Accident near Ocala, FL on 2/16

wdk450

We are all amateurs speculating here as to what did happen structurally and what might have happened so I am going to throw in my 2 cents of speculation about the rig remaining hitched together. I would think with the 4 wheel essentially forward guidance of the truck (even though it had suffered and effective Pitt maneuver like the cops use to stop fleeing suspects) would have kept the trailer going pretty much near straight forward following the truck and upright. Getting detached from the hitch, the trailer steering is wildly erratic, swerving around with the trailer finally ending on its side.

As far as the Butchs Services trailer pin catcher bar goes, I think that the way it is designed, and the post-and-cap design of the hitch pin, if the trailer was tipping by itself, most likely the trailer would become detached from the hitch saver bar, saving the truck from tipping over. Check these 3 pics taken from an internet search - first a 5th wheel hitch with the Butchs hitch saver bar installed, 2nd a pinbox pin, and third a hitch saver bar catching a detached 5th wheel hitch (sorry the 3rd photo is a little hard to see the details of the pin sitting against the bar).

Butchs services bar 1.jpg 5th wheel hitch pin.jpg Butchs services hitch 2.jpg

I think the Butchs Services hitchsaver is designed for the most frequent 5th wheel hitch disconnect situation - Initially starting forward after hitching up, and finding that the hitch jaws were not locked. This a slow speed incident where the bar and pin design are sufficient to keep the trailer from dropping on your truck bed and tailgate. With a high speed disconnect it is dicey if the trailer will stay connected before you get to a safe stop. But for $69.95 with free shipping and needed drillbits and transfer punch tools, this is cheap insurance.

caissiel

If the trailer was tipping maybe the pin or hitch had to give because the truck is build stronger.
I repaired the hitch frame on our trailer and the truck is way better build and stronger then the trailer frame. I observed that the truck axle came right off. An other disadvantage of having wheels extending past the box sides with a plastic fender to deflect the obstruction ( like a car) how heavy was the car or did the run away trailer hit the back of the truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm wondering if maybe when the car hit the truck it may have hit the locking handle of the hitch and opened the jaws . . .

SailorDon

Maybe 5th wheel travel trailers should be required to have safety chains to the tow vehicle frame (similar to safety chains for ball hitch trailers).

MTPockets

Just spoke to the owner, the pin and plate was sheared off the pin box, causing everything to disconnect from the truck. The car abruptly slammed into the driver side at the dual rear wheel, the truck then was slightly jackknifed and hit some of those concrete highway construction barriers on the rear wheel area passenger side. At that moment, the trailer was already starting to roll towards the driver side, then continued until it landed on its side in the same lane they had been traveling next to that concrete barrier. All that abrupt motion right then left just snapped that pin and plate. If you look again at the photo, most of the truck damage is at the rear where the car hit, then on the other side where it hit the wall. It also ripped the truck rear axle off and pushed it towards the rear bumper...

MCTalley

From the description of the pin and plate breaking loose, it sounds like it might have had a MorRyde pinbox. It was a factory option on Big Country models (our current BC has one).

MTPockets

Just spoke to the owner, the pin and plate was sheared off the pin box, causing everything to disconnect from the truck. The car abruptly slammed into the driver side at the dual rear wheel, the truck then was slightly jackknifed and hit some of those concrete highway construction barriers on the rear wheel area passenger side. At that moment, the trailer was already starting to roll towards the driver side, then continued until it landed on its side in the same lane they had been traveling next to that concrete barrier. All that abrupt motion right then left just snapped that pin and plate. If you look again at the photo, most of the truck damage is at the rear where the car hit, then on the other side where it hit the wall. It also ripped the truck rear axle off and pushed it towards the rear bumper...
Clarification & Correction... I called him again and find I misunderstood a bit what he said. The pin box did not come apart. It was the pin that pulled the hitch plate apart. He doesn't know the brands but here is a pic of the hitch with the top plate gone..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 95

Bones

Clarification & Correction... I called him again and find I misunderstood a bit what he said. The pin box did not come apart. It was the pin that pulled the hitch plate apart. He doesn't know the brands but here is a pic of the hitch with the top plate gone..
All I have to say is that his rear axle was ripped out, his truck bent in half and the fifth wheel head ripped away from its mounting. That takes a lot of twisting and force. Glad they are OK and hope the other car is paying for the damage

Geodude

Wow, glad to hear everyone is ok. We drove what I think is that same stretch a couple of days ago and a car passed us and drifted a couple of feet into our lane when he/she was about even with our truck. Horrible feeling, with really nowhere to go in between those cement barriers in that stretch. Bit of shift to the right, bit of slow down and a bit of horn.