'16 vs. '17 Newport - Hershey RV Show dissapointment

dpclapham

Just returned from the Hershey show where we 'compared' our 2016 Newport with the 2017 Newport. Wow, what is Heartland thinking? Fortunately we went with the 2016 a few months ago as they sure have changed things. Okay, they did add some pretty cool lighting features, but got rid of the 'home' feeling. Sconces are gone from the back wall and bathroom, framed mirror TV in the bedroom - gone, wood work around the bathroom mirror vanished, LED lighting in the curved wood piece over the bed has been replaced with a square obtrusive piece...all in all I think they have really scaled back too far on what makes Landmark 365's different from all the others. Not sure what's going on at Heartlands design center, but hope they revert back to being a leader versus a follower. Did anyone else notice a difference in quality from previous years to this model year? I hope so, and hope they revert back to style and class - that's why we bought the Landmark in the first place!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just returned from the Hershey show where we 'compared' our 2016 Newport with the 2017 Newport. Wow, what is Heartland thinking? Fortunately we went with the 2016 a few months ago as they sure have changed things. Okay, they did add some pretty cool lighting features, but got rid of the 'home' feeling. Sconces are gone from the back wall and bathroom, framed mirror TV in the bedroom - gone, wood work around the bathroom mirror vanished, LED lighting in the curved wood piece over the bed has been replaced with a square obtrusive piece...all in all I think they have really scaled back too far on what makes Landmark 365's different from all the others. Not sure what's going on at Heartlands design center, but hope they revert back to being a leader versus a follower. Did anyone else notice a difference in quality from previous years to this model year? I hope so, and hope they revert back to style and class - that's why we bought the Landmark in the first place!
I don't get it !!!!
Landmark is supposed to be top on the line. I don't understand why they think they need to cut all of those corners to bring the price down a little bit. I'm told there goal is to sell more affordable units. My thought is that's what the others brands are for.
KEEP LANDMARK A LANDMARK.
Other then the nice gas cook Top I'm definitely glad we got our Ashland when we did.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jddelano

Well that's more disappointment. I had tentatively decided that the Ashland would be our next RV (in 2018) (although I'm hesitant about the cross-hallway bath arrangement) but found out that HL had discontinued the floor plan . My next choice was the Newport but I didn't want the 1/2 bath (would have liked an office like the Montana's have (I'd never purchase a Montana) and the latest RV show feedback is discouraging but good to hear (thanks dpclapham for the assessment). There are no other HL LM floorplans I'm interested in.

The 2017 changes I was hoping for were things like MORryde IS system, Dishwasher, Keyless Entry, MCD day/night, better frame, water manifold, and electric entry steps (these items would have been more top of the line IMHO). I don't understand the obsession with LED light strings everywhere in all rigs today--some lighting is nice but it seems a bit overkill to me.

So were reassessing. We'll change our mind before we purchase, but if we were to buy today we would consider a used Ashland (there won't be any new ones left by the time we're ready to purchase) or a used DRV (better construction than LM), or maybe a new Augusta Ambition/Luxe (too many unknowns right now with these rigs/manufacture but they seem to have the best value IMO).

Miltp920

We did a factory tour to see the OshKosh. We had learned that Landmark was possibly replacing the previous solid drawer bottoms with lighter cheaper thinner wood. So I took a drawer out to look at the bottom. Even the tour guide said he remembered it being "solid" wood. Now it is a thinner "wood panel". We saw some of the floor structure up front supported by upright (looked like) 1 inch by 1 inch pine supports (I did not have a tape measure). On a tour of SOB the same day, these same supports were aluminum framing welded, just like the rest of the wall structure. Seems like there is truth to the previous suggestion that Landmark is trying to get the price down by using lighter-cheaper materials....disappointing. What else are they downgrading that you do not see out in the open when touring the finished product?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thats sad that hear. I can't imagine what there thinking. They build the Landmark 365 and have a bunch of big fans, owners, and wannabe owners.
They have build a awesome RV that could use a little bit of tweaking to make it perfect but instead they have chosen to go the other direction.
That's very disappointing to hear.

Cholo

Thats sad that hear. I can't imagine what there thinking. They build the Landmark 365 and have a bunch of big fans, owners, and wannabe owners.
They have build a awesome RV that could use a little bit of tweaking to make it perfect but instead they have chosen to go the other direction.
That's very disappointing to hear.

I agree, especially since I waited and just ordered my new Newport!

I am just beside myself! I will be very angry if the drawers are changed. May sound petty to some but, after looking for over a year the Landmark won us over because of things like the wood bottoms! I was following along with the changes and was not completely happy but, understand. I thought I had good communication with some of the people "in the know" about the changes so I felt comfortable. At no time was I made aware that my Newport will be made inferior to last years model!! In fact I was led to believe that it would be equal to or better. NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW!! Will be looking at my new Newport sometime after mid October and I sure hope we are not disappointed.
Sorry about the edit, I'm mad as h....
End of rant.

Fulltimers

Our 2017 was built in March before the mid-year changes. Sure glad we ordered when we did. Selling the sizzle (which sounds like what they are going to) is only short lived. This will be our home for many years and quality was paramount in our selection. So far it has been hands down far supreme to the Redwood we had before the Newport.

Cholo

Our 2017 was built in March before the mid-year changes. Sure glad we ordered when we did. Selling the sizzle (which sounds like what they are going to) is only short lived. This will be our home for many years and quality was paramount in our selection. So far it has been hands down far supreme to the Redwood we had before the Newport.

We were trying to buy in March also but, we had a financial setback and had to wait. What gets me is that we ordered based on the 10 or more Landmarks that we saw. The only reason I found out about the changes was by asking a question about an available option through the "chat" function of the Heartland website. I then asked everybody who would listen, questions about the changes including members of this forum and Heartland staff. My dealer ordered a unit and did not know about the changes. I'm wondering how many were ordered without telling the customer that they were going to be different than the one they saw at the dealership? Was I wrong to order mine at this time? They took effect mid September. The web site still has not been changed to reflect the changes!

dpclapham

I'm surprised that Landmark is going this direction BUT I'm not seeing the price point drop. Something doesn't match up here!

SNOKING

Bighorn is seeing cheaper interiors also. Here is a picture of our March built 2017.

and this is a new 2017 at on a dealers lot. Gone is the chair rail and two tone walls.

And here is another slightly different interior:

Cholo

Bighorn is seeing cheaper interiors also. Here is a picture of our March built 2017.

and this is a new 2017 at on a dealers lot. Gone is the chair rail and two tone walls.

And here is another slightly different interior:

Thanks for the pic's. Nobody has posted pictures of the new Landmark, unless I missed them.

Mike-n-Justina

If your that angry, can you cancel your order? Later maybe you can find the model you like on a lot and have a look at it before you buy. Things change all the time in the RV world. Get used to it. Don't let these changes upset you so much. You might actually like it when it arrives. Life is too short.

BusManRG

I think your bottom pic might be a Traveler??? And the middle pic is more like our August built Big Horn. Except we got the cheap dinette chairs. I think they've dropped the sconces from the Sept built units.

SNOKING

I think your bottom pic might be a Traveler??? And the middle pic is more like our August built Big Horn. Except we got the cheap dinette chairs. I think they've dropped the sconces from the Sept built units.

The bottom photo was from a 3575el add. Chris