PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for Golf Cart

ergray3
09-04-2015, 02:35 PM
I've seen several trailers with 2 swivel wheels hooked to 5th Wheel Campers. It appears that the trailer is hitched to the frame and is an extension of the camper. Many time the trailer is hauling a golf cart. If anyone has any knowledge on this, please respond. Not sure if it is safe? Will it harm the frame/camper?

Nabo
09-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Yes - we had our dealer install a commercial hitch onto our Big Country so we could pull a little trailer with a golf cart on it. We did that for about 4 years but started finding that more and more campgrounds didn't want ya to bring your own golf cart so we sold it.

I see that you are in TN. We would love to invite ya'll to the TN Rally in October 16-18 at the Nashville KOA if your schedule allows it. It's alot of fun and a great way to meet other Heartland Owners. We would love to meet ya and your Landmark.

Miltp920
09-04-2015, 09:51 PM
google idaho tote

I've seen several trailers with 2 swivel wheels hooked to 5th Wheel Campers. It appears that the trailer is hitched to the frame and is an extension of the camper. Many time the trailer is hauling a golf cart. If anyone has any knowledge on this, please respond. Not sure if it is safe? Will it harm the frame/camper?

macjj
09-04-2015, 09:54 PM
I looked into the same thing myself. I have another issue, California. California DMV rules will Not allow a "Passenger vehicle" to tow more than one trailer. The "hinged" configuration is defiantly out. Outside of CA, you are probably OK. I looked int the "caster" models, one caster was a no brainier, too unpredictable. The two caster option was better, but small tires have a recommended speed limit, which I did not feel comfortable in sustaining. I went for the Idaho Tote, although more expensive, the engineering was superior. I want to the CA DMV and CHP before moving ahead and was told it would be OK if under 65ft. However CA rules changed again in 2015.

I just finished a 13k trip across 13 states with a cart on the back. Only one park said NO - unless I had a "registered" vehicle. It was a North Dakota State Park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette
09-05-2015, 08:29 AM
I installed the Swivel Wheel trailer with 2 wheels to haul my bike. I am very happy with it. I did find some "D" rated tires at eTrailer.com and replaced the "C" rated tires that came with the trailer. I usually run 60-65 MPH when towing and feel comfortable doing so. There are a lot of smaller trailers, boat trailers, and smaller campers running with the same type tires. I do have the TST TPMS on all my wheels and planning to install a camera to watch my bike as we go down the road. No trouble from LEO's yet.

Nabo
09-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Robbie - since you are TN, check with RVs For Less (http://rvsforless.net) (Knoxville, TN) about a double point hitch. They were thinking about becoming a dealer for Idaho Tote but since we don't drag a cart with us anymore, I'm not sure if they decided too or not.

ergray3
09-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Nathan,
Going to have both knees replaced, will be out of commission then. Maybe next year.
Thanks, Robbie

Nabo
09-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Oh wow Robbie- a double replacement. Best of luck, follow the doctors orders and we will have ya in our thoughts and Prayers.

farside291
09-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Check the maximum weight rating for the swivel wheel trailers. You may find that they won't haul an electric golf cart. Electric carts are very heavy, much more that a gas powered one. I thought about the same thing until I found out the weight rating on those trailers. Thought about a tag trailer, then thought about how long I would be. Think I am going to get a couple of small electric scooters.

Lou_and_Bette
09-08-2015, 03:59 PM
My dual wheel swivel trailer deck is rated for 1200 pounds. The new D rated tires are rated for 1080 pounds and when I had all wheels weighed at Goshen, the trailer wheels had 450 pounds each with the Ultra on it.