jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Bought a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

On my Platnum key fob if I hold down the unlock button it will roll down the 2 front windows. It's a cool feature !!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

On my Platnum key fob if I hold down the unlock button it will roll down the 2 front windows. It's a cool feature !!!

I wonder if my Chevy will do that :confused:

I’m at the Chevy dealer getting an oil change right now . . .

Will have to try that when I get my truck back!

I also decided that OnStar was too pricey for me, so the phone APP now only has limited features. :p

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya I do miss my OnStar and the piece of mind. I've used it the emergency button twice now when we were up in the mountains and had no cell service. Met the ambulance half way down both times.
I still have it in the Danali but don't drive it much.

porthole

Retired

Ya I do miss my OnStar and the piece of mind. I've used it the emergency button twice now when we were up in the mountains and had no cell service. Met the ambulance half way down both times.
I still have it in the Danali but don't drive it much.

Onstar is cellular based using the Verizon network in the ConUS.

Is your cellphone provider other then verizon?

- - - Updated - - -

On our Lincoln the long press opens all the windows and a subsequent press closes them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We have Verizon cellular . . .

Is there some kind of special deal between Verizon and OnStar :confused:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

OnStar phone service is Verizon cellular based however the emergency part of it "the red button" will use satailite based Service. That's what I've been told from OnStar, when I ask why my phone won't work, the OnStar phone won't work, but if I push the button I can get through. :-\
She explained to me how it works.

porthole

Retired

OnStar phone service is Verizon cellular based however the emergency part of it "the red button" will use satailite based Service. That's what I've been told from OnStar, when I ask why my phone won't work, the OnStar phone won't work, but if I push the button I can get through. :-\
She explained to me how it works.

Unless things changed, Onstar is not using satellites for voice communication.

The red button still uses cell technology.

The verizon network has wider and better coverage so that is a plus.

The system in the vehicle uses a rooftop cell antenna and probably the biggest plus is the vehicles cell system is 3 watts instead of .6 watts.

gregw

Key fob for the Chevy will roll all 4 windows down if you have it set up in the menu that way. 2016 LTZ.

jbeletti

Ford F-Series Rear Seat Release Kit

So I was trying to fold my rear seat-backs down to store a few items back there and found I could not easily fold the driver's side down. I saw what might have been a release but needed a tool to reach it, so I decided to defer it for now.

Then, a friend and Heartlander hit me via PM to see how I was liking my new truck. He (Terry Deal) also has a new SuperDuty. I asked him if there was a way to easily fold the seat-back down and he told me how to do it. Then he told me about a small engineering/manufacturing company that makes a simple add-on product that adds a nylon pull strap at the top of the seat-back that actuates a pin on the release mechanism. Really cool.

Now - how much if anything will I really store behind this seat? Probably not much or maybe nothing at all. But it would be nice to be able to fold that seat-back down easily for servicing if needed.

I'll be ordering one ASAP. Thanks Terry!

Details
Built Right Industries
Minneapolis, MN
612-444-1640 (voice or text)
https://www.builtrightind.com

$33 - Product Link

Rear+Seat+Release+-+1.jpg
Video (hosted on their Facebook page)

porthole

Retired

I don't understand why Ford made this difficult. I don't keep much behind my seat, but the rear wall liner is molded in such a shape that there is a perfect location for a fire extinguisher there.
But I mainly move the seat back in order to put my seat cover on before the dog bed goes in. And that is almost every trip.

jbeletti

Re: Buying a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Thanks for the updates. If there is a change in part number, please post it for the rest of us that are waiting for you to be the test pilot on this before we purchase.

Follow-up on my Remote Access install...

Fairway Ford told me they heard back from their other 2017 customer that the replacement VSS module with the different vendor p/n DID work. So that's good news.

My replacement VSS module was snafued in the USPS system. It shipped last Wednesday but never changed in the USPS system from "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item". I spoke to Kevin in Parts on Friday and he assured me it went out. As their post office had just closed for the day, he planned to follow-up with them on Monday or send me another replacement.

Well, it's now Sunday and I just refreshed my USPS tracking screen and the system now shows "In Transit" and planned delivery is Monday. Cool!

