2005 Landmark Grand Canyon Would You Consider?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hogladyrider,I just showed the pictures of the unit you are looking at to my wife and she agrees with me that it looks just like ours a Mt Rushmore.She also wanted me to tell you that she absolutely loves it.She likes it better than anything she has ever seen.Terry and Renee

Hogladyrider

To Update Everyone

Well we went back to the dealer today to look at the RV again. I was armed with my questions, thanks to you all here on the forum and my research!

It is NOT a Grand Canyon it is a Mt. Rushmore. I asked the salesman to check with the owners if they had the original paperwork to see what options the unit has and check on the model.

I had found on this forum, somewhere a posting of all the Landmark models from 2005 and I printed it out and brought it with me. Sure enough right on the registration it is a Mt. Rushmore.

Bottom line is we have decided to "pass" on the RV for now.

It is sound, however, it needs 4 new tires, minor issue, and when we crawled underneath it we found some of the OSB under the sheathing sealing the underbelly was damaged from water and deteriorated. It is fixable, taking the underbelly covering off and replacing with marine grade plywood. We are not sure what caused the water leak, the area is towards the front of the 5th wheel underneath the headboard of the bed area.

We also did not see a support beam for the fresh water tank which was a factory update as someone posted previously.

We looked around at some other units on the dealers lot, because we love to look, no charge for looking. We looked at Open Range, Sundance, and they had a 2007 Cedar Creek we looked at that was really amazing.

The Cedar Creek 5th wheel is on consignment as well, and the current owner left all the paperwork in the 5th wheel, so I looked thru the paperwork. The original bill of sale was in with the paperwork, $36k and they traded in a 1999 Carriage for $10k. The original owners are from Michigan and have relocated to The Villages in Florida.

The 5th wheel is in really great shape, has a full size Amana refrigerator, great rear entertainment living area, NO TV comes with the unit, only one AC unit, split bath, overall in much better condition than the Landmark. So I asked the salesman what is your bottom line, rock bottom price on this unit.......he goes to see the boss, comes back and hands me a business card with $36,900 on it, I immediately said, "you have got to be kidding me that is more than what they paid for the unit new! I can order a brand new 2010 Heartland for that price. The salesman looked at me in bewilderment.

I proceeded to show him the original bill of sale for the RV, he did not even know it was in the trailer and he went in to see his boss. Apparently the current owners set the price, which is $44k and they would let the unit go for $36,900. Thanks BUT NO THANKS.

The last thing I am going to do is support someone's home in The Villages!

We have pretty much decided we are going to order a new Heartland thru RV's for Less in Knoxville. We had cut a deal with them previously on a unit they had on the lot, but when they double checked due to our questions, there was a misposting on the web site stating the unit we were purchasing had dual pane windows and it really doesn't. This dealership has been extremely professional and courteous to work with and very accommodating to us as well and have definitely earned and deserve our business.

Will keep you all posted and thanks so much for all the input and great advice. Anyone looking for a used Mt. Rushmore you can probably pick it up for $25k.
Susan

PS - I think the dealer was surprised that we had done our homework!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Well I will have to say that doing your homework is the name of the game and a good way to get a good deal and not get stuck with a lemon.While we have not done any business with RVs for less,many on the site have.From what I hear they are good people and good people to deal with.If you don't mind me asking which model Landmark are you looking at buying? Good luck with your decision and keep us posted of your progress. Terry and Renee