Air Compressors

Tom Cobb

I like that but that is a little pricey to me. I have a Husky dual tank 4 gal. that draws 14 amp. I am considering buying a 2500 watt inverter and go that way.

Another option is to spend that $400 and buy a generator. I found some new generators on craigslist for $450, 3800 watt. Some others for under $1000. I could use one and that may be the smart way to go. That would be plenty of power for the compressor and for the trailer using minimal gadgets.

You guys have given me some good options and I appreciate the input.

Uncle Rog

OK I stand corrected on the 12v system after seeing Jim's set up. The system is pricey but looks light and easy to use.........................

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I like that but that is a little pricey to me. I have a Husky dual tank 4 gal. that draws 14 amp. I am considering buying a 2500 watt inverter and go that way.

Another option is to spend that $400 and buy a generator. I found some new generators on craigslist for $450, 3800 watt. Some others for under $1000. I could use one and that may be the smart way to go. That would be plenty of power for the compressor and for the trailer using minimal gadgets.

You guys have given me some good options and I appreciate the input.
Changing the subject just a little. I know what an inverter does but what do I look for when buying one?A 2500 watt and what else should I look for?

boatdoc

When buying an inverter make sure that it will run your air compreesor. My 2500 watt MSW won't start the Sears model that many of us have. I always have my little genny anyway and it powers it just fine.

Tom Cobb

Check the amp load you want to run. The formulas for calculating the watts you need for the amp load is at the link below. My advice is to get more inverter than you calculate will support your load. Remember that when you start looking at inverters to check how much drain there will be on your battery or batteries. You would have to consider only using the unit when the truck is connected and providing battery charging and also not to run the compressor or other load any longer than absolutely necessary.

http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ok gang, since Forrest got me to buy the Porter-Cable model that needs to be plugged in, would I get an inverter and what load would it be, including all the electrical equipment we have, especially a sleep apnea machine so that I wouldn't have that problem of plugging in the air compressor before use? Doesn't do me much good where the rig is in a storage yard and we want to check the tire pressures and adjust them before heading out on a trip. Any suggestions on how to make this work. At campground we have electrical outlets so no problem.

And Unc Roger the reason I put in the X-rookie was because Lefty the Great thinks i deserve no mercy for my ignorance and claims of innocence as a newcomer to this RV lifestyle. After 8 months he may be right. The lack of mechanical and electrical know-how makes this maintainance stuff a real drag and heavy learning curve. Only the help of all you good buddies is keeping my head above water. I am still trying to figure out the difference between all these different tools which I don't have the faintest clue of their functions.

jbeletti

Hi Larry,

Welcome to school :)

The size inverter (rated in watts) is a function of what all you want to power "at the same time". "Most" electrical equipment has a plate or stamp on it (back or bottom) that has the max current draw in "amps".

Ohm's law is used to convert amps to watts. That law is amps x voltage = wattage. My guess is that your compressor is in the trailer in storage so no access to it for reading the plate. But if you know the model number, we can look it up. But let's run through an example of how you would determine what size inverter you'd need for a compressor that had a 10 amp max current draw rating. 10 amps x 110 volts AC = 1110 watts of power needed at max current.

So if you wanted to run only the compressor or anything that draws less than 10 amps or 10 amps in aggregate, you'd want a compressor that is rated for "at least" 1200 watts continuous. The word "continuous is key. Most ratings on the outside of the box of an inverter are the "surge" watts that it can deliver for a short period.

Would you ever need to run your compressor at the same time you are running other items in your RV? My guess is no. And in fact, to keep the battery bank you will need to feed the inverter, I'd suggest you do not use the compressor when you are powering other items. This way, the compressor load does not need to be added to the "other items" load when sizing the right inverter and battery bank.

I have mentioned battery bank a couple of times. Inverters invert DC (direct current) power from batteries to AC (alternating current) for use by AC items (like your compressor, TV, apnea machine etc.). How many batteries you need is a function of how much "run-time" you need for your AC powered items. More time requires more batteries.

Then with batteries, you need to put the power back into them (recharge). Some RV inverters have built-in charge circuits and when plugged back into shore power, can recharge the batteries. Other non-RV inverters like a 1000 watt model I bought cheap at Costco, do not have charge circuits in them. I bought this to use in my truck with the truck running. If I were to use this in the RV and draw power from the existing RV batteries to power the inverter, once connected to shore power, the "converter" in the RV will recharge the RV battery(ies).

Some people who use inverters in their RV, recharge them with solar panels and a charge controller.

So many options, so many things to think about. Have you considered a 3,000 watt generator for the back of the truck? You could get one of those cranes from Harbor Freight like Forest has and use it to load your genny and install/remove your hitch when needed. With a gen of that size, you could power the whole coach and 1 air conditioner. Something to think about.

Jim

sasha_j

My 19.5" tires need 100 psi when I am loaded and 65 psi when unloaded, so I am always airing up and down, usually in remote areas. The Powertank CO2 system http://www.powertank.com/category.rv is the best option for me. No power needed. I use a 20lb CO2 tank and refill it every 6-10 months for $25.

I go from 65 psi to 100 psi in about 2 minutes. Highly recommended.

sasha_j

Chuck, my understanding with CO2 is you can get many, many more fills out of an equivilent size container than you could with air. Not sure about N2, but but I would guess the refills of CO2 are much less $$.

CO2 is more compressable and lower cost would be the reason.

jbeletti

From the Powertank website FAQs:

Q: “Why CO2 instead of Nitrogen?”
A: "Volume". CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you’ll have the power when you need it all in one small tank.

HOSS

Has anyone used or know anything about the Huskey Air Scout model 41214? Home Depot has these on sale right now for $99.00, at 135psi I am thinking about one of these for the BH and around the stick house. Any thoughts on this one or if you have one and used it, let me know how you like it (or not).

HOSS

HappyKayakers

Has anyone used or know anything about the Huskey Air Scout model 41214? Home Depot has these on sale right now for $99.00, at 135psi I am thinking about one of these for the BH and around the stick house. Any thoughts on this one or if you have one and used it, let me know how you like it (or not).

HOSS

A fellow workamper in Texas had one of those and swore by it (not at it). I've always been gunshy of the 110 v models since I don't carry a generator. But since this model also lists amp draw, maybe I can find a bigger inverter and use it off the truck batteries if I'm stuck on the side of the road.

svd

Sears Compressor on Sale

Just wanted to let everyone know that Sears has their 3 gallon air compressor on sale for $89. Normal price is $139, normal sale price is $99. I have never seen it this low. I have one and am pleased.

aatauses

Reading this information has been helpful to me about purchasing a compressor. Really like the specs on the Dewalt D55140, size, weight, etc. Does anyone have the D55140? and how is it working? Will it pump up the G tires to the 110psi.
thanks
aatauses

sundancekid

Puma makes a 1 gallon 135 psi 12 volt pump that works great. enough cfm to run my small imoact in sourts air up tires springs and best of all mounted in my from compartment and tied into battery. I just love the little thing!