30 AMP Extension Cord

Electricians my husband and I are definitely not! We were at a Tennessee State Park last weekend and the electrical hookup was almost 45 feet away! To say the least, we have camped pushing 100 times and have never needed anything more than a 25' cord. We have a acquired a few 25' 30 AMP cords over the last few years and had an additional on board. Here is our question, is an extension cord any different than plugging two 25" cords together? We didn't want to risk it so we just changed sites but maybe next time we won't be so lucky!

I think I might need to clarify, I'm asking if there is any difference between an RV power cord and an RV extension cord. I'm not wondering if a regular extension cord from the hardware store would work. We have two RV power for that we bought from camping world, can I just plug those two together to get a 50 foot run?

Last edited:

bigdob24

I have done this sometimes when running the generators .
I have an extra cord just for that.
Just make sure the new cord is sized right to Handel the load.

danemayer

Here is our question, is an extension cord any different than plugging two 25" cords together?

Extension cords come in various wire sizes as well as various lengths. The thicker the conductor, the more suitable it is for a long run. The longer the total electrical run, the greater the voltage drop you'll experience at the trailer. And the extension cord could overheat. It's important to use a suitably sized cord, which you probably won't find at a local hardware store.

Extension cords come in various wire sizes as well as various lengths. The thicker the conductor, the more suitable it is for a long run. The longer the total electrical run, the greater the voltage drop you'll experience at the trailer. And the extension cord could overheat. It's important to use a suitably sized cord, which you probably won't find at a local hardware store.

Sorry, Im asking if there is any difference between a regular RV power cord and an RV extension cord. Not a regular extension cord from the hardware store.

danemayer

The only difference I can think of is that there might be a different plug at the end where you connect to the trailer - twist-lock? But I've never had a 30 amp RV cord, so I don't actually know if it's different from the plug on an extension cord.

Birchwood

The 30 amp RV extensions have 10/3 wire size so to power up your North Trail that uses a 30 amp power cord I can't see
there being a problem.If you are running washers and dryers,convection ovens or dishwasher you may have problems but
then you would have a 6/3 wire and 50 + amp cord .