Tire wear - normal or abnormal

Fox

I very recently purchased a pre-owned Big Horn and now I'm noticing what I consider abnormal tire wear. The 5th itself looks unused - like its not been on the road, BUT ...
all four tires are worn on the outside edges (all four tires, both inner and outer edges); the center tread appears new.

All I can figure is the prior owner got into a parking lot and started doing donuts, or at least made many sharp turns. I'm concerned - should I be?
The walk thru is later today.

Last edited:

Fox

Re: Normal (or abnormal)

I can only assume (yeah, I know) - they are original.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Please tell us the brand, and locate the date code on the tire. Depending on those factors, it could be "normal" or "not-normal". The Sailun brand tires can exhibit a pattern of wear similar to what you're describing, but please post some pics so folks can help evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Since you report the rig “looked unused,” i would ask was the rig stored for long periods on a concrete pad? I had a similar “cupping” on the tires of a small trailer I pull. My SIL, an automotive instructor in a VoTech, explained that tires left sitting in one position for long periods of time on concrete develop a hard spot where they make contact with the surface. He further explained that each time the tire makes a revolution, there is a slight “hop” that, while maybe unnoticeable to the driver, causes excess wear at the landing spot from this hop which results in the unusual tire pattern.

Fox

I guess I wasn't clear on one portion, this observed wear is all 360 degrees of each tire, both inner and outer edges.

Trailer is out of town and my walk thru is just over 2 hours away so no time to read and report; I was just asking if this had been observed before.
Guess I need to ask during the walk-thru and see what they think - and if they're willing to swap them out (I doubt it).

jerryjay11

Two issues I would look at is bearings and tire balance. Because it is only a year old I'd lean towards tire balancing as many shops, including camper sales don't bother to do so. Your rig may not look like it was used much, but that doesn't mean it hasn't traveled many, many miles. The chart below should be helpful to explain this. You are describing tire cupping.

Tire-Wear-Chart.jpg

Fox

According to that graphic these four tires were run under-inflated.
I'm a fanatic about tire pressures (I used TPMS sensors on my previous trailers) so will check and keep an eye on it.

Thank you for that helpful post.

EDIT IN: I SAVED THE SENSORS (TST 507?) FROM MY PRIOR UNIT AND WILL INSTALL THEM ON THE NEW UNIT. NEW BATTERIES ON HAND.

jerryjay11

Reread your post and agree with the under inflation. If you can't get the dealer to replace them at their cost, maybe you can work out a 50/50 deal with them.

mlpeloquin

It maybe under inflation, but inline tires scrub on the inner and outer edges when turning. Every turn causes the tires to flex to the edges. So it maybe normal ware. My Goodyear G614's have don so as well and I keep them at 105psi with 90psi being the required using the weight inflation tables from Goodyear. When you turn sharp or when you back in look closely at just how much the tires flex and ride on and scrub the edges.

Fox

They're blowing it off - and in fairness the tires aren't bad, just noticeable (once observed).

What gets me is the guy doing the walk-thru guessed the tire pressure should be between 65-80 (according to the sticker its 110). He will check the pressure and bring them to specs.
I WILL PERSONALLY PUT A GAUGE ON ALL 4 BEFORE PULLING OUT. Otherwise we only found a few minor things for them to fix.

Pick up scheduled for Tuesday morning.

TravelTiger

They're blowing it off - and in fairness the tires aren't bad, just noticeable (once observed).

What gets me is the guy doing the walk-thru guessed the tire pressure should be between 65-80 (according to the sticker its 110). He will check the pressure and bring them to specs.
I WILL PERSONALLY PUT A GAUGE ON ALL 4 BEFORE PULLING OUT. Otherwise we only found a few minor things for them to fix.

Pick up scheduled for Tuesday morning.

I'd also check the date codes. Anything about 4 years old or older will probably need to be replaced no matter the look of them.

mlpeloquin

Four years is one short of recommended for trailer tires. It isn't a bad idea to change them sooner, but do not add the the maximum five year recommended age. My Goodyear G614's are approaching their five year point. I have ordered Sailun tires to replace them.

Fox

It maybe under inflation, but inline tires scrub on the inner and outer edges when turning. Every turn causes the tires to flex to the edges. So it maybe normal ware. My Goodyear G614's have don so as well and I keep them at 105psi with 90psi being the required using the weight inflation tables from Goodyear. When you turn sharp or when you back in look closely at just how much the tires flex and ride on and scrub the edges.

As noted in my opening statement: "All I can figure is the prior owner got into a parking lot and started doing donuts, or at least made many sharp turns. I'm concerned - should I be?"
By all other indications I believe it was a (owner error) pressure problem - and I'm surprised I didn't even think of that.

Speaking of replacement tires, what brand names are worthy of consideration? Are the Chinese brands still time-bombs or has that been resolved?

TravelTiger

Four years is one short of recommended for trailer tires. It isn't a bad idea to change them sooner, but do not add the the maximum five year recommended age. My Goodyear G614's are approaching their five year point. I have ordered Sailun tires to replace them.

5 years if you know the miles and maintenance of them, maybe. Our two previous trailers and some posted here seem to have a tire issue before the 5 year mark, even with well maintained tires.

mlpeloquin

Goodyear will fix your rig if they blow before five years. The cost of them is a big hit. Sailun tires so far have proven to be reliable and at a cost that make it easy to replace them at the four year mark. I order mine through Simple tires. I order five to have the spare tire be the same. $822.60 with the FET added and free shipping. They have installers to choose from all around the country and will ship them there. You can also have them shipped to your stick and brick.

https://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-5540993-tires

RickL

Ok, I’ll wade into the pool. First the chart shown is a good starting point HOWEVER when you get to steel belted radial tires it isn’t a slam dunk chart. On belted bias tires yes, but not radial tires. That is why in the tire industry we call it irregular wear patterns.

Yes the the first thing I would do is make sure I have a tire pressure gauge that is tested against a master gauge. Secondly I would have a tread gauge (yes, one that is again verified correct). Sometimes wear is an optical allusion. Measuring the treadface provides you with actual facts.

I would first say say that not only is the pressures run in question, but also you need to know the weights of each wheel position. That way you can set the pressures correctly according to a load an inflation chart.

Finally i I don’t subscribe into the year proposition. The year the tire was made doesn’t really concern me, the weather checking on the sidewall and in the tread area (channels) are more of an indication. Now I will say this, those that aren’t comfortable as the tires ages regardless of the remains tread need to follow thier fears. Your level of comfort is worth the price of admission.

Im not a self proclaimed expert just someone that has well over 35 years experience in the tire industry with the 3 largest tire companies and being an independent dealer.