Ride Quality- Airbags

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If airbags don't help the chucking, you might consider a 5th Airborne pin box. We put one on about 2 mo. Into ownership and hade not had chucking since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
If airbags don't help the chucking, you might consider a 5th Airborne pin box. We put one on about 2 mo. Into ownership and hade not had chucking since.

I think we are going to wait until next year at Goshen and see what show specials there are. Unless Santa Claus decides to bring me something earlier.

Jim.Allison

I have almost the exact rig you do, I run a "trailer Saver" hitch, and "Airlift 5000 (with internal jounce)" and my rig rides like a Cadilac. NO bouncing, chucking, swaying and my front wheels are firmly on the ground and no squat. The Airlift system bolted right up to my 2013 Ram truck. It was a 30 minute install and I have never ever installed a set before that.

If your rig was parked at a gas station I might accidently think it was mine and drive off with it. Do the "Airlift 5000 with internal jounce pads." When inflated properly it improves your ride, loaded and unloaded.

Just asking a few questions about ride quality improvement. 2007 RAM with 2015 Elkridge. I think both trailer and TV are sitting level. All stock suspension.
oiyp1e.jpg

Ride seems very smooth, some chucking, not bad. But there is some harsh jolts as we want through some road construction. Also the same on some potholes and road imperfections. Would Airbags improve ride quality or are they just for leveling? What would be the recommendations. All in all, I was quite pleased with everything in stock configuration. But there is always to for improvement. Thanks

Last edited:

JWalker

I guess Rob over at Great Lakes will be happy to hear that :eek:

NO!!!!! Not those specials.

Actually, we looked at Great Lakes before we made our final decision. They did not have this model (with options) in stock. If we would have ordered, we would have received the new, lighter wood. We do not like the lighter wood. So, that helped make the decision.

JWalker

Glad I was not the only one who thought the same thing when Jamie typed that. Lol

HaHa

I have almost the exact rig you do, I run a "trailer Saver" hitch, and "Airlift 5000 (with internal jounce)" and my rig rides like a Cadilac. NO bouncing, chucking, swaying and my front wheels are firmly on the ground and no squat. The Airlift system bolted right up to my 2013 Ram truck. It was a 30 minute install and I have never ever installed a set before that.

If your rig was parked at a gas station I might accidently think it was mine and drive off with it. Do the "Airlift 5000 with internal jounce pads." When inflated properly it improves your ride, loaded and unloaded.

Awesome! Great to hear how well it works. Can't wait.

JWalker

Received.
2wmqec5.jpg

Installed.
21nh6y0.jpg

10qb1g5.jpg

Tomorrow's the test run. Unfortunately it will be an empty run. Big test will be a short 500 mile run to Cape Cod on Friday.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Jamie , how was the ride to MA and back with the new airbags? We're heading out next week for the first time since I installed mine.

JWalker

Going to let my wallet cool off for awhile then it might look at the Trail Air pin box. Just a little bit of up and down motion I want to deal with.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Very nice!!!! I have the Moryde pin box and feel the ride was acceptable on most roads. Installed the airbags to reduce the load on the helper springs and minimize the "bottoming out" feeling when hitting something like bridge approaches.