Changing Flat Tires with Levelup?

porthole

Retired
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Changing Flat Tires?

Lifting by the frame requires a lot of extra lift to get the tire off the ground.

Before LevelUp I used a Low Profile 20 ton bottle jack.Because I had MOR/ryde IS I had a flat 1.5" piece of steel suspension to lift with.
Had I still had conventional axles I would make a cradle as has been shown on the forum and lift directly under the spring hanger.

To make that lift even easier - drive the good tire up on several 2-by's.
Every 1.5" of 2-by is less lift with the jack.

20 Ton bottle jack makes it a lot easier to jack when you are laying on the ground and is not much more then a 6 or 10.

haulinem

Just picked up my new 3875FB. I have full six way auto levelers, but I read in the manual not to lift the coach off the ground to change tires. How do I change the tires while out on the road?

Thank you in advance
- Fred

Note the 3rd "Features/Advantages" as advertised on Lippert's own website. So like many others I think it is the safest way, especially on uneven ground.

chart.png

whp4262

Nobody here has explained why Lippert puts the warning in the manual to not use the level up to change a tire. Other then its liability issue. It's totally safe on the trailer to raise it up to change a tire. Not a issue, the chassis and components can handle it. The safety warning is for the event of equipment failure. Such as a hyd hose or cylinder failing while one or all of the tires are off. Causing the trailer to come down on you, lean causing the trailer to roll, or whatever reason you could think of is the Level Up failed.

Every time I unhook 1/3 of the Level Up supports between 1/4 and 1/5 of the weight of my trailer. But again I only have 1/3 of a complete level up system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

I agree with mattpopp that it is probably a liability issue for Lippert since the leveling system hydraulic cyclinders do not have a lock to prevent them from retracting in the event of a failure such as a line breaking and releasing pressure. I would not be afraid to change a tire with this system but don't think I would lay under the axle to look at something.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Just got done changing a tire with a screw in it and used 6pt Level Up. Not an issue, lifted trailer right up no effort at all. Great tool to have.

azbigfoot

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. Over the past month I've been too busy reading and absorbing all the information on the forums. Glad I could finally contribute something. Should be taking delivery of our 2013 Landmark Sequoia in about two weeks. Full-timing will begin in February!

Jeff

tljack