What could cause one tire to wear on inside of tread?

212Pilot

Everyone is hailing Sailun S637 tires as the best. I have a 2017 Cyclone with about 15k miles and all 6 tires are at 25% tread remaining. This past Friday I had to put the spare on because the right rear tire tread on the inside of the tire was completely bald. I had checked all tires before the 200 mile trip and they were all worn about the same then upon arrival the one was shot. I don't know what would cause such fast wear other than wheel alignment. I have the Moride suspension which I thought was self aligning. I check the air pressure before each road trip to make sure they are properly inflated.
IMG_9398.JPG

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there is such a thing as a self aligning system.
Like Jerrod said, check the wheel bearings and if they look good seek out a big trailer shop that specializes in big trucks and trailers.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If you have the MorRyde Independent Suspension, you might give them a call to discuss.

If you have axles, one of them might be bent from a road hazard.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe the MorRyde independent suspension does need alignment. When we were at MorRyde in mid June, someone came in to have his alignment checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Look at the opposite tire on the Same axle. If it shows edge wear but on the opposite side you might have an alignment issue.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you have inside wear on both tires of the same axle, then you could have a flat (bent) axle.

ProwlerRearAxleFlat-IMAG0323.jpg

212Pilot

Update: Upon further inspection I found the Leaf Spring Hanger Bracket weld cracked on the side of the bald tire. The bracket on the other side was completely broken off. Lippert and Heartland are working on a fix.

RightHanger3.JPGLeftHangar1.JPG

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Guess you don't have IS
I guess when he said he had Moreryde suspension I assumed he ment IS.
Not the case

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

Be careful if welding is involved. Someone else on this forum had a broken bracket welded and it weakened the frame.

MCTalley

I'm curious about the 15k miles and 25% tread remaining. According to my spreadsheet, our Sailuns have 28,315 miles on them and probably 75% tread remaining or more than 50% at least (haven't taken the tire depth gauge to them lately).

carl.swoyer

If curbside is wearing on the outside and driver side is wearing on the inside its an alignment issue

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

212Pilot

Some lessons learned: Taking the spare off the rack required a lot of work and multiple tools. 1. The plastic knob would not loosen the retaining bolt, it just spun on the small knurled shaft because of corrosion on the bolt threads. I had to remove the plastic knob (in pieces) and a 13mm open end wrench allowed me to remove the retaining bolt. 2. The spare was mounted with treaded rod and a nut with large washer instead of a lug nut like you would expect. It required a 19mm deep socket and a 19mm box end wrench on the other end of the threaded rod to remove the retaining nut. 3. The spare storage rack is suppose to slide out so you can lower it to remove the spare (leverage). Road grime prevented the rack from sliding our so I could remove the spare. Two people and a few well place kicks to the spare loosened it enough to get the spare down. So now in addition to tire pressure checks I will spend more time cleaning and using some anti seize on the spare tire rack and all threaded surfaces associated with it.

Smitty325

Looks similar to what the alignment folks call..."toe in" or when the axle is not perpendicular with the frame and the tire points slightly inward going down the road. The tire then is in conflict with the road, which wears the tires.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SteamboatSailor

Well, I'll be.....Pilot212, we have a matching pair!! We also have the Sailun tires. We just returned to CO from a trip through Alaska with our 2018 Road Warrior 427, throughout which I was diligent about checking tire pressure, lug nut torque, & greasing the axle bearings via the EZ grease zirks on the Dexter axles (DW rotated the tires while I pulled the trigger on the grease gun). I checked tire pressure & inspected tires on frequent pre--departure checks (300-400 mi. intervals). Most tires appeared to be wearing well (except for tires on mid-axle, which I'll get to in a moment). Going through the pre-departure check one morning I noticed the left (driver's side) rear (tri-axle) tire was worn just like yours, & 500 mi. earlier it looked fine. After talking with Dexter Axle about the problem the recommendation was to get back to the States to have it serviced in that !). it would be very difficult for them to help with servicing a claim while we were in Canada 2). It appeared there was no immediate danger in continuing to drive on with whatever problem was occurring other than continued tire wear. I replaced the tire with a new one (rather than using the spare) in Kamloops, British Columbia, drove the 1400 miles to home, & that new tire shows very little wear.....???? Go figure. We're taking the coach in to a shop in Denver (a Dexter Axle vendor) to have the axle issue diagnosed, but they're not able to get us in until the end of October.

Anyone have suggestions for cause of the second issue we're having...unusual tire wear on the mid-axle? Again, tire pressure diligently maintained at 110 lbs in all tires. Coach is a toyhauler, however only "toys" on this trip were two bikes, fishing gear, adult beverages,tools & extra 30lb propane tank (full).... ~500lbs max. total. Both the left & right tires are wearing excessively on both the inner & outer 1" of tires. I'd say low tire pressure if I hadn't been so diligent about maintaining 110 lbs, & front axle tires & right rear look great. ???

Attachments

• LR unusual wear text.jpg
    LR unusual wear text.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Lmid inside wear.jpg
    Lmid inside wear.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Lmid outside wear.jpg
    Lmid outside wear.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Rmid inside wear.JPG
    Rmid inside wear.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Rmid outside wear.JPG
    Rmid outside wear.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 47

212Pilot

Well, I'll be.....Pilot212, we have a matching pair!! We also have the Sailun tires. We just returned to CO from a trip through Alaska with our 2018 Road Warrior 427, throughout which I was diligent about checking tire pressure, lug nut torque, & greasing the axle bearings via the EZ grease zirks on the Dexter axles (DW rotated the tires while I pulled the trigger on the grease gun). I checked tire pressure & inspected tires on frequent pre--departure checks (300-400 mi. intervals). Most tires appeared to be wearing well (except for tires on mid-axle, which I'll get to in a moment). Going through the pre-departure check one morning I noticed the left (driver's side) rear (tri-axle) tire was worn just like yours, & 500 mi. earlier it looked fine. After talking with Dexter Axle about the problem the recommendation was to get back to the States to have it serviced in that !). it would be very difficult for them to help with servicing a claim while we were in Canada 2). It appeared there was no immediate danger in continuing to drive on with whatever problem was occurring other than continued tire wear. I replaced the tire with a new one (rather than using the spare) in Kamloops, British Columbia, drove the 1400 miles to home, & that new tire shows very little wear.....???? Go figure. We're taking the coach in to a shop in Denver (a Dexter Axle vendor) to have the axle issue diagnosed, but they're not able to get us in until the end of October.

Anyone have suggestions for cause of the second issue we're having...unusual tire wear on the mid-axle? Again, tire pressure diligently maintained at 110 lbs in all tires. Coach is a toyhauler, however only "toys" on this trip were two bikes, fishing gear, adult beverages,tools & extra 30lb propane tank (full).... ~500lbs max. total. Both the left & right tires are wearing excessively on both the inner & outer 1" of tires. I'd say low tire pressure if I hadn't been so diligent about maintaining 110 lbs, & front axle tires & right rear look great. ???

The roads up north are rough on your suspension. Lippert has been great with warranty work. They sent me two new spring hanger brackets which I welded on. They replaced the shackle straps on the rear axle. They replace the MorRyde CRE3000 rear equalizer. They paid 65% of the cost for three new tires and paid for an Alignment. The shop I used in Ogden, Utah (T&J Trailer) was great. They made sure the Axles were correct and got the alignment within 1/16". I hope your problems get solved. With all these problems I installed Joy Rider shocks and MorRyde Heavy Duty Shackles with the wet bolt kit. When I get back to my welder I will also install cross braces on each of the spring hangers.