This is not what you want to hear about

wingfoot

I just heard from a friend about a horror story on his 2006 Heartland Bighorn..He had taken his unit back to Heartland for frame problems in the front cap area. Apparently he had the inherent Lippert Flex problem. Heartland took care of him and he was totally satisfied with their repair...NOW, here is the HORROR story. On his way home his trailer wheel came off in the middle of nowhere. He was able to cripple home from Jackson, MS to Lafayette, LA. on three wheels..

This may be paranoia on my part but today I have set up an appointment with a Trailer/Axle repair shop to replace my Lippert axles and springs..I'm going to 7000# axles with heaver springs (Dexter)...I do this based on post I have seen here where other owners have experienced a wheel coming off and the inadequate OE springs (flatting out)..I previously had fifth-wheels and have never heard of the Frame, spring problems on any of them..Of course I've always had Dexter products in the past...

This is sad..It does not instill the greatest amount of confidence in our Heartland products..just saying.

Last edited:

ihsolutions

I've had my share of problems with Lippert, both axles/springs, and frame as well. In every instance, Heartland and Lippert took good care of me. That doesn't mean I'm thrilled about it happening in the first place, but at least they made it right.

What is alarming, however, is that your friend chose to drive over 200 miles on just three wheels. I can't imagine any sane person trying this. It was not only dangerous for him, but everyone else on the road, too. Being stranded is inconvenient, but so is being dead.

wingfoot

What is alarming, however, is that your friend chose to drive over 200 miles on just three wheels. I can't imagine any sane person trying this. It was not only dangerous for him, but everyone else on the road, too. Being stranded is inconvenient, but so is being dead.

I agree...BUT the more alarming to me is it happened in the first place...I think his sanity is OK...maybe just his decision at the time was lacking.

Last edited:

Speedy

Were there any details as to why the wheel came off; bearing failure, axle failure, spring failure? To say that it does not instill confidence in Heartland products is a little strong; my Ford Windstar had a failed axle, it was recalled, repaired and I drive it. Recall repair took seven months in which Ford had inpounded it for safety reasons. Does that instill confidence in Ford with me? Jury is still out on that.

All I'm saying is that without all the details a wheel falling off shouldn't taint your views on Lippert or Heartland.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For what it's worth, here's my take on the quality issues on most towable RV's being built today. I think it's all about the economy and profit. manufacturers are building these rigs for the least possible investment but still trying to keep things within DOT safety specs. I'd say for at least the last 8 to 10 years. I will say though that all of my previous trailers were nowhere near the weight of our Bighorn. Probably 1/2 the weight.
I'm not trying to defend Heartland, merely thinking this is what the industry as a whole is doing today. Keep the cost down. It doesn't make it what we want to hear but that's my line of thinking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Devil is in the details. Were the bearings lubed on a regular basis per mileage or age? And who did it? Were the wheel lugs maintained at proper torque and checked routinely after a long haul? From the account, we don't know if the bearings or the wheel lugs failed.

BC1of38

JohnDar, what is the recommended interval for bearing repack/replace? I agree that in general preventative maintenance is the single best thing we can do as RV owners.

Not saying the OP's friend did or didn't due his due diligence, but it got me thinking....

JohnDar

JohnDar, what is the recommended interval for bearing repack/replace? I agree that in general preventative maintenance is the single best thing we can do as RV owners.

Not saying the OP's friend did or didn't due his due diligence, but it got me thinking....

The Lippert recommendation is to inspect every 12 months or 12000 miles. I get mine repacked annually, even though I don't haul very far. Already experienced what happens with old, dried up grease in a boat trailer. Fortunately, it also had four wheels and I was only a couple of miles from where it needed to be.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta agree with John, we have not heard of the maintenance schedule.

Peace
Dave

wingfoot

Devil is in the details. Were the bearings lubed on a regular basis per mileage or age? And who did it? Were the wheel lugs maintained at proper torque and checked routinely after a long haul? From the account, we don't know if the bearings or the wheel lugs failed.
John,

This happened to a good friend of mine..He owns a RV service center in Lafayette, LA. He is a real stickler on maintenance. He is so well respected in the industry that he is on the advisory board for Gayle Banks, NavaStarr for their Motor home chassies. Also, he is one of the Onan approved service centers. So, all this being said, I feel he is/would be on top of things. I think he told me the spindle nut backed off..not sure though..
I go to him often for advice and recommendations and I didn't want to state this, but he warned me (watch it close) about frame flex and the Lippert suspension problems. As I stated in my post he had traveled to Heartland for his 2'' frame flex..and on a positive note, they repaired it a no cost.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Larry,
If the spindle nut backed off, does that mean the cotter pin that holds it broke or was not installed? Not trying to impune your friend, just interested in cause and effect.

wingfoot

Larry,
If the spindle nut backed off, does that mean the cotter pin that holds it broke or was not installed? Not trying to impune your friend, just interested in cause and effect.