I'm thinking this really was an issue at USPS. Maybe them contracting with Amazon and other carriers to make household deliveries, even on Sundays - is stressing their system too much.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Ford F-Series Rear Seat Release Kit

So I was trying to fold my rear seat-backs down to store a few items back there and found I could not easily fold the driver's side down. I saw what might have been a release but needed a tool to reach it, so I decided to defer it for now.

Then, a friend and Heartlander hit me via PM to see how I was liking my new truck. He (Terry Deal) also has a new SuperDuty. I asked him if there was a way to easily fold the seat-back down and he told me how to do it. Then he told me about a small engineering/manufacturing company that makes a simple add-on product that adds a nylon pull strap at the top of the seat-back that actuates a pin on the release mechanism. Really cool.

Now - how much if anything will I really store behind this seat? Probably not much or maybe nothing at all. But it would be nice to be able to fold that seat-back down easily for servicing if needed.

I'll be ordering one ASAP. Thanks Terry!

Details
Built Right Industries
Minneapolis, MN
612-444-1640 (voice or text)
https://www.builtrightind.com

$33 - Product Link

View attachment 55464
Video (hosted on their Facebook page)
I just ordered one. Thanks Jim
I think you got the last one now they are on backorder I think. It's odd that Ford put one on the passenger side seat to get to the jack, but not the driver's side.

jbeletti

Bought a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

I just ordered one. Thanks Jim
I think you got the last one now they are on backorder I think. It's odd that Ford put one on the passenger side seat to get to the jack, but not the driver's side.

Darn you Jerrod You we’re supposed to see this, then I was going to order you one since I owe you for the other thing. But it’s all good.

I texted this company about fitment of their bed side mount storage panel. I want one for my passenger side rear to strap my $20 Harbor Freight step to. It’s perfect for fueling my low mounted aux tank as my AMP Bed Step 2 are no help in my configuration.

Anyway, fitment is TBD. I will take pics and measurements and send them in. They said they’ll accept a return and refund me if what they sell now doesn’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Darn you Jerrod You we’re supposed to see this, then I was going to order you one since I owe you for the other thing. But it’s all good.

I texted this company about fitment of their bed side mount storage panel. I want one for my passenger side rear to strap my $20 Harbor Freight step to. It’s perfect for fueling my low mounted aux tank as my Bed Steps are no help in my configuration.

Anyway, fitment is TBD. I will take pics and measurements and send them in. They said they’ll accept a return and refund me if what they sell now doesn’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim but you'll have to be faster than that.

porthole

Retired
Re: Buying a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

I'm thinking this really was an issue at USPS.

The USPS tracking has always been poor. Not unusual to see a label created and then no updates until about an hour after it is your mailbox.

Look at these two tracks.
The one is a USPS number, picked up 60 hours ago, 10 miles from our house. Won't see anything new until after it is delivered.

Look at the last line. "Your item departed ... the facility .... this does not indicate receipt by the USPS ...... or actual date

The second is a detailed UPS number with updates every step of the way - until - it is transferred to the USPS, then nothing for the last 60 hours.

Two different cities, two different tracking numbers, but I am pretty sure they both are related to my trailer replacement junction box.

Attachments

• IMG_4256.jpg
    IMG_4256.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 33

danemayer

I'm thinking this really was an issue at USPS. Maybe them contracting with Amazon and other carriers to make household deliveries, even on Sundays - is stressing their system too much.

We've been having numerous problems with Amazon Prime deliveries going through USPS. I've talked with the local Postmaster and with our carrier. They are getting so many Amazon packages that they're overwhelmed. And the carrier has a problem with size of the boxes. His personal vehicle is already almost full with the mail bins. He can handle a few small packages on top of that and then he out of space. So we're just getting notices in the mailbox that the package is available for pickup at the Post Office. And Amazon is frequently sending shipping updates that say the delivery date has been missed and they're not sure when the package will be delivered - contact us in 3-5 days if it doesn't show up. A redelivery request is usually honored, but usually takes an additional 2 days.

I've been complaining to Amazon and asking them to allow us to opt out of USPS deliveries. And every time they miss a "guaranteed delivery" date, I'm asking Amazon for compensation.

jbeletti

...I've been complaining to Amazon and asking them to allow us to opt out of USPS deliveries. And every time they miss a "guaranteed delivery" date, I'm asking Amazon for compensation.

