jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

There is play but not much. I have that thin Teflon plate and was told if I try to use a thicker one that sometimes the jaws won't latch.
That video you posted just seemed like you had the *** en overloaded or full tank of fresh water.
Not enough pin wait. I don't believe you have any issues with the hitch.
Of course that's just my opinion !!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bones

There is play but not much. I have that thin Teflon plate and was told if I try to use a thicker one that sometimes the jaws won't latch.
That video you posted just seemed like you had the *** en overloaded or full tank of fresh water.
Not enough pin wait. I don't believe you have any issues with the hitch.
Of course that's just my opinion !!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No fresh water. Empty trailer and it should have been about 2300 lbs on the pin. I usually have more but I emptied the trailer. Maybe heartland will work with me and we can weight the pin while I'm there.

jbeletti

Modification: Added Driver Side, Rear Seat Back, Latch Kit

Two weeks ago, I mentioned this product in a post in this thread. This new post details my installation.

On some Ford trucks, accessing the space behind the driver side back seat is difficult. BuiltRight Industries manufactures and markets a Latch Kit that allows easy access to the area behind the seat via a simple pull-strap.

Below are pictures of my installation and a link to an installation video by BuiltRight.

Link to my truck mod index.

BuiltRight Industries Driver Side Rear Seat Release Kit - Installation Complete.jpg BuiltRight Industries Driver Side Rear Seat Release Kit - Installation 1.jpg BuiltRight Industries Driver Side Rear Seat Release Kit - Pre-Installation.jpg

Bones

Modification: Added Driver Side, Rear Seat Back, Latch Kit

Two weeks ago, I mentioned this product in a post in this thread. This new post details my installation.

On some Ford trucks, accessing the space behind the driver side back seat is difficult. BuiltRight Industries manufactures and markets a Latch Kit that allows easy access to the area behind the seat via a simple pull-strap.

Below are pictures of my installation and a link to an installation video by BuiltRight.

View attachment 55650 View attachment 55651 View attachment 55652

looks like a useful mod Jim. At least the back of your seat goes forward. Mine do not.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Modification: Timer-based DC Circuit Controller

Yesterday, I installed the ChargeGuard X product from Havis. ChargeGuard works by automatically turning mobile equipment on when you start the engine. When you turn the engine off, the equipment stays on for an adjustable period of time, then is automatically disabled. The ChargeGuard X item I installed also turns equipment off when the battery voltage reaches 10 volts.

My application of this product is for my BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera system. The camera will be powered via the Upfitter Switch #5 circuit. The ChargeGuard will continue to power the Dash Camera for the time I've configured. I'm starting with 18 hours. Optionally, I can cut power to the ChargeGuard device be turing Upfitter Switch #5 off.

Install Process
  • I determined the best location to mount the ChargeGuard was under the dash and in an area I could easily access without removal, should I need to adjust the timer settings DIP switches
  • I decided to use an Upfitter Switch (#5) to provide power to the ChargeGuard. This required me to do a few things. 1. I needed to find the blunt cut wiring bundle for the switch circuits and identify the wire I needed. 2. I needed to move adjust a fuse position in the Upfitter Switch Relay Box to convert the switch circuit I wanted to use to "always hot". 3. Determine the best wire routing path from under the dash to the engine compartment.
  • I wrapped a half-inch of rope over the end of a large screwdriver and taped the rope in place. Then I poked the screwdriver into the large rubber boot under the dash and into the firewall. Using a creeper and a box cutter, I rolled under the truck, felt the screwdriver tip inside the outer boot and slit the boot
  • I pulled the rope off the screwdriver tip, pulled the rope out about 3 feet and tied it off to a hood support, then went back inside the truck and pulled the screwdriver out of the boot
  • I placed heavy gauge wire inside some 1/2" split loom, taped the end to the rope and pulled the wire into the cab
  • I connected the positive lead of my wiring to the blunt cut wire from upfitter switch 5 relay output and connected the negative lead to the battery negative post
  • Under the dash, I connected the power feed to the ChargeGuard, connected an ATC fuse holder to the output of the ChargeGuard, connected my branch circuit to the output of the fuse holder and the ChargeGuard ground, then used a long tie-wrap to mount the ChargeGuard under the dash

Install Pictures

ChargeGuard-X by Havis
Havis - ChargeGuard-X.jpg

ChargeGuard tie-wrapped under the dash to allow access to timer adjustment DIP switches
Charge Guard - 09.jpg

Upfitter Switch Relay Box and Upfitter Switch Circuit Blunt Cut Wires
Charge Guard - 08.jpg

Battery Ground connection for ChargeGuard
Charge Guard - 07.jpg

Link to complete image gallery

Last edited:

LBR

How much usable room is behind the rear driver's side seat?......I fiddled with mine for a couple minutes and couldn't figure out how to release it either.

jbeletti

How much usable room is behind the rear driver's side seat?......I fiddled with mine for a couple minutes and couldn't figure out how to release it either.

Not much room back there. The Sony amplifier is there. I might be able to store my sunshades back there. But not being able to easily open that seat back, for any reason seemed like that needed to be solved.

LBR

Not much room back there. The Sony amplifier is there. I might be able to store my sunshades back there. But not being able to easily open that seat back, for any reason seemed like that needed to be solved.
Thanx...and agreed...if someone wishes to vacumn back there a couple times per year, it would be a green light to do so with that pull strap to open easily.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Don't remember if I posted this video before. Upfitter switches from key on to key off

[video=youtube;K73sYQcO-SU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=K73sYQcO-SU[/video]

jbeletti

Don't remember if I posted this video before. Upfitter switches from key on to key off

I hadn't previously seen that video - thanks for it.

I had previously downloaded an Upfitter Switch guide (attached) and read how to change switches 5 & 6 to hot always. Simple process that worked perfectly for me :)

Attachments

• Upfitter Switches - Q-252.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 24

JBoyerinAbq

Jim,

Was looking at your posts and having just purchased a new F450, I'm wondering what brand tank/toolbox you have and what type of bed cover did you choose?

Jeff

Bones

Jeff,

Tank/Tool Box: ATTA AT52TT-RT with Freedom Fill Option (link)
Cover: Roll-N-Lock M-Series tonneau cover (link)
I looked at your tank. I'm not sure how big you primary tank is but will 38 gallons give you a significant amount of fuel to keep running for awhile or should I look into having a bigger tank made to fit my set up? I know my primary is about 30 gallons and I only get about 250 miles out of it before I get nervous. The current tank gets us to most all of our places just fine for now. I'm just looking for a bit more comfort when traveling.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at your tank. I'm not sure how big you primary tank is but will 38 gallons give you a significant amount of fuel to keep running for awhile or should I look into having a bigger tank made to fit my set up? I know my primary is about 30 gallons and I only get about 250 miles out of it before I get nervous. The current tank gets us to most all of our places just fine for now. I'm just looking for a bit more comfort when traveling.
Depending on what style of tonneau cover used if you have one will give you more options for a aux tank.
Personally I thing that the 38 gallon tank is a little skinny. I prefer more, mine is 60 gallon. You will never get the advertised amount of fuel in the tank and most likely will not use every drop that is in the tank, so a 38 gallon tank will provide maybe 30 gallons of fuel.
Your RAM will have enough capacity to handle the extra weight and you can travel forever with an extra 50 gallons of fuel.
Here is another brand of auxiliary tank that has a few more size options.
But, we all have differing wants and needs. JMO

Peace
Dave