$9.00 to prevent slide floor de-lamination

DXprowier,
Did they charge you for the parts to fix your slide? They want to charge me and I think it is poor customer service to charge for a part that they found was necessary to address a problem they created.

DXprowler

DXprowier,
Did they charge you for the parts to fix your slide? They want to charge me and I think it is poor customer service to charge for a part that they found was necessary to address a problem they created.

duesouth.... I'm still under warranty so Heartland didn't charge me. I agree that issue is a serious design flaw and should be considered a recall and free of charge. If they do charge, I don't think it's very much, perhaps to cover postage, but it's something that should be done ASAP.

slide3.jpg slide4.jpg

circusbear

Here we go, I guess I am in the same boat. I contacted Heartland C.S. so hopefully I will hear soon..... Seems so sad that we pay a pretty penny for these units that are suppose to be so much better but just don't seem to be. Don't get me wrong I really love my Big Country but didn't have any of these problems with my last three SOB fivers. Hopefully Heartland will get back to me soon so I can repair the slides so I don't have to shell out more money to fix a trailer that is a 2010. Hey wait is this still 2010????????

DXprowler,
It is $33 for a 14foot section plus freight. They will cut them down to size to save on the extra freight charge for oversized shipping. I can get away with one section if every cut is perfect and no mistakes. I am just an average blue collar guy and I know the Sundance it not the high end but it is not the bottom end cheap rv either. They know there is a problem and fixed it on the new models. They should cover the old one too. I will be checking the local hardware store for a cheaper fix. If not I will have to bite the bullet. I also need to figure out what I am going to cover the exposed wood with before installing the angle.

circusbear

So I contacted Heartland this week and played phone-tag until the costumer service rep and myself finally found each other. I explained the situation and the research I had done on this forum. He agreed that there is a kit to solve this problem and was going to ship it to me after explaining how it should be installed to get the maximun out of the kit. As always, I am very pleased with Heartland's customer service but at the same time, dissapointed at the quality of the slides. I never had any sort of this problem with our previous two fivers and felt that Heartland built a superior product. Unfortunatley, this weelend I am going to have a diffrent type of look at our trailer to see where else we may experiance water penetration or damage.

RVFun4Us

Everyone please look under the Big Horn, Exterior section on an article titled "Installing Polyethylene Strips". This is one area that other Heartland owners have experienced trouble. I installed corner angle pieces on each slide, then installed the polyethylene strips right up to the edge of the angle pieces. Bought the angle pieces at HD in the roof flashing area. Think I spent around $10.00. Then purchased the polyethylene strips throught Heartland. Parkland is the manufacturer of these kits. Heartland charged me at their cost plus shipping. There seems to be many Heartland RVs with this very same problem. Would be nice if Heartland or Parkland would issue a recall before any more damage is done, especially with those owners who are not aware of this issue. If left alone, the water will continue to penetrate the slide bottom plywood and then the plywood will delaminate, creating a very costly repair and possible replacement of the slide bottom.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would second RVFun4Us's recommendation. Having read about this earlier, I also covered the outside edges of my slide floors (before any sign of damage). Cost me $12 because I went to an aluminum trim shop and had them "custom" bent. Also got three Parkland kits from Heartland and attached the strips to all four slides, including putting four strips on the large dining/living room slide. Those were not free, but mention you're a HOC member and get 10% off.

For those who might be concerned about not jacking the slides to install the strips, I didn't. Bringing the slides in and out does not appear to be affected by the thickness of the plastic strips. It's a simple job and doing both the trim and strips can be completed in an afternoon (with beer breaks).

