Changing Flat Tires with Levelup?

fcwatson

Just picked up my new 3875FB. I have full six way auto levelers, but I read in the manual not to lift the coach off the ground to change tires. How do I change the tires while out on the road?

Thank you in advance
- Fred

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Changing Flat Tires?

You can lift the wheel off the ground with the level up system. Many of us do it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pegmikef

I call Good Sam's. Have called them twice. Best money I have ever spent (< 100 a year). . . but a couple of weeks ago, our site (at lake Proctor, TX ) sloped to one side a couple of inches and when the level up leveled the trailer, the curb side wheels were a quarter of an inch off the ground (would have been sufficient to change a flat. We were there with it like that for five nights.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

You can lift the wheel off the ground with the level up system. Many of us do it all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I would say, within reason-- on flat, level ground, when out of the way of passing traffic, while still hooked to the tow vehicle, etcetera etc., then maybe do so. I'm sure the wording is in the manual for legal reasons.

We have the Rieco Titan system, it says the same thing. When changing a tire in our storage lot, I put an extra 6 ton bottle jack under the frame too, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

boatto5er

I think I would say, within reason-- on flat, level ground, when out of the way of passing traffic, while still hooked to the tow vehicle, etcetera etc., then maybe do so. I'm sure the wording is in the manual for legal reasons.

We have the Rieco Titan system, it says the same thing. When changing a tire in our storage lot, I put an extra 6 ton bottle jack under the frame too, just in case.

Actually, I often find us on uneven (side to side) sites with the auto level lifting one side or the other completely off the ground, so flat level ground is not necessarily a requirement.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Actually, I often find us on uneven (side to side) sites with the auto level lifting one side or the other completely off the ground, so flat level ground is not necessarily a requirement.

I was talking specifically about changing a tire, and finding a safe place to do this. When a whole side is up off the tires and the jack system fails, what happens? I don't want to have the wheels off, I know that!

porthole

Retired

BTDT GTTS .............

Very simple, easy and relatively safe. Best thing is it makes a PITA job a bit more tolerable.
1st time I had to change a tire was literally 1 hour out of having my LevelUp installed!

From the time I put the emergency brake on until the time I put it back in D for "Dat-a-way", was only 10-15 minutes.

If you are on a busy interstate with narrow shoulders you might be best off destroying the tire and getting out of there - or let the roadside service people take care of it for you.

Disclaimer - this can be an extremely hazardous procedure that could result in serious bodily harm or death :cool:

Find a safe spot.
Trucks E brake on

If the location is not level, eg crown of the roadway, you may need some additional blocks under the jacks.
Trailer stays hooked up
Turn on the LevelUp, and access "manual mode"
Lower all 4 rear jacks until they just bottom out.
Alternate left and right sides to start raising the trailer.

The system will not allow raising out of side to side level more then about 2.5 degrees, that is one of the reasons for alternating.

If you can't get the lift because of the crown, then that is why you need the extra blocks.
On level ground you could expect to raise the tires off the ground Indy "style". That is four jacks all the way down and tires 4-6" off the ground.

I would suggest giving this a try long before you actually need to do it for real. Find and empty parking lot that is level.

As for all the naysayers about how dangerous it is, or catastrophic failures etc, it is no different then using any procedure to try and lift 6000-10000 on any trailer.
And IMHO, it is a much safer way.

Besides, even if the levelUp were to fail at the time you have the bad tire off, it will still have 3 tires (or 5 with a larger TH) to keep things up right.

Attachments

• LevelUp_install_15.jpg
    LevelUp_install_15.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 134

DocFather

I agree this is a really simple and functional way to change a tire. But don't tell Lippert. According to Lippert, using the Level-Up to the extent of raising the wheels off the ground voids the warranty. Don't take pics. LOL.

When I got my 4100 in July, I could not level it with the Level Up automatically. The only way I could get it level was in the manual mode. The gal at Lippert told me that it needed to be calibrated on a totally level parking lot, etc. She told me to go buy a 4' level and find a suitable parking area. Yeah right!!! Why didn't Heartland do that? Them she told me that if I used blocks under the "legs" and the wheels came off the ground, then I was voiding the warranty. I have never used the Automatic function, needless-to-say.

porthole

Retired

i agree this is a really simple and functional way to change a tire. But don't tell lippert. According to lippert, using the level-up to the extent of raising the wheels off the ground voids the warranty. Don't take pics. Lol.

When i got my 4100 in july, i could not level it with the level up automatically. The only way i could get it level was in the manual mode. The gal at lippert told me that it needed to be calibrated on a totally level parking lot, etc. She told me to go buy a 4' level and find a suitable parking area. Yeah right!!! Why didn't heartland do that? Them she told me that if i used blocks under the "legs" and the wheels came off the ground, then i was voiding the warranty. I have never used the automatic function, needless-to-say.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Just picked up my new 3875FB. I have full six way auto levelers, but I read in the manual not to lift the coach off the ground to change tires. How do I change the tires while out on the road?

