Truck to tow Cyclone 4012

I have a 07 -3795 and pull it just fine with my 2004HD 2500 GMC with a duramax diesel but if I had a bigger unit I would make shure you have a dully or you will be in trubble in more then one way,
For shure I would have a diesel truck

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
With the GVWR on my Cyclone at 18k, my TV is about 2k under-rated! :( ASAP, I will be getting a new TV...at least a 5500 Chevy Duramax.

-Can I pull my Cyclone w/my 1-ton dually? Absolutely. And with trailer brakes properly adjusted, so far no problems stopping.
-Am I constantly alert while towing? Without a doubt.
-Is it right and am I safe? Not in my wildest dream.

I would suggest you get a TV rated MORE than the 4012 GVWR. JMHO!

yrusohi

I am towing my 4012 with an 08 F-450. It is plussed up and more than rated to tow the 4012. I have plenty of power, control and stopping. Downside is the 4:88 gears-----10.6 mpg not towing! However, even towing the 4012 with bike loaded (95 Heritage Softail) I get 8 mpg's

crazybanshee

You will need at least a F450. Tried my F350 once just to move it out of storage. Wouldn't want to take it down the highway.
Doug

mr8118

Tow Vehicle

I pull an 08 3912 with a 2008 Ford F350 SRW Long Box Crew Cab (24k Gross Weight Rating). I have added a 60 gallon transferflow fuel tank and Firestone AirSprings. It pulls and stops as it should (meaning safely). We chose the F350 SRW because I am at the weight rating for the 350 with the 3912 and can still use the 350 as a daily driver. The F450 would be more difficult and costly to use as a daily driver.

I pull a trailer for work as well, and the 350 has shown itself to be a solid tow vehicle. In the last six months we have pulled over 15,000 miles with no problems.

That being said, if you are not going to use the truck as a daily driver, and have a large budget, buy as much truck as you can drive. I would not want to drive a Freightliner around town after dropping the 3912, but it sure would be a perfect vehicle for towing (and I have seen quite a few of these at various events). The F450 would also be a good vehicle, with the TowBoss Package you have 33k of Gross vehicle weight.

There are lots of posts on RV.NET as well about this issue.

A properly equiped F350 can legally tow the 4012. There is no F250 or 2500 of any kind anywhere that can safely and legally tow the 4012 in any state. The 4012 starts with a GVWR of 18K. My 2009 4012 dry, is in the 14K range. If I see a three axle trailer being towed by a F250/2500, I stay as far way as I can. The CHP/State Police do not care about what you or I say...they simply look at the stickers on your rigs, and then write tickets acordingly.

Even with the SRW F350 it's pushing and even passing the limit...especially when it comes to stopping. The extra rear wheel makes a difference...more surface area making contact with the road.

Though the F450 is the best choice, the 2008 F450 only has 300HP600Ft/lbs Torque, while the 2008 F350 has 350 and 650 respectively. The F350 DRW is avilable with GVWRs of up to 13K.

The real question you want to be asking yourself is not if you "could" tow with a truck less than and F350/450...you want to ask yourself if you "should."

Good Luck and Rock On...

We pull our 4012 with a 2002 F350 dually and an 1100 Yamaha in the back with a chest freezer full. When we towed to the latest RV park at Lake Medina, Tx a couple months ago, there is about 3 miles of sharp turns and high hills and it did great. We still want a F450 before we head out to the mountains though just to be safer.

We just got back from a three week 4800 mile trip with our configuration. All went well. Two things we had that made it successful. Firestone Airbags and an RDS auxiliary fuel tank. We averaged a little over 9 miles/gallon. Fuel prices ranged from 4.39 - 4.78 per gallon.

Our trip points: Dallas TX, Amarillo TX, Gallup NM, Moab UT, Burley ID, Baker City OR, Eltopia WA, Whidby Island WA, Coeur D'Alene ID, Yellowstone, MT. Rushmore/Crazy Hoard SD, Dallas TX.

It was an awesome trip that my two kids hopefully will never forget.

tbsimmons

I pull an 08 3912 with a 2008 Ford F350 SRW Long Box Crew Cab (24k Gross Weight Rating). I have added a 60 gallon transferflow fuel tank and Firestone AirSprings. It pulls and stops as it should (meaning safely). We chose the F350 SRW because I am at the weight rating for the 350 with the 3912 and can still use the 350 as a daily driver. The F450 would be more difficult and costly to use as a daily driver.

I pull a trailer for work as well, and the 350 has shown itself to be a solid tow vehicle. In the last six months we have pulled over 15,000 miles with no problems.

That being said, if you are not going to use the truck as a daily driver, and have a large budget, buy as much truck as you can drive. I would not want to drive a Freightliner around town after dropping the 3912, but it sure would be a perfect vehicle for towing (and I have seen quite a few of these at various events). The F450 would also be a good vehicle, with the TowBoss Package you have 33k of Gross vehicle weight.

