Tire wear - outside tread

MTPockets

My G614's on 7000 lb axles, w/EZ flex, are wearing on the outside tread on both sides of tire, on the forward axle. Tires have about 15,000 miles. I've read threads about bent or misaligned axles, but how can you tell? Seems odd only the outer tread on both sides is worn.

danemayer

From the Goodyear website:
  • [h=3]Wear on both edges: UNDERINFLATION[/h] Underinflation increases the treadwear on a tire's outside edges and generates excessive heat, reducing the tire's toughness. Soft tires also increase rolling resistance, reducing fuel economy.
  • [h=3]Wear in center: OVERINFLATION[/h] Overinflation increases wear on the center tread.
  • [h=3]Cups or dips in the tread: WORN PARTS[/h] Cupping or dipping is most common on front tires, but rear tires can cup as well.
  • [h=3]Sawtooth edges: MISALIGNMENT[/h] Misalignment causes erratic scrubbing against the road giving the tire's edges a sawtooth-like appearance.

MTPockets

From the Goodyear website:
Yes Dan, I've been aware of this but I keep tires at 110 and am not overloaded. Tires and axles are upgraded from factory 6000 lb axles. Actual individual scale weight on those tires, 2750 lbs & 2650 lbs. I'm thinking front axle alignment is off?

Majestic

If it is just the outside of the tire on both front axle tires, my alignment shop told me the front axle is out of alignment.

if you look at Lippert's site they have a video on the correct track alignment process. Fairly easy if you have a mechanical skill.

jimtoo

If both tires are wearing on the outside edge you need to have the alignment checked. Normally outside edge tread wear is caused by to much toe-in. Not sure but probably 1/16th inch would be about normal.. any more and you will see tread wear on outside.

Jim M

danemayer

Yes Dan, I've been aware of this but I keep tires at 110 and am not overloaded. Tires and axles are upgraded from factory 6000 lb axles. Actual individual scale weight on those tires, 2750 lbs & 2650 lbs. I'm thinking front axle alignment is off?
Are you towing with the nose level? If nose low, you could be overloading the front axle. Scales might not pick that up.

aatauses

Some good advice----Dan appreciate the GY information---seems funny---if you look in your HL manual about tires, it says if tire wear is the outsides then inflation is too high???
I would check the level of the Rv once you are hooked up--you may have too much pressure on the front tires---also if you do plan to get an alignment I would recommend Hendersons in Grants Pass, or---they have done mine and been very happy with their service.
al

Manzan

I had extreme wear on the inside edge with only 3800 miles on the trailer. Turned out to be bent axels--replaced under warranty. Good dealer and so was Lippert. Get alignment and axels checked.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you sure it's worn irregularly? Here's a few pics of a new tire I found online.
goodyear-g614-rst.jpgIMG_0293.jpg

GOTTOYS

If it is just the outside of the tire on both front axle tires, my alignment shop told me the front axle is out of alignment.

if you look at Lippert's site they have a video on the correct track alignment process. Fairly easy if you have a mechanical skill.
Correct rack will only allow adjustment for tracking. They do not do anything for adjusting camber or adjusting toe. Bring it to a big truck/trailer alignment shop and get a REAL alignment. They will check and adjust everything for $150.-$200.00 all done. An RV dealer will sell you a new axle if the toe or camber is off for a LOT more $$. There is no guaranty that a new axle will be perfect...Don

MTPockets

Are you towing with the nose level? If nose low, you could be overloading the front axle. Scales might not pick that up.
Been thinking about this. Nose may have a very slight difference (lower) but not obvious. I would think scale would show that, but I checked my weight ticket and actually the rear axle tires show slightly more than front axle tires. 50 lbs on left and 100 lbs more on right rear.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When I was running G614's they appeared to be wearing on the outside like you mention. II have MorRyde IS and didn't feell I had an alignment problem. I had my local Goodyear dealer reverse the tires on the wheels and re-balance the tires.
Just now, giving this some thought, I wonder if this may have lead to the failure of two tires on the door side last spring. (5 year old tires and big pot holes) I think the dealer would have said something prior to doing this but he didn't. There is no mounting direction showing on the tire so...?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
MT, they look the same as mine. If you are looking for groves in the outside and inside treads....GY's don't have any, they are smooth. At least mine don't and have been on the Horn for 4 years and are wearing like iron. Maybe you just never noticed it before. Get a tread depth gage and measure the inside and out treads. If they are the same....then worry no more.

MTPockets

MT, they look the same as mine. If you are looking for groves in the outside and inside treads....GY's don't have any, they are smooth. At least mine don't and have been on the Horn for 4 years and are wearing like iron. Maybe you just never noticed it before. Get a tread depth gage and measure the inside and out treads. If they are the same....then worry no more.
The inside treads look really good, but the outside smooth area has a definite dip, it's not the same level; up close it can be seen and definitely felt with the fingers. Kinda like it's been ground down from the edge to about 3/4" in to towards center.

whp4262

My G614's on 7000 lb axles, w/EZ flex, are wearing on the outside tread on both sides of tire, on the forward axle. Tires have about 15,000 miles. I've read threads about bent or misaligned axles, but how can you tell? Seems odd only the outer tread on both sides is worn.

In the picture it looks more like the tire is rubbing on something instead of road wear. That's a pretty narrow band.

jnbhobe

The inside treads look really good, but the outside smooth area has a definite dip, it's not the same level; up close it can be seen and definitely felt with the fingers. Kinda like it's been ground down from the edge to about 3/4" in to towards center.

Both sets of GY-614 I have had wear the same way. It almost feels like the rubber has been scrubbed off, but its the sane with both spring suspension and the Mor-Ryde IS. So I'm not going to worry about it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My G614's seem to be slightly worn on the front tire outside edges also, but it is evenly worn. It is hard to tell how much they are worn because of the smooth edge on these tires.

I was concerned at first, but I have talked to others with the same symptom. It may just be the nature of the beast. I will just keep watching to make sure it does not become excessive. Trace

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
MT, several things you need to consider. It might be just the way GY's wear. On any vehicle car/truck....dont matter. A right front tire always wears more on the outside edge than a left front tire and on a tandum axle rig like ours, the right front tire will wear the most. Why, because all left turns are made at a higher speed than right turns. These trailers have very little suspension give in turns. They will scrub harder on the pavement and wear on the outside edge because the tires are real close together and more so on the right front tire. Have you ever made a hard turn....70-80*'s...stopped...got out and looked at how distorted they are? I have to make almost a 90* turn on our street to get lined up to back into the driveway and it looks at times that the tires are going pop off the rims. These heavy coachs are hard on tires....just the way it is. You may have an alignment issue...don't know. I'm going to use mine up until there is nothing left and not worry about it cause GY's ain't cheap.