplast belly liner. I am watching it but it should be an easy fix if it starts to wear through.

StevenJ

I just ordered 4000# springs from Lippert to replace my sagging ones, I hope mine look those when installed. We'll see?

kakampers

With all the problems with Lippert springs, why didn't you order the new ones from elsewhere?

CS

We've not had any problems with the Lippert 8000lb springs we put on, and they've been on for more than a year and more than 5,000 miles...