Have they compensated you in some way for the miss?

jbeletti

Love the Tailgate Step in my 2017 F450

Here's something I'm really loving about the new truck. It's not new to Ford but it's new to me. And I didn't think I'd use it much. The step that's built-into the tailgate. I haven't had a full tailgate since I've been pulling 5th wheels (2005), so there's bit of learning on my part, starting with simply getting up into the bed. It was SO much easier with the RV Hauler bed, but I'm getting my new routine down.

So the step built-into the tailgate has been great. But for full-figured guys like me and on this F450, that step is really high. Yesterday, I loaded my tool box with stuff and was up and down that step a number of times. By the end of the day, my left knee was sore.

Today, while adjusting the Roll-N-Lock cover tracks, I decided to use this $20 (on-sale & w/coupon) aluminum step from Harbor Freight to help me reach the Ford step. Perfect!

Now I just need a place in the bed to store the HF step so it's not moving all over. I "have a plan" :)

IMG_5404.jpg
Google ChromeScreenSnapz380.jpg

Last edited:

danemayer

Have they compensated you in some way for the miss?
Three times. Compensation varied based on $ value of the order. First was $15 refund. Second was $25 Amazon Credit. Third was a 1 month extension of Prime - $8 value.

My argument is that they missed the 2 days and it's a 15 mile round trip to the Post Office and 45 minutes of my time to pick up a package where Amazon guaranteed 2 day delivery.

I'm also posting to the Amazon FB page and generally trying to make them very uncomfortable over the poor service they've opted to provide.

jbeletti

Blackvue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera Install

About 2 years ago, my Lukas dash camera died (heat failure I think). In June 2017, I replaced it with the Blackvue DR650S-2CH, 2 channel dash camera. Note: The DR650S-2CH has been discontinued. Check out the DR750S-2CH ($390 Amazon.com bundle).

I've since replaced that truck and today I installed the Blackvue system into the new 2017 Ford F450. Installation is pretty straight-forward - like most dash cameras. Soon, I will be improving upon my initial installation by doing something more permanent and hidden for powering the system and by managing the rear camera cable a bit.

Here's what I did...

Prep Cameras
  1. Added 3M Trim tape to the mounting pads of both camera mounts. On the front camera, I had to build up one end as the camera mount was going onto a mostly flat area with a bit of a radius at one end
  2. Cleaned the cameras and lenses with paper towel soaked with Windex
Prep Glass
  1. Removed the wiring and mount cover (2 piece) for the OEM windshield mounted rearview mirror
  2. Sprayed Windex on the windshield and rear window sliding glass, and wiped the camera mounting area clean with a paper towel
Install Cameras
  1. Drilled hole for front camera wiring in edge of frontmost plastic cover on windshield below rearview mirror
  2. Removed backer from 3M Trim Tape and mounted both cameras
Run Wiring
  1. Ran rear camera wiring behind vertical trim at passenger side of rear window, then behind black rubber window weather stripping over to pillar between front and back doors. Ran wiring behind plastic trim and more black rubber window weather stripping to get to front edge of headliner where it meets the windshield. Ran wiring above headliner, over to rearview mirror area and down windshield to camera mounting area
  2. Ran power wiring from front camera mounting area, up to and under headliner, over to passenger door area, down A-pillar behind trim to behind glove box. Pulled glove box down, coiled and stored excess wiring behind glove box and connected power plug into dash DC power receptacle (temporary)
Connect and Test
  1. System turned on automatically
  2. Connected Smartphone to camera WiFi hot spot
  3. Tweaked various settings in the camera (via its app) to my liking and rebooted camera
  4. Reviewed video quality and camera aiming and adjusted cameras (up and down) as needed
Yet to Do
  1. I will be doing some sort of powering project for the camera. I'm considering connecting it to one of the upfitter switches and including an auto-shutoff based on battery voltage.
  2. I will be installing some small black plastic clips to the rear window to better manage the rear camera wiring
Dash Camera - Front - Installed - 01.jpg Dash Camera - Front - Camera Image.jpgDash Camera - Rear - Installed - 01.jpg Dash Camera - Rear - Camera Image - 01.jpg

More install pictures located in this Smugmug gallery.

Link to my truck mod index.

Last edited: