jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

jbeletti

Re: Buying a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Modification: Added Ford Remote Access to Truck (Start, Stop, Lock, Unlock and Find - all via cellular)

Updated 28-Nov-2017 to include installation images and link to gallery.

To enable use of the Ford Remote Access feature for my 2017 Super Duty, here's what I ordered:

Fairway Ford via eBay
- $139.95 - FT4Z-19A361-A (VSS)*
- $169.95 DL3Z-19A390-B (RMU)

* Note that the VSS part number varies depending on model year of Super Duty

While not "required" for this feature, I decided to order the Security System LED as well.
- $9.99 - DM5Z19D596A (LED kit for VSS)

Below is a picture of the above 3 items plugged into one another. The 2 large connectors will connect to the OBD port and CAN BUS feed. And here's a link to an image gallery for all of these items. Tomorrow, I'll add install pictures to the gallery.
IMG_5361.jpg

I've attached the installation manual for these parts as well.

More info on Ford Remote Access from Ford website.

Dealer Activation Instructions
- Have the tech log into PTS. Enter vehicle year and model and hit "Go".
- Hover the mouse over the Workshop tab and select "Accessory Installation"
- Scroll down to the bottom in the Electrical section and click the link titled "Remote Access Activation"

From there the tech will be directed to an activation website where they follow the step by step instructions to generate a PIN.

It's probably best if the tech is on the phone with you during activation. He will test the features from his computer, and you can confirm with him over the phone that it worked.

Installation Images

OBD (unplug OBD connector and install new Y-harness)
IMG_5363 (1).jpg

VSS Module (adds vibration sensor to security system and has jacks for RMU, security LED and long-range FOB antenna), tie-wrapped under dash in accessible location to allow for vibration sensor adjustment
IMG_5455.jpg

RMU Module (cellular modem) wrapped in cloth, taped and tucked inside center console under dash
IMG_5449.jpg

Ford Remote Access app icon (iOS)
IMG_5634.jpg

For Remote Access app main screen
IMG_5633.jpg

Complete image gallery.

Link to my truck mod index.

Attachments

• Vehicle Security System - Remote Start - Remote Acess - Installation Manual.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Pizzaguy

Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

To enable use of the Ford Remote Access feature for my 2017 Super Duty, here's what I ordered:

Fairway Ford via eBay
- $139.95 - FT4Z-19A361-A (VSS)*
- $169.95 DL3Z-19A390-B (RMU)

* Note that the VSS part number varies depending on model year of Super Duty

While not "required" for this feature, I decided to order the Security System LED as well.
- $9.99 - DM5Z19D596A (LED kit for VSS)

Below is a picture of the above 3 items plugged into one another. The 2 large connectors will connect to the OBD port and CAN BUS feed. And here's a link to an image gallery for all of these items. Tomorrow, I'll add install pictures to the gallery.
View attachment 55414

I've attached the installation manual for these parts as well.

More info on Ford Remote Access from Ford website.

Dealer Activation Instructions- Have the tech log into PTS. Enter vehicle year and model and hit "Go".
- Hover the mouse over the Workshop tab and select "Accessory Installation"
- Scroll down to the bottom in the Electrical section and click the link titled "Remote Access Activation"
From there the tech will be directed to an activation website where they follow the step by step instructions to generate a PIN.
It's probably best if the tech is on the phone with you during activation. He will test the features from his computer, and you can confirm with him over the phone that it worked.

Too bad the Super Duty wan't as simple as the Lincolns.

Deb's 2016 MKC - download iPhone app, link, start car.

Maybe because the car has built in connectivity?

jbeletti

Too bad the Super Duty wan't as simple as the Lincolns.

Deb's 2016 MKC - download iPhone app, link, start car.

Maybe because the car has built in connectivity?

Yes, that's my sense too Duane. The modem is the connectivity element. It plugs into the VSS module which plugs into the CAN-Bus. I didn't have either of these components and Deb's car likely did. I understand the 2018 SuperDuty trucks will have a HotSpot in them. My guess is that if the owner activates that service, they can then download the Remote Access app and will be good to go.

Wondering if it makes any sense to consider hacking the 2018 com gear into a 2017? :)

porthole

Retired

Wondering if it makes any sense to consider hacking the 2018 com gear into a 2017? :)

Of course it does if you have the skills !

Ah yes, the old embedded modem trick.
Her car does have the modem and there is no annual fee for it's use. Part of the privilege for paying extra for a glorified Ford :rolleyes:

jbeletti

Of course it does if you have the skills !

Ah yes, the old embedded modem trick.
Her car does have the modem and there is no annual fee for it's use. Part of the privilege for paying extra for a glorified Ford :rolleyes:

Similar to the "included" features in some models of the Tesla vehicles (Internet, recharging etc.)

jbeletti

So I installed the VSS/RMU modules today to enable the Ford Remote Access app.

