Fresh water storage

Seren

Put about 25 gal of fresh water when we took delivery two months ago, but have not used any after the PDI. How long do you normally keep unused water before changing it, or do you just like keep it forever? It I do empty the tank how do you do it? Have a 2014 Landmark GC. Sorry for another newbie question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Seren,

There's a hose with drain valve sticking out of the coroplast under the trailer. It's usually on the off-door-side just in front of the axles. If the RV is not being used, I'd drain it and refill it as prep for your next trip. If using it regularly, you might want to drain/refill after 3-4 months. Clean it annually. Our owner-written Water Systems Guide may be of help. Page 22 covers the cleaning solution.

dbbls59

How long I keep the water depends on the source. Treated city water I have kept two months but untreated well water I will drain before storage. My unit rarely sits longer than 4 weeks so I hardly ever drain my tank.

MTPockets

I don't recall reading about new tanks, but I would treat the water in a new tank with Clorox and drain even if not being used.

Lynn1130

Considering you're location says Florida, I would not let it sit more than a few days. Water here (Arizona) can grow mold and algae in very short order and I never leave water sitting in the tank between trips. I pull water from the house (soft) before a camping trip and treat that with a small amount of chlorine since I filter the city water coming into the house.

Garypowell

I normally keep the 1/4 full light on all the time. Fill it when I buy the unit and refill to 1/4 when the light goes out. We only use it for flushing when stopped at rest area. Never had any problems, smell, or anything. Especially with the 2013 and the way the fill system works....it is fairly isolated. But I realize our uses are very specific. If boon docking it would be a different story.

Seren

There's a hose with drain valve sticking out of the coroplast under the trailer. I

Ahhh, so that is what that tube is for. I am sure they probably mentioned it during the PDI along with the other 274,219 items that they went over. I thinks I remembered 47 so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SeattleLion

Seren,

There's a hose with drain valve sticking out of the coroplast under the trailer. It's usually on the off-door-side just in front of the axles. If the RV is not being used, I'd drain it and refill it as prep for your next trip. If using it regularly, you might want to drain/refill after 3-4 months. Clean it annually. Our owner-written Water Systems Guide may be of help. Page 22 covers the cleaning solution.

Dan,
We have the pressurized water fill (from city water) in our Bighorn. We are looking for a way to get the chlorine into our fresh tank for cleaning? We were considering a Miracle Grow plant feeder if we can find one with a hose thread on both in and out. We figured we can add bleach to the feeder jar. We have no idea if that would distribute the right proportion. Is there a better way?

danemayer

Dan,
We have the pressurized water fill (from city water) in our Bighorn. We are looking for a way to get the chlorine into our fresh tank for cleaning? We were considering a Miracle Grow plant feeder if we can find one with a hose thread on both in and out. We figured we can add bleach to the feeder jar. We have no idea if that would distribute the right proportion. Is there a better way?

There are no doubt other methods, but I think many people have settled on 1) emptying their water hose, 2) adding their mixture to the water hose and 3) connecting it to the faucet. The water pressure will push the mix into the fresh tank.

SeattleLion

There are no doubt other methods, but I think many people have settled on 1) emptying their water hose, 2) adding their mixture to the water hose and 3) connecting it to the faucet. The water pressure will push the mix into the fresh tank.

Cool. Sounds reasonably easy. Is the exact proportion of chlorox to water important? Do we have to fill the fresh water tank with the bleach mixture?

thanks,
Bob

danemayer

Cool. Sounds reasonably easy. Is the exact proportion of chlorox to water important? Do we have to fill the fresh water tank with the bleach mixture?

thanks,
Bob

From the Water Systems Guide:

Heartland recommends a solution of 1 gallon of water and ¼ cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. A 90 gallon tank would take a mix of 6 gallons of water and 1 ½ cups of bleach.

1. Add the recommended solution to the fresh tank and complete filling the tank with fresh water.
2. With pump on, open all faucets to release trapped air. Close the faucets and allow the pump to pressurize the system.
3. Let stand for 3 hours.
4. Drain and flush with fresh water.
5. A solution of 5 gallons of water with 1 quart vinegar may be used to eliminate excessive chlorine taste. Allow the solution to agitate in the fresh tank by vehicle motion. Do this over a period of several days if possible.
6. Drain the tank again and refill with fresh water.