You have what I had, a F350 SRW. I had an 04 though. I have a 08 450 for a reason, SRW truck cant handle the weight, trust it from someone who had one. I had air bags, 4.56's, intercooler, exhaust, intake, programmer. The power wise was fine, but the weight was not. I could feel the truck being pushed, the tail wagging the dog. I would jsut be really careful going into and out of corners. It scared the crap out of me. To top it off the truck did not really squat with the trailer on it with only about 75 lbs in the bags.

mr8118

F350 Srw

The 2008 F350 is alot different than the 2004, different engine, different suspension components, different wheels, different weight ratings etc.

I have pulled through Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and South Dakota. The grades have been steep.

I have towed with various vehicles and honestly if you ever feel that you have nothing to worry about while towing you are overconfident. You will always take more distance to stop, handle differently, react to wind and grades differently and should always be more alert.

I have friends that tow with dually trucks for hauling cattle, liquids, and other mobile rolling stock. The additional width of the rear stance can give you more rocking resistance when you are pulling a trailer. The additional wheel also gives you a higher payload. That said, dually's don't allow you to stop faster (you still only have one set of brakes, not one and a half) and the physics of the weight distribution for a fifth wheel don't improve the stability as much as you might think.

The F450 is not an F350 with duallys. It is a different frame. You have a great truck! But I can tell you that the 2008 F350 SRW is also a great tow vehicle and has proven itself many times over.

Forrest Fetherolf

mr8118,

Great statement of facts, I agree, many dually owners are living with false hope when they think the truck is more stable and will stop quicker. If any, increased stability is caused by less side flexing (roll) of dual tires vs single tires. Big truckers express much concern when running empty with all those tires on the ground, especially on substandard road surfaces.

Forrest

tbsimmons

The 2008 F350 is alot different than the 2004, different engine, different suspension components, different wheels, different weight ratings etc.

I have pulled through Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and South Dakota. The grades have been steep.

I have towed with various vehicles and honestly if you ever feel that you have nothing to worry about while towing you are overconfident. You will always take more distance to stop, handle differently, react to wind and grades differently and should always be more alert.

I have friends that tow with dually trucks for hauling cattle, liquids, and other mobile rolling stock. The additional width of the rear stance can give you more rocking resistance when you are pulling a trailer. The additional wheel also gives you a higher payload. That said, dually's don't allow you to stop faster (you still only have one set of brakes, not one and a half) and the physics of the weight distribution for a fifth wheel don't improve the stability as much as you might think.

The F450 is not an F350 with duallys. It is a different frame. You have a great truck! But I can tell you that the 2008 F350 SRW is also a great tow vehicle and has proven itself many times over.

I am not saying that it cant be done. I am also not saying that I am overconfident when towing, I am not even close. Ford has both 350 SRW and DRW. I can say this, my F450 can stop this trailer pretty easy in town with no trailer brakes, sorry I had to try. The F350 could not. I loved my 350 though, I miss that truck. The F450 front brakes are huge, much bigger than my dads 06 F350 DRW. The calipers are almost touching the 19.5" rim.
But with as much pin weight that these trailers have, a SRW truck is not enough in my opinion. Everything I did to my truck, the trailer was still pushing me. I think the 350 I had, was better set up for towing than the 450. It squats the 450 more than the 350. I had springs made for that truck and added air bags, 4.56's, and more cooling mods. So the load capacity of a new SRW might be higher legally, but I would take the modded 04 SRW over a stock 08 SRW. Pin weight is the problem with the Cyclones, which is why I dont think a SRW should be towing them, even though almost everyone in CA that goes to the beach does it.
I am not talking about the rocking back and forth while driving, that is what a side to side hitch takes up. I am saying going into and out of corners. It felt like it pushed the truck some. I have not pulled outside of CA, but there are some pretty good climbs in the mountains with some sharp corners after going down hill. This is where a dually will shine.

mr8118

F350

I have had good drives with it. The Cyclone is a heavy trailer, especially with some toys in the back. I added Firestone AirSprings, AFE Intake, Edge Programmer, 60 gallon transferflow tank (a must, the new 6.4 uses fuel like WOW).

I think that the 2008 models have improved braking. When you compare the 2008 Ford to the Chevy and Dodge, the stopping distance is almost half. In any case, I can also upgrade the brakes if needed (I haven't felt the need to yet).

We just got back from Grand Lake of the Cherokee, and the winding roads down there are something to behold. I just go slow, more because of my fear of meeting someone on the curve than handling of the trailer.

I am thinking of raising the Cyclone a few inches and adding shocks to improve the overall handling of the combination.

This week we are going to Oshkosh for the EAA. Airshows for 2 hours everyday, and boondocking with 20,000 flyers!