Thank you in advance
- Fred

I would imagine you would change it like someone who doesn't have a level-up system, with a bottle jack under the axle.

boatto5er

I would imagine you would change it like someone who doesn't have a level-up system, with a bottle jack under the axle.

Not to reopen a can of worms, but here goes anyway: First of all - do lift the axel with a bottle jack unless you have an adapter that fits around the axel. The bottle jack can bend the axle. Secondly - the "warning" in the manual is a legal disclaimer for Lippert. There will be times that the auto level will take the wheels off the ground on one side to get you level. We've had this occur a couple of times on uneven sites. Third - many of us use the level up to change tires. It's probably the safest way to lift the trailer.

OK everyone, start shooting. :)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

BTDT GTTS .............

Very simple, easy and relatively safe. Best thing is it makes a PITA job a bit more tolerable.
1st time I had to change a tire was literally 1 hour out of having my LevelUp installed!

From the time I put the emergency brake on until the time I put it back in D for "Dat-a-way", was only 10-15 minutes.

If you are on a busy interstate with narrow shoulders you might be best off destroying the tire and getting out of there - or let the roadside service people take care of it for you.

Disclaimer - this can be an extremely hazardous procedure that could result in serious bodily harm or death :cool:

Find a safe spot.
Trucks E brake on

If the location is not level, eg crown of the roadway, you may need some additional blocks under the jacks.
Trailer stays hooked up
Turn on the LevelUp, and access "manual mode"
Lower all 4 rear jacks until they just bottom out.
Alternate left and right sides to start raising the trailer.

The system will not allow raising out of side to side level more then about 2.5 degrees, that is one of the reasons for alternating.

If you can't get the lift because of the crown, then that is why you need the extra blocks.
On level ground you could expect to raise the tires off the ground Indy "style". That is four jacks all the way down and tires 4-6" off the ground.

I would suggest giving this a try long before you actually need to do it for real. Find and empty parking lot that is level.

As for all the naysayers about how dangerous it is, or catastrophic failures etc, it is no different then using any procedure to try and lift 6000-10000 on any trailer.
And IMHO, it is a much safer way.

Besides, even if the levelUp were to fail at the time you have the bad tire off, it will still have 3 tires (or 5 with a larger TH) to keep things up right.

Thats one nice looking set for wheels and tires...... changing a tire by your Level-Up system makes sense period. The next best thing is to lift by the axle with a buffer using a bottle or floor type jack. Last resort is to lift the RV by the thin frame in one spot. (yikes)

porthole

Retired

Lifting by the frame, done correctly is no big deal, but who among us have the equipment.

When you take your trailer to MOR/ryde for an IS install that is exactly what they do.

But they are using 4 massive air over hydraulic bottle jack to lift the trailer.

Don't know the capacity, but they don't even slow down once the full weight of the trailer is sitting on them. They look to be about 12" in diameter and labeled 110, so maybe 110 ton?

Attachments

• MorRyde_IS_18b.jpg
    MorRyde_IS_18b.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 110

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Nobody here has explained why Lippert puts the warning in the manual to not use the level up to change a tire. Other then its liability issue. It's totally safe on the trailer to raise it up to change a tire. Not a issue, the chassis and components can handle it. The safety warning is for the event of equipment failure. Such as a hyd hose or cylinder failing while one or all of the tires are off. Causing the trailer to come down on you, lean causing the trailer to roll, or whatever reason you could think of is the Level Up failed.

Every time I unhook 1/3 of the Level Up supports between 1/4 and 1/5 of the weight of my trailer. But again I only have 1/3 of a complete level up system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Last edited:

danemayer

At the 2011 Goshen Rally, the Lippert Rep was answering a question about how to place jacks when changing a tire and commented that those of us with the auto-leveling system (4 point only at that time) didn't need to worry about placing jacks because we could use the leveling system to lift the wheels off the ground.

Of course there probably weren't that many leveling systems in play at that time, so they might have learned something since then that caused them to change their minds.

And of course on sites that aren't level, sometimes our 4 point auto-level system finishes up with one side off the ground.

JanAndBill

Since I don't have the level up system, I carry a 12 ton jack. I build up cribbing using the wood blocks I carry anyhow, and lift the frame. It's no big deal.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Since I don't have the level up system, I carry a 12 ton jack. I build up cribbing using the wood blocks I carry anyhow, and lift the frame. It's no big deal.
Your cribbing support on the bottom of the jack sounds correct.....the issue is the POC (point of contact) at the frame. These RV frames are not 1/4" thick so the weight/load needs to be spread along the frame surface by more than a jack head.