$9.00 to prevent slide floor de-lamination

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just for the fun of it, Mike, try putting a spirit level in the slide, near the back wall. It might be that it's got a slight angle and the 4" downpour you experienced was heavy enough for it to run along the bottom edge of the slide and find a way in. Was the rain coming in the direction of the outside wall of that slide?

JJnLilly

Just noticed that on our Greystone 32RL the two livingroom slides have an edge, but the bedroom does not - the black wrap is exposed - and wondering if I should add the stripes.

JohnDar

Just noticed that on our Greystone 32RL the two livingroom slides have an edge, but the bedroom does not - the black wrap is exposed - and wondering if I should add the stripes.

There are two separate "fixes" we've been discussing. The major one is to add an aluminum trim cap to cover the exposed edges of the plywood floors under the slides to keep water off. Water absorption by the exposed edge of the plywood is causing swelling and delamination. To help protect the bottom surface of the slide floor from damage by the rollers, the plastic strips are being added. If the surface has started to exhibit flaking of the black coating, but not serious delamination, adding the plastic strips is probably helpful.

What black "wrap" are you referring to? I recall seeing some SOB's at the last RV show in my area that had a black plastic material covering the bottom of the slides, but I don't remember seeing it on a HL Greystone (not remembering does not mean it wasn't there, though). The slide floors we've been discussing look like heavily painted plywood, such that you can see the edges of the individual plies if they're exposed enough.

I bought the roof edging today, but I'm a little confused as to how to put it on. After removing the screws from the trim, does the edging go between the edging and the trailer wall? The edging is wider than the trim. I'm thinking the edging goes inside the wall. I hope I'm making sense. I do need to do something because ours has some flaking in the corner. Also, there is a hose (I think it's some sort of electrical wiring) at the very edge of the bottom that has no caulking around it. I suppose I need to caulk that and would need to trim the edging around the hose.

JohnDar

I bought the roof edging today, but I'm a little confused as to how to put it on. After removing the screws from the trim, does the edging go between the edging and the trailer wall? The edging is wider than the trim. I'm thinking the edging goes inside the wall. I hope I'm making sense. I do need to do something because ours has some flaking in the corner. Also, there is a hose (I think it's some sort of electrical wiring) at the very edge of the bottom that has no caulking around it. I suppose I need to caulk that and would need to trim the edging around the hose.

I'm not sure on the dimensions of the trim you purchased, but normally, it just goes under the existing trim piece and not shoved behind the wall board. If you bought roof edge drip cap, where one leg is about 4" and the shorter one about an inch, then you got the wrong material. What you need looks like a simple piece of angle aluminum. The trim I had made up was an
1 1/4" on each side. That covered the bottom and fit under the original trim with no problem.

I also had some wiring, in a plastic conduit, near the edge, but the hole had been sealed with expanding foam. Trim the aluminum to fit around it. Also apply a bead of caulk on the inside faces of the trim cap before attaching it.

Tiggerdad

I will do my main slide with your instructions. I had a small section rot out. I cleaned down to good wood and used Bondo. So far, after a year there has been no more rot.

After reading this fourm then crawing under our BH . I see that I need to do the parkland plastic fix and the side trim on 2 of my slides. (glad I caught this eary Thanks every one) .Looking around in Home Depot at the roofing trim it is very thin. And wondered if it would get balled up sliding over the teflon edge. Has any one used the 1-1/4 X 1-1/4 x 1/16 thick alum. angle sold in there also? It beeing a little beefer just wondering if it would last longer ?

Thanks in advance

Danny
2009 3055rl bh
2007 Duramax CC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Danny, welcome to the forum. As you have already found out, there is a lot of good information on this forum.
I kinda agree with you on the lightweight aluminum trim, although I have no experience with it.
I used a trim that is common to RV's.
If you look at post #24 in this thread, there is a link to my mod.
Hope this helps some.

Peace
Dave

Wharton

I was under the impression this had been fixed by Heartland years ago, have they stopped putting on the "fix"?

rick_debbie_gallant

I was under the impression this had been fixed by Heartland years ago, have they stopped putting on the "fix"?

The "fix" is in. However the OP is over two years old as is the fix. But then they could have went "retro" on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

If I recall correctly, HL started applying the edge trim sometime in the 2010 model year. My 2009 did not have it, but I got ahead of it thanks to 2010Augusta's info.

I used trim made from aluminum trim coil stock. No problem with it getting bent up when moving the slides. With the slides extended, I ran it right up to the glide under the main and entertainment slides. The kitchen slide rides on rollers, so there is no contact problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our 2010 ElkRidge had it on the 3 slides, but not the 4th (bedroom). Going to ask Factory to check it and apply fix when we are in Elkhart this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

On our Bighorn, the bedroom slide came with heavy gauge white aluminum edge protection already installed.

Needing some good advise,, and this is where to get it!!</SPAN>
I ordered some 1.25x 1.25 x 1/16 thick aluminum angle to install on the bottom edges of the slides on my 09 Big Horn. My question is should I butt a Parkland plastic fix up against the aluminum angle to take some of the stress and drag off the angle where it slides over the telfon side. Did think of trimming the top edge of the telfon slide just where the angle would run . The angle covers all the bad wood on the 4 edges but one. On it, there is a little faking past the edge of the angle . If I cant`get the “fix” to over this maybe some good epoxy paint. </SPAN>

Also can some one tell me where to get the Parkland fix kit? I asked the parts man at a Heart Land dealer is Bossier, LA and he did not know what I was talking about. Kind of thought I was crazy …</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks in advance </SPAN></SPAN>
Danny</SPAN></SPAN>
09 BH 3055LR</SPAN></SPAN>
07 2500 CC D/A</SPAN></SPAN>

Chas46

I discovered that I have de-lamination on all the edges of my 2 slides. One edge has a lot of damage. It is warped and rotted to about a foot in. I'm going to have to replace the floor in that slide at my own expense. I can't believe Heartland won't take responsibility for this since it is a design flaw on their part. The fact that they now have a fix for the problem is to me an admission of guilt. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chas,

After digging around yesterday on mine, It`s worst than I thought . Have you got a price yet on what floor replacement would cost for a slide ?

Danny