Well let me tell you, I don't plan on buying another Heartland product again. Since I have owned the rig, 1 1/2 years, I had to reseal all the outside since joints everywhere had separations in the seals, fix multiple leaks due to loose water lines, leaky waste valves, and now poor design of a slide out. A problem they know of that cost me $126.00 for my slides. I was told the kit would have a 1"x2" aluminum angle but received a 1/2"x 1" vinyl angle. It has already chipped 3" from the edge, what is 1" of vinyl going to do? I am so fed up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well let me tell you, I don't plan on buying another Heartland product again. Since I have owned the rig, 1 1/2 years, I had to reseal all the outside since joints everywhere had separations in the seals, fix multiple leaks due to loose water lines, leaky waste valves, and now poor design of a slide out. A problem they know of that cost me $126.00 for my slides. I was told the kit would have a 1"x2" aluminum angle but received a 1/2"x 1" vinyl angle. It has already chipped 3" from the edge, what is 1" of vinyl going to do? I am so fed up.

Sorry you feel that way. Guess you will never have problems with any other brands as all of the others are perfect.

JJnLilly

We have a 2011 Greystone 32RL and the 'fix' seemed to have been made to the two big slides, however the bedroom slide has not been. Anyone have problems with the bedroom slides?

scotty

We have a 2011 Greystone 32RL and the 'fix' seemed to have been made to the two big slides, however the bedroom slide has not been. Anyone have problems with the bedroom slides?

I had problems with all three slides wicking along the edges. I did not have an delamination along the bottom surface of the slides. However, I did what several people did and used the roof flashing from HD.

JohnDar

The bedroom slide on my BH already had an aluminum cap on the edges, but I had grooving in the floor where it contacted the rollers. So I installed the plastic strips over those areas.

wyleyrabbit

Sonwhat is the part number of the kit to order from Heartland? I tried a while back, and they sent me a tube of black goop...not the right stuff.

JohnDar

When I ordered my kits, I specified that I wanted the Parkland Plastics slide repair kit that included the plastic strips for the bottom of the slide. Didn't seem to be a problem identifying what I wanted, and they came with the strips and the adhesive. Unfortunately, I tossed the shipper after I used the kits.

Sorry you feel that way. Guess you will never have problems with any other brands as all of the others are perfect.

Jmgrtaz, I guess everything you ever purchased has been perfect. You never had a bad customer service issue or vented because of one. I don't post to get smart alec responses. Try understanding walking in someone elses shoes before providing such intellectual responses. Then again, its just the internet and you don't know me so post what you want right? All that matters is you and yours.

tkdmike

Okay, I've been reading and researching on the forum and have a couple of questions/issues. After a long dry spell we had 4 inches of rain. I discovered a large wet spot on the carpet at the rear of the coach around the LR/DR slide-out. I inspected seals and cannot find any place water is coming through or around seals. I don't have the Parkland kit or fix for the floors on the trailer yet - though I am ordering today. At the front of the main slide-out I have some delamination and some soft plywood. I am currently drying that out and ordering the Parkland floor repair kit in addition to the "fix" for the exposed edges. There does not appear to be delamination anywhere else, though the edges are exposed. There is water seepage btw the plywood and the very thin laminate covering the bottom of the slide out floor.

Can this condition be the cause for the wet carpet at the back of the slide-out? If not, any suggestions. I cannot see where water is coming in and its only at this one location.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

JohnDar

Unless you've got some major wicking going on, the problem with the slide floors should not get the rear of the trailer wet inside. If your slide seals back there are OK, check the caulking around the rear cap and around the windows. That's been a point of water entry for some folks.

tkdmike

Thanks John,
I'll check but the walls were dry and only place that was wet was the floor around where the slide out and the rear wall come together. I checked seals but couldn't find any water coming through. I will check the caulking around the rear window - the cap is okay, I already looked.

The wet spot was carpet only and ran was really wet under the carpet flap where the slide floor carpeting overlaps the trailer floor carpeting. The wettest spot was closest to the edges of the slide and the wall. Never had any water issues there before so not sure what's up. I did contact Heartland and sent photos of the floor issues under the slide-outs, will see what happens. Thanks again for your response.