It was a no-go :(

After the install, I got on the phone with the dealership I bought the parts from for them to activate my system and while they could get into the RMU, they could not get into the VSS, therefore they could not finalize the configuration.

I had to remove the modules in order to read off some numbers from the only side of the VSS module that I failed to take pictures of. They wanted a specific manufacturing number. Turns out, the VSS carries the same Ford part number they've always used for 2017 Super Duty trucks but the manufacturer of the part itself has apparently made a change within the VSS. A week ago, they have another customer with a 2017 Super Duty and the VSS with this specific mfr part number also failed to activate.

The dealer's Ford parts rep told them to use a VSS with a different / specific mfr part number. They have not heard back from that customer yet. They had one in stock and are sending it to me. The Ford rep wants these modules back so Ford can figure out why they aren't working.

Note that for 2018 model year Fords - these parts won't be needed due to the integration of the Ford Pass system in most products.

So - now we wait for the replacement part. I can attest that the shock sensor in the VSS works! I was in the truck, with it locked (therefore alarm armed) to do the activation sequence and I bumped the door arm rest. Oops. I set it off :) The VSS module has a shock sensitivity knob on it. Later, I'll optimize that setting.

I've added a few more pictures to the project gallery.

Pizzaguy

Thanks for the updates. If there is a change in part number, please post it for the rest of us that are waiting for you to be the test pilot on this before we purchase.

jbeletti

Thanks for the updates. If there is a change in part number, please post it for the rest of us that are waiting for you to be the test pilot on this before we purchase.
Sure thing. I don't think the Ford p/n will change but for the 2017 SDs, the vendor p/n of the VSS may be different. If this ends up being the case, I'll have that vendor p/n for you to confirm with your supplier.

porthole

Retired

Maybe for 2018 it will be as simple as it is for the Lincoln.

Download app, register the car, open app, push button.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpg
    IMG_4217.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 33

jbeletti

Maybe for 2018 it will be as simple as it is for the Lincoln.

Download app, register the car, open app, push button.
I'll bet it will be. Fairway Ford shipped my replacement VSS module today - one with a different mfr p/n. Hope to have it Friday and give it another go!

Bones

I'll bet it will be. Fairway Ford shipped my replacement VSS module today - one with a different mfr p/n. Hope to have it Friday and give it another go!

Ram already has this feature for a little while now. :) :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Same with GM and OnStar. I can check fuel levels, tire pressure, oil change status, lock and unlock doors, start the car, and more. All from my phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

The Lincoln app is free, the modem doesn't require any service fee.

When I had an Onstar I was a bit miffed that it was a forced option (that GM kept hidden was about $1200) and that if you wanted to really use it's features you had to pay for service. It got better when GM partnered with Verizon, but still another expense.

Deb's Lincoln also has wifi. Everytime we pull in the driveway it connects and checks for updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Includes a free app to start your truck from anywhere?

Bones

The Lincoln app is free, the modem doesn't require any service fee.

When I had an Onstar I was a bit miffed that it was a forced option (that GM kept hidden was about $1200) and that if you wanted to really use it's features you had to pay for service. It got better when GM partnered with Verizon, but still another expense.

Deb's Lincoln also has wifi. Everytime we pull in the driveway it connects and checks for updates.

- - - Updated - - -

Includes a free app to start your truck from anywhere?

Nothing is free. I had to pay a service fee for it and I refused to so it is currently deactivated

Nice - so nothing to add, just configure and activate? How do you like it?
Jim it was a neat feature but I never used it. I didn't care to pay extra for what my phone would already provide and it was 3G not LTE

jbeletti

My 2017 Ram 1/2 ton has it, but only free for 6 months. Then it is $149.00/year.
Ouch. Ford (or AT&T?) is nicking us $49/year. That's for Start, Stop, Lock, Unlock and Find. Perhaps for RAM, you get all the other vehicle data. Now, if you got xGB of data for a hotspot for $150 a year, that would be something to consider :)

Pizzaguy

Ouch. Ford (or AT&T?) is nicking us $49/year. That's for Start, Stop, Lock, Unlock and Find. Perhaps for RAM, you get all the other vehicle data. Now, if you got xGB of data for a hotspot for $150 a year, that would be something to consider :)

Uconnect does add a few features for the $149/year, but not a hotspot. That is an additional $9.99/day or $19.99/wk or $49.99/month and it is only 3G speed. I do like their system better than Ford's Sync though.

porthole

Retired

Maybe, just maybe I might spring for $50

But with the current truck, I've never found a need to be able to start the truck with anything other then the remote fob. And I already get the find my truck feature with our iPhones.
That actually works really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you do the windows once you get everything working?
That would be beneficial.