Air Compressors

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,
How will this Sears unit work for filling my float tube when I want to stop and fish?

If it's one of them there sit in tubes, it might be OK but a foot pump would do better. If you "need" a compressor for tires it's a great little unit and it's likely to do the job for a tube. If you only need it for the fishin tube, I'd go with a foot pump for less $$$.

Fishingicon

Air Comp.

After checking 5 different outlets here in Colorado Springs I just ordered the Sears 2 gal version Ray recommends above = best deal for the dollar that I could find.

truknutt

Committed Member
I bet ol' Ray wishes he had gotten a commission from each of these sales?!

Yes, I also purchased one of these gems while it was still on sale; after I had already purchased the CP model in Forrest's posting (#5) from Harbor Freight! :mad:

DW said "Take it back." .."NOT, I can still use it around the garage." :D

snuffy

I've had the Sears model for a couple of years now and have been well satisfied with it.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi waccajs, Yoday 4/ 14/ 08 just bought a Sears 1Hp 3lb tank compressor with 14 piece atachments on sale $89.00 plus tax TRAVELER07

Tom Cobb

Let me throw a monkey wrench in all this.

What do you do for air when you don't have a 120 volt source? I am assuming all of you guys with the new Sears compressors have generators.

I am looking for a 12 Volt compressor that will push out at least 125 psi to air up my 5th Airborne strut and the truck and trailer tires to 80 psi. I don't want some inflator but a 12 volt compressor with a small tank.

Any thoughts on this as to what is a good reasonably priced setup or one that I can built in to a compressor/tank setup?

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hello Tom, Mabe you could use a 12 volt air pump like (Air Lift) that mount under the trucks frame rails, and are used to air up air bags and install air hose quick release fitting to air up your tires TRAVELER07

Tom Cobb

That type of pump is one of the options but the one's I have seen so far don't seem to have the psi I need. I will check some others like that. Thanks.

Tom Cobb

That is one that I am considering. I would like to find a 1 gal or so air tank and rig it up with a shutoff switch and relief valve. There is a harbor freight a couple of miles from me so I am going to see if they have a tank as well.

Thanks.

jpmorgan37

I use a Craftsman air compressor. I have a Honda 2000 generator, but most of the time I just plug it in to my inverter. I have a 2000 watt inverter and it runs the compressor to handle most jobs without having to dig out the generator. I tried several 12 volt compressors, but didn't have the patience to wait for them. Just my thoughts.

John

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have the Porter-Cable 150 lb PSI model Forrest recommended that works great if you have a long extension chord to plug it in to an electrical outlet but worthless if you don't have a generator like me and no nearby outlet. Also pretty heavy. It's for sale if anyone is interested. Need something smaller and possibly battery powered.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have been looking at the Craftsman,3 gallon tank that will pump to 125 lbs. Lightweight and compact. Got some birthday money this so I made a trip to Sears. I have not tried it yet,but I will, and if it doesn't work like I want it to I will take it back. I know it will probably not pump up to 110 lbs,which is what my Goodyears call for ,on the tank alone but I think it will plugged in. But like I said if it won't back to sears it will go.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have been looking at the Craftsman,3 gallon tank that will pump to 125 lbs. Lightweight and compact. Got some birthday money this so I made a trip to Sears. I have not tried it yet,but I will, and if it doesn't work like I want it to I will take it back. I know it will probably not pump up to 110 lbs,which is what my Goodyears call for ,on the tank alone but I think it will plugged in. But like I said if it won't back to sears it will go.
Terry, our Sears unit seems to work better if you relieve the tank of just enough air to get the compressor started, then start adding air to the tire. For whatever reason this seems to speed up the process.

SmokeyBare

I came across this Dewalt portable air compressor. It really looks promising for RVers... it weighs 29 pounds... its size is 19" long X 14.5" wide X 9" high...

Heavy-Duty 1 Gallon, 135 PSI Max, Trim Compressor - D55140

Here is DeWalt's link:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15513

Some links I found using Google... the price was running $160.00 and some offered free shipping. This small air compressor would do well for topping off tire pressure... blowing out the water lines for those who winterize... and are being sold as one to operate trim nailer/stapler.

Marv

Uncle Rog

Larry, "X" rookie, I like that a lot! Stay away from the 12volt compressors. I have a harbor freight model, and unless somebody has improved the technology it is best used to hold down our table cloth, unless the wind blows too hard! Get out there and buy a 2000 watt generator, they are light and will run a moderate sized compressor.
If nothing else you can say you have one!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Terry, our Sears unit seems to work better if you relieve the tank of just enough air to get the compressor started, then start adding air to the tire. For whatever reason this seems to speed up the process.
Thanks Ray I will remember that.

Tom Cobb

Some good info. Thanks a lot. The idea of using an inverter to power the compressor sounds intriguing short of buying a generator which I would also like to do.

jbeletti

Another option for some is to add a decent 12 volt compressor and tank to your truck.

I have the Viair 450C on my truck (retail was about $400 for the kit). I have the compressor and tank bolted inside the frame rail of my truck with a quick coupling in the passenger side front tool box. I carry 50 feet of rubber air hose and a lot of fittings/adapters. I used it to help winterize my coach the other day too.

These larger Viair compressors are pretty beefy. Coupled with a decent air tank and it works out pretty well. I am happy to have it and no longer carry a portable air compressor. Also happy to have my Husky portable at home in the garage when needed for the cars.

Jim

10007.jpg