Tire wear - outside tread

Bobby A

Very interesting topic gang, I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I've been complaining of this exact thing on my G614's for the last 4 years. When I travel the outside of the tires have like rubber dust on them. I've had the axle's checked a few times and everything is normal, as one poster said, it just may be the way these tires wear. I'm not gonna lie, it does still concern me but I've been assured there is nothing wrong. I make sure my tires are at 110PSI and try not to worry to much while traveling. I will be on a 1200 mile trip in a few weeks, my worries do continue.

MTPockets

Well, lots of food for thought; and, logical. I'm gonna just drive on and see if the wear gets worse since we 're on the move anyway until June 15th when we stop for three months in Cody, WY. Thanks for the input.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen the same wear on my tires, actually two sets that I have had on two different rigs.
I had concerns, but then started checking other rigs with the G614's.
Nearly all had the same wear. I think there was only one that did now show that wear.
I have had my axles aligned at a big rig shop, so I am confident they are good.
Same wear, I don't worry about it anymore.

Peace
Dave

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I noticed the same on our 614's and questioned it when we were getting new truck tires. The outside tread groove is not as deep as the interior grooving. Our Goodyear guy said he would not worry as it is normal for that tire design. I looked at new tires at an RV show and he was right. There is a noticeable difference in tread depth on the outside of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

May be normal, but it would be interesting to understand the science. It's definitely wear as it's primarily on the front axle. Scrubbing during turns could be it, but seems it would not be as abrupt wear edge as is present. However, scrubbing during turns is the most plausible explanation right now.