Towing Issues (chucking etc.)

davebennington

We just got back from the first real trip and I have a question about the towing of a Golden Gate. When running along an Interstate at 60-65 mph we get a jerking back and forth that make reading almost impossibe. Has anyone else had this happen? We just had it weighed and it weighs in at 22400, truck and 5th wheeler. We have the trailair hitch pumped up the the recommeded arrows.

Dave

jbeletti

Dave,

Our rig weight about the same as yours. We also have the Trailair pin box.

On decent asphalt roads, we get a smooth ride. On concrete roads with long sections, it's pretty good. But, on concrete with short sections, it is usually really bad. Near Hayward, WI, we were on an old asphalt road that had cracks every 8 feet or so and to date, it was the worst road for chucking that we have ever been on.

Jim

Cooper

Trailer jerking

My Gloden Gate jerks and pops on a rough road. On a good road its fine.
I have the Trailair pin box but I do get slack feeling in my fifthwheel hitch its a Reese slider. Is there an adjustment to tighten up the hitch jaws ( new Hitch).

davebennington

As I said before our Golden Gate jerks and chucks pretty bad on the concrete roads, it is so bad that my wife cannot read (her favorite past time). Last weekend I tried different things.
1. filled the fresh water tank.
2. shifted some weight around.
3. changed tire pressure.
It did change some but not enough to make for a pleasant all round ride. On the asphalt road it rode pretty smooth execpt for any cracks or rough spots in the road. Still trying other things when we go out again. As for the hitch it appears to be good and tight, it is a 18K Reese signature hitch.

Dave:(

J-W&E

We have pulled with a short box SRW and a long box DRW. With the short box we experienced much more jerking than a long box. Are you pulling with a short box truck?

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I just slow down on rough roads alittle and this helps alot. I too have Trail Air pin point on my BigHorn and also had it on my last 5th wheel coach also and have found that Trail Air will not react fast enough going too fast over rough roads. I too like to get to my camp grounds as fast as I can so I can enjoy the week end experince. I think this may help your probelm alot. Evans & Lana