$9.00 to prevent slide floor de-lamination

Wharton

They basically put on what I would guess is the kit the factory now supplies if you call parts. Just a piece of metal(right angle) along the bottom edges of the slides.

caissiel

I was checking this area on my BC and realized that the plywood is also breaking on the edges and flacking. The rear panel and trim peace on the main slide was not held in the plywood it was just screwed in the fiberglass. I removed it and caulked the panel in and screwed it in with large flat RV heads #6 screws. I had to remove the front strip to install it the rear so as the screw holes did not match. I later went to the other slides and the screws are all rusting in the wood, so moisture gets in there. The Kitchen Fridge slide had only the inside screw holding and the rest was completely rotten out and screws rusted out.

I will be fixing this for good this week so as moisture will not run in, the sealing was not even sticking to the panel so moisture was going in.

I have a different setup for the slide and there are no rollers, I feel the angle at the 2 rear slides will rub hard on the teflon strips. I might resource to apply a good hard paint on the plywood to keep it from getting moiture. The ends are capable to be sealed with caulking and once dry I install the trim at a lower level even with the bottom of the plywood to protect the sealent.

I found some 2 x 2 x 1/8 white aluminum on sale at HD and feel it will be to heavy, unless I cound maybe add more flat runners on the centers to even the load. I feel the the sheet stuff would not run good on the lifting strips and might catch the carpets.

Is there a Fix for the 2009 BC's

DXprowler

I called Heartland parts yesterday and they're sending me "Parkland kit" under warranty. I understand it has the right angle pieces for flashing. I'll post pics when done. I washed the trailer the other day and couldn't believe how much water beads on the plywood edge! There's actually one 4' area that's starting to swell! Very strange construction method but a big thank you to Heartland for stepping up to the plate!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Question? Does the slight downward bend on the trim catch on the carpet?

tmcran, if you look at THIS POST, you will see that if you bend the trim up to conform to the shape of the leading edge of the slide, you should have no problem with catching the carpet.
Look at pics #2 and #6 on post #10.

Peace
Dave

aatauses

Dxprowler---if you get the kit from Parkland you may also get flat pieces to go on the bottom to allow your slides to slide rather than the plywood (in addition to the angle pieces). I put both on mine and have learned a thing or two in the process and since they have been working. Give me an email and I can give you my learnings----bacially to put the flats on first, but not to the edge--leave enough room for the angle to butt up to the flat pieces.
al

jbeletti

Hi Jim Looks like i will have to see if factory will also fix slides , well the complete roof of mine gets replaced, i am slowly losing faith in my big horn product. saved all these yrs to buy a nice 5th wheel and getting all problems like this with only 3,600 miles on unit..and the worst part i sold three of my friends on buying big horns some what embarrassing for me. I have read on some posts where a trailer owner took his rv to factory for repairs , and found that trailer was not fixed at factory but by some rv shop (capital something) I sure hope after traveling 450 miles oneway that my rv gets fixed correctly..seems like an expense on my part to have to make these two trips to Indiana on a 2009 rv. Sorry Jim just needed to vent some Ed.(kinzu)

Kinzu,

Sorry that you are having these issues and the hassle that goes along with it to get them taken care of. I understand how you would lose confidence in the unit, but I am not losing confidence in the brand. Bighorn is an awesome product and the nearly all units built do not require a roof replacement. Sad for you? - yes, absolutely. Embarrassing for you with your friends, just because you are having trouble? I don't see why. That you are having these issues does not mean your 3 friends will have the same issues. Frustrating? For sure!

Here again, I'm sorry that it happened to you.

Jim

Wharton

We are finally picking up our BH 3670 today and will verify that this problem has been fixed unless someone else has. Priority is to load up the trailer, we want our garage back.................

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay, now how am I to tell if I will need to do this mod. I looked under the slide at the junction and there appears to be a piece aluminum the wraps around the edge of the slide floor about 1/2 inch. should I be all set or will I still need a mod. 3670rl. 2010 model.

Wharton

I asked my question on the Factory Forum, as we were confused as you. The factory hasn't replied yet but a fellow forum member has and he felt it was fixed on the model he looked at. Keep on eye on the factory forum, hopefully we will have a reply on Monday. Yours sound like mine so I am guessing it is fixed but would like "official" confirmation.

ralphpam

Our 2010 BH 3670, built in April 2009 had the slide fix from the factory. It does not have the plastic strips for the slide rollers however.

2010augusta

So some where between mid-November 2008 and April 2009 the fix was added at the factory, so if your trailer was built AFTER April you should not have to worry about the delamination issue.

Any one have a trailer built BEFORE April 2009 that came with the edge pieces in place from the factory?

DXprowler

My build date is Nov 2008 and it does not have the mod. Guess the coach just missed it but the parts are on the way!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I can't say with certainty, but until someone with a 2011 BC who knows what to look for, weighs in, I'll you that the LM/BH/BC are all built in the same plant on the same line and it's likely that a similar practice is used on each.

Jim

Not exactly sure I know what to look for but it seems our slides have the angle pieces everyone is talking about. Can't see any exposed plywood!

DSCN4964.jpg

DSCN4967.jpg