Ride Quality- Airbags

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just asking a few questions about ride quality improvement. 2007 RAM with 2015 Elkridge. I think both trailer and TV are sitting level. All stock suspension.
oiyp1e.jpg

Ride seems very smooth, some chucking, not bad. But there is some harsh jolts as we want through some road construction. Also the same on some potholes and road imperfections. Would Airbags improve ride quality or are they just for leveling? What would be the recommendations. All in all, I was quite pleased with everything in stock configuration. But there is always to for improvement. Thanks

jnbhobe

Looks like you need them from the picture Jamie and they will help with the ride. You may have to adjust the hitch or pin box.

JWalker

Looks like you need them from the picture Jamie and they will help with the ride. You may have to adjust the hitch or pin box.

I put a tape to the ground and the truck rear sits about 5/8" from level compared to the front. What brand do you recommend?

jnbhobe

Either Firestone or Airlift one is making them with a joust in the bag. I have Firestone at the moment.

Cjackg

The airbags will help to level the truck if that is an issue but probably won't make much difference in the ride. Does your truck have stock oem shocks on it?

I am about to upgrade the shocks on my (new) truck to Bilsteins because I have experienced major ride improvement with several RVs over the years doing this.
Moderate expense item with very good results!

porthole

Retired
Jamie, when I put air bags in my GMC Airlift was a better option. Don't know if it still is true, but when I bought mine the Airlift bag was a larger diameter then the firestone bag. This results in less air for a given lift. Personally, I think it helps smoothen the ride loaded and unloaded. Since you have to maintain a minimum air pressure in the bags, 3-5 psi, you are essentially riding on a bit of "air".

I have had terrible customer service with firestone (current air bags).
I have had excellent customer service with Airlift.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
On our 09 Dodge Ram 3500 srw, we added the Firestone air ride bags with the inside air compressor which made a huge difference on the truck ride. We ran about 40 lbs of pressure on the bags and as you travel down the road, the gauge was bouncing but you couldn't feel it in the truck.

Fonz46

We also have Airlift and can't say anything but good about them. I recently added the on-board compressor with wireless controller and works very well. The quality of the ride is noticeably improved with the bags. We run 35 to 40 PSI when towing, about 5 when not.

Hbushey

The airbags will help to level the truck if that is an issue but probably won't make much difference in the ride. Does your truck have stock oem shocks on it?

I am about to upgrade the shocks on my (new) truck to Bilsteins because I have experienced major ride improvement with several RVs over the years doing this.
Moderate expense item with very good results!

Husband just installed new Bilstein 5100 shocks on our GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Made quite a difference in ride quality. You still feel the bump, but it doesn't make the truck rock and sway for seconds afterward.

JWalker

AirLift 5000 on order. Hopefully here in time for me to install before the Cape Cod outing.

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated.

My allowance is spent for the year. Lol

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Only need a couple of hours to install. Dropped the spare and did install in my garage. Just added the air suspension to the SD after returning from our trip. Haven't towed BH yet but the farmer neighbors who tow gooseneck stock/flatbed trailers claim much improved towing. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I installed the Airlift 5000 on my F350 and am completely satisfied with the results. Our new 3260 sat the truck just a little below level and I wasn't happy with the way it handled. I am on my first time out towing the BH and it made all the difference in handling. I run 35 psi when towing and 10 psi unloaded. It rides smoother with the air coils. It took me much longer to install than 2 hrs while on my back on the ground. If I were to do over, I would remove the spare and rear tires.

pegmikef

My Airlift system works great when I am towing (at 35 to 40 psi), but I don't really notice much of a difference when not towing regardless of what I set it at so I just use ten psi.

JWalker

Just a note. I spoke with a tech from Airlift this morning. They have changed the bracket positioning on some of their Load Lifter 5000 systems. Some systems had outside frame bracket positioning. This created close clearance issues with some models with dual rear wheels. There were also some issues with interference with some of the outside frame fifth wheel hitch brackets. Some of the models now have changed to under the frame or inside frame applications.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
" If I were to do over, I would remove the spare and rear tires. "

Removing the rear tires on my '12 F350 wouldn't have have helped as the kit I installed was mounted inside the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrRvGypsy

Installed the Firestone Ride-rite's on my 2010 F350 DRW. The truck ride was rough and the rear would wallow over imperfections and train tracks when we first took delivery of the 2014 HL Savannah before we installed the airbags.
Installing the airbag and adding 40lbs of air transformed the ride in the truck and seemed to minimize shocks transferred to the trailer now that the rear of the truck was up off the overload springs and was now supported by the airbags.
We had to lower the hitch 2 bolt holes to keep the trailer level to within 1/2 inch with the bags at 40lbs reducing the bed rail clearance from 9 inches down to 7 inches.

oldmannj

Jamie, I did my air bags with the wheels off as I was installing the hitch at the same time. I noticed a definate improvement in ride quality when not towing. The airlift bags are great in my opinion. According to the instructions 1 pound of air is equal to 40 pounds of lift. They say you're looking for "normal" or unladen ride height. That means you should have the same measurement wheel well to ground when hooked up as when not hooked up. In my case that's 50 PSI , yours will most likely vary. Good luck getting them in. It took a friend and me about 2 hours to install including a boo boo we made not realizing the fittings would swivel. We thought we had to remove the bag to install the fitting, after we had it out we discovered the fittings turn in side themselves!! The Elkridge looks good behind the Ram BTW!!! ED.:angel:

JWalker

Sounds like airbags are an all around great accessory.

Ed, that's great info. 40lbs of lift for every 1psi in the bag. Gives me a starting point. 20-25 psi.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Jamie,
New Coach looks great good luck and enjoy. I have Airlift system with onboard compressor very satisfied with system. Run 5lbs when not towing and 45lbs when towing coach. Play with settings to see what you like best. After this winter I don't think there is anything out there to smoth out the bumps.