He didn't say and I don't know...but you gotta understand the guy adds a whole new definition to "anal retentive"....There have been other issues with this happening we might could check those post to see if it was the cotter pin or not...

I have not looked at my bearings, are they held by a castle nut and cotter key or just a "tab"...?

I have not spoken with him since he told me about this..I will try to find out exactly what happened if possible.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not looked at my bearings, are they held by a castle nut and cotter key or just a "tab"...?

Ok, I just gottta ask. Your rig is 4 years old, has anyone looked at your bearings? If not you may be the next one limping on three wheels.
On my 2008 BH, the castle nut was held on with a tab. On my 2011 it is held on with a cotter pin.

Peace
Dave

wingfoot

Ok, I just gottta ask. Your rig is 4 years old, has anyone looked at your bearings? If not you may be the next one limping on three wheels.
On my 2008 BH, the castle nut was held on with a tab. On my 2011 it is held on with a cotter pin.

Peace
Dave

Sure hope not..I just bought the rig about eight months ago..Immediately, I took the rig to the service shop that does all my work and had them check brakes, bearings and suspension components. And I hate to say, they too told me to keep a close eye on my suspension for failure.
But to totally answer your question..I always pack my bearings in the past every 12 months. Just didn't this time because the dealer paid for the service. Part of the deal.

jnbhobe

I'm with John and Dave, this is an 06 unit who knows whats happened and how its been serviced in the past. Sometimes there are just breakdowns from ware and tare, remember this unit has been around for 6 or 7 years.

wingfoot

I'm with John and Dave, this is an 06 unit who knows whats happened and how its been serviced in the past. Sometimes there are just breakdowns from ware and tare, remember this unit has been around for 6 or 7 years.

While I agree with you to an extent..if you read my other post, this guy owns a RV service center with an impeccable reputation..I KNOW he takes care of his "stuff" Also, I don't know what kind of service you can do to prevent frame damage..that's the other half of his problem.
Again, just saying..

PeternLiane

Sure hope not..I just bought the rig about eight months ago..Immediately, I took the rig to the service shop that does all my work and had them check brakes, bearings and suspension components. And I hate to say, they too told me to keep a close eye on my suspension for failure.
But to totally answer your question..I always pack my bearings in the past every 12 months. Just didn't this time because the dealer paid for the service. Part of the deal.

The dealer who sold us our SOB TT said that the bearings and other recall warranty work was done. We found out that the tech who was incharge of the job didn't do the job. He was mad at the dealer for not getting his raise. We had the fridge that would catch on fire. We checked just because my brother and I were curious about the part and wanted to see it. We pulled it apart. The recalled part was not replaced. The bearings were supposed to be lubed, we checked the bearings. We found old drying grease. That's when I went back to the dealer to find out why these items weren't completed like they said. That's when I found out about the tech. The tech stormed off the job a couple days before I brought it back. They completed each item. They also proved it to me and took pictures. They also gave me a free merchandise card. So I learned from that not to trust their word and to inspect what they do. That was my first TT. Our NT is my second. I still have more to learn.

wingfoot

For the guys that wanted to know...Here is an update on my friends BH..as near as he can tell the Tab failed...bearings and race are all OK...So, he did not have cotter keys...just the tab to hold the nut...

BTW, he also told me that he had put disc brakes on his 5r and the caliper actually held the tire wheel assembly until he could stop...

Last edited:

caissiel

In my experience with bearing tab style lockers I never reuse the lock. Theses are hard to come by at spare parts stores so I carrry 4 spares in my tool box. My hubs were cleaned and greased by me 2.5 years ago and will be redone when I need to service my brake shoes. I also will do the greasing using the easy lube proper method.

nscaler2

I just heard from a friend about a horror story on his 2006 Heartland Bighorn..He had taken his unit back to Heartland for frame problems in the front cap area. Apparently he had the inherent Lippert Flex problem. Heartland took care of him and he was totally satisfied with their repair...NOW, here is the HORROR story. On his was home his trailer wheel came off in the middle of nowhere. He was able to cripple home from Jackson, MS to Lafayette, LA. on three wheels..

This may be paranoia on my part but today I have set up an appointment with a Trailer/Axle repair shop to replace my Lippert axles and springs..I'm going to 7000# axles with heaver springs (Dexter)...I do this based on post I have seen here where other owners have experienced a wheel coming off and the inadequate OE springs (flatting out)..I previously had fifth-wheels and have never heard of the Frame, spring problems on any of them..Of course I've always had Dexter products in the past...

This is sad..It does not instill the greatest amount of confidence in our Heartland products..just saying.
Sorry for getting a little off track here, but I would like to know how you friend convinced Heartland to do a frame repair on their 2006 Bighorn. We have a 2006 Bighorn also. We are having similar problems ( about an inch of movement in the pin box area and some separation of the front bulkhead surface [where the front bay door is] from the door side of the trailer). Have an appointment at a dealer, but I am sure they will charge me big time to get it fixed.