A/C wiring configuration

PondSkum

So our rearmost AC is apparently shot. Compressor is running but not cooling so my research determined that the gas has leaked out. My front and middle units are working, but the wiring is on a switch that will not allow the front and middle unit to operate at the same time. I know people are running all 3 at once on 50A. I don't need to operate all 3 right now, just the front and center. How can I rig it up to make those two work together? Have a trip next weekend and it hot as heck already here in TX. Won't have time to have unit replaced before then. Please hopefully someone can help us!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
There should be no problem running those 2 AC's if you're on 50A service. Trying to run both on the generator will sorta kinda a little bit work but you are really on the edge for current draw on one leg. You're asking for problems if both compressors try to start at the same time.
Not the best of work-arounds but if you had to you could recruit a helper and swap the middle and rear units. In less time you could just drop the new unit in place.

danemayer

The simplest solution is to re-route the wires from circuit breakers to switch. I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have 1 A/C that gets power directly from a dedicated circuit breaker. The other A/C circuit breaker powers the switch, where one or the other of the 2 remaining units can be selected.

So I would think the broken unit is the one that gets power directly from its dedicated breaker. You want to move the wires, or splice an extension, so that one unit currently getting power from the switch, instead gets power from the circuit breaker.

PondSkum

The simplest solution is to re-route the wires from circuit breakers to switch. I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have 1 A/C that gets power directly from a dedicated circuit breaker. The other A/C circuit breaker powers the switch, where one or the other of the 2 remaining units can be selected.

So I would think the broken unit is the one that gets power directly from its dedicated breaker. You want to move the wires, or splice an extension, so that one unit currently getting power from the switch, instead gets power from the circuit breaker.

This reply is 100% accurate. After digging into the switch, we determined what you said is true. Both the front and middle unit are wired to the switch, which is fed from one breaker, and the rear unit is direct to another breaker. We removed the switch, and wired the front unit to hot wires that were in the switch box, and ran another romex from the rear unit's breaker to the middle unit's wires inside the box. So we have temporarily bypassed the rear unit completely.

Now, I've read lots of posts about being able to run all 3 units at the same time. But the way it is wired, that is not possible at all. We attempted at first to just connect all the wires in the box together and see if that would work (as many have stated it does). The 2 units ran for only about 3 mins before tripping the 20A breaker that they were attached to. Also, after looking at the wire gauge, that's probably not a smart idea either. All 3 units need their own breaker. We attempted to connect one to a 15A breaker that controls the fireplace (since it's June in TX won't be needing the fireplace for a minute). The unit ran for a while, but eventually overloaded the 15A as well. Any ideas on how to run all 3 together? My only thought is to replace the 15A with a 20A, but then I'd have to put the 15A back when winter comes and we want to use the fireplace again, so I don't overload wiring to the fireplace using an oversized breaker.

danemayer

On some rigs, the bedroom A/C unit is 13,500 BTU instead of 15,000 and can run on 15 amps. You might check yours to see what you have.

PondSkum

They are all 3 15k units. And the bedroom unit happens to be the one we tried to run off the 15A breaker.

Thanks for your input!