6.7 powerstroke, what gear to pull in

Tweitekamp

Looking for some advise from guys that have a newer 6.7 powerstroke and 6 speed auto trans. I have a 32ft Sundance weighing about 10k loaded. What gear do you pull in? In my old 7.3 I just left it in od and went. This truck has 3.73 gears and only runs 1400 rpm's at 55 mph.

I am thinking of keeping it around the 2000rpm range for cooling reasons. I know I haven't pulled it yet, but wondering what people have experienced and what you normally do. I know you don't want it to hunt.

Input?

Todd

pegmikef

I use the tow mode and the speed control and it takes care of the gear which is normally 6th except for steep inclines. I run around 15 to 16k rpm (58 to 60 mph).

sandman

I tow a 3570 bighorn. exactly what they said i just put in tow haul and let the truck do the work. the 6.7 has so much more power than 7.3 it will amaze you. safe travels.

dbbls59

I tow in "D", which is usually 6th gear, and cruise control. When I get into the mountains I use "tow/haul". These things are towing beast.

Tweitekamp

Thanks guys, I'll do that.

My 7.3 was a nasty hauling beast. I honestly wanted to race my old truck and this one. I had a 100 dollar bet my old truck would whoop up on this truck. My trans in the old truck made a huge difference on getting power to the ground. A professionally built bulletproofed trans was worth the money. But I am looking forward to pulling with this new truck. Spent a pile of money on it so it better do a good job.

Thanks again...can't wait for it to warm up....Illinois winter has been brutal!

SeattleLion

X3. Just put it in tow/haul and the computer will take care of it. If you downshift on hills (going down, let the computer take you up), in tow/haul mode you get the compression braking as well. Cruise control is programmed to do all that for you in tow/haul. It will stop working if the downgrade is too steep...then you have to downshift yourself.

MCTalley

We had the same upgrade as you (2002 7.3 with BTS to a 2013 6.7). Our trailer is even heavier at 15.5k. I just put it in D, turn on tow/haul mode and let the truck sort it all out. I've been amazed at some of the rolling interstate grades that the truck will pull our fiver up still in 6th gear at 65 mph that used to have the 7.3 struggling to keep above 55 mph. I never used the cruise on the 7.3 since it couldn't always keep up (and tried too hard to), but have it set most all the time in the 6.7.

scottyb

I am towing very heavy with a fully loaded 4100. I use the cruise all the time but, i don't like the way it handles rolling hills. It tends to over compensate on the upgrade and slow it down too much on the downgrade. I have learned that if you anticipate the hill and depress the accelerator it will overide the cruise control, but not cancel it. It will prevent it from harsh downshifting and a racing engine. Then when you let up off the accelerator, the cruise control resumes control. I don't mind it downshifting to 5th but I do not like it when it shifts to 4th unless it is a really long steep hill like a mountain grade. I would prefer to let it scrub some speed instead, knowing that i will regain it on the downgrade. I also do not like it when it slows down all the momentum on the down grade, then instantly has to downshift to regain momentum on the upgrade. I like the cruise control but i also like having the control of the rpm's.

P.S. I forgot to mention, I definitely use Tow/Haul mode when pulling. I also use it when driving a curvy/hilly county road I drive almost every day. I like the downshift from pressing the brakes.

Last edited:

MTPockets

When on a long up or downgrade, I find kicking it off of cruise I can better maintain a steady truck and engine speed. Otherwise I use cruise, but always in haul mode when towing.

iawoody2

Exactly what everyone has said, use the tow/haul mode, that's what it's for. It senses the load and programs the tranny for the conditions, up and down. Just get out there and enjoy.

travlingman

I put it in "D", switch on tow/haul, set back and grin as iIgo down the road and let the computer decide what gear to use. Our rig is over 15K, no problems yet.

Wmnmy

like everyone said before D then tow/haul cruise on most time truck works like a champ ..

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
"D" with Tow Haul due to the down shifting routine. It seems to work well. My TH is just between 15k and 16k loaded. I have found that my 12' F350 is a bit gutless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD