All New LM365 Newport

porthole

Retired
I just might take you up on that challenge. Let me see what I can do about spending all show season towing and living in a Landmark365. Maybe I can also do a blog about my product, my journey and my experiences on the road.

Lots of people pull with a single axle truck - a dual axle isn't required IMHP

Let us know after your towing for a season :rolleyes:

The 2015 Fords, that have the highest tow ratings ever, max out under the GVW of the 365.

Regular cab, 2WD F-250 (250 is 100 pounds more capacity then the 350):

5th wheel - 16,600 pounds - 23,500 GCWR

T

TomMontague

Well maybe I'm wrong but I see it every day - I know - doesn't make it right but it happens. Some people tow it down the street - some people tow all over North America - I think that plays an important role - remember I see EVERY sale we make.

I also know that a majority of coaches coming back to the factory for service are over loaded. It was the same way at Redwood and the same way at Carriage when I worked there. When a coach comes back for service at the factory the first thing we do is weigh it.

The nice thing we do at LM365 is include a lot of key features in our "standard" build. Others don't - so you see a brochure weight that is significantly lower than ours - it's misleading because if you optioned both coaches the same the weight would be very similar.

Example - Redwood brochure weight for a front bath floor plan might be listed at 14,200 - misleading because that's a standard built coach. A standard built coach has one A/C, 8 cu ft rv refer, queen bed, no ceiling fan, no fireplace, no gen prep, 16" g range tires on 7k axles and the main tv only.

That looks great on paper but isn't close to being right - this is the same for almost all of my competition.

LM365 includes 2 A/C's, 17 1/2" H range tires on 8k axles, main and bedroom tv, residential refer, gen prep, ceiling fan.

Dual pane windows which add significant weight isn't included on most weights. LM365 shows the weight in our brochures of a typically built coach. Almost everything we make has dual pane windows.

When you add all the options to a Redwood for example to make it equivalent to a LM365 the dry weights are almost the same and their GVWR IS 16,500. This gives them significantly less carrying capacity than LM365 at 17,500 GVWR.

HAVE A GREAT DAY - thanks for the conversation - I love hearing about everyone's experiences and preferences. It helps me learn and hopefully develop better product.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TomMontague

Two answers - sorry if you thought I was bashing a sister brand. That was not what inwas talking about. Redwood was the brand I was referring to.

As as for the clear - we are actually doing 3 coats of clear at this point.

Rcnewell11

Thanks Tom on the answer on clear coat.have u used 3 coats for a while on your coaches .do u know if my unit is coming off of paint yet for the ashland,just trying to figure out schedule for reservations in January.thanks rob

bob34787

So Tom when you use the redwood example to illustrate misleading weight stickers does it also apply to pre LM365 Landmarks? Or is my 2013 Landmarks weight sticker accurate even though I have 2nd A/C , dual Pane windows, gen. prep. outside entertainment center , 2nd awning, etc...

branson4020

Icantre Member
So Tom when you use the redwood example to illustrate misleading weight stickers does it also apply to pre LM365 Landmarks? Or is my 2013 Landmarks weight sticker accurate even though I have 2nd A/C , dual Pane windows, gen. prep. outside entertainment center , 2nd awning, etc...

Don't confuse brochure weight (which is what Tom was talking about) with the weight sticker. The weight sticker on the coach (any brand coach) is accurate and reflects the actual weight of the rig when it left the factory.

T

TomMontague

Don't confuse brochure weight (which is what Tom was talking about) with the weight sticker. The weight sticker on the coach (any brand coach) is accurate and reflects the actual weight of the rig when it left the factory.

CORRECT - thanks Bob & Joyce for helping me out.

Sundown08

Hi Tom:

My Wife and I just put a deposit on a 2015 Landmark Newport. We are very excited about our future new home! We are fulltimers and yes I am baby boomer who is still working and will be for the next few years. We live in a beautiful park and are replacing our current Class A RV with the Newport. I do a lot of work from home on the computer. We currently have a phone line/DSL with WIFI in our RV. There is a phone line at our site. When I looked for a phone plug for our Newport I could not find one. I was told that the Landmark Newport does not have an incoming phone jack. Is this correct? Is there some other way to get a phone line into the unit? I was really surprised when I was told that the "Full-time" Landmark Newport does not have a phone jack. Any clarification would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve (Future Newport Owner)

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

T

TomMontague

I'm looking into this. I also in Tampa this week. Let me see what engineering says and I will get back to you. Great question. Talk soon.

Tom

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Adding a phone line into any RV is very easy. As long as you have the tools to crimp the connections and the skills needed for a little modification. Add a jack plate like this one in the UDC

31S1VTz3rXL.jpg

Then run line to a surface mounted jack like this one

31ANQrUvc+L._SL500_SS100_.jpg
With a few tools that can be purchased at a big box store and some cable, it can be done with very little knowledge.

Sundown08

Hi Michael and Kelly:

Thank you so much for the reply. I am hoping there is phone line already installed on the Newport. If not I will have to run a line. Don't really want to have to pull off the covering on the bottom of the trailer to run the line. Waiting for response from Tom. If I need to run a line I am hoping the factory can advise the best way to route the cable.

Thanks,

Steve

Adding a phone line into any RV is very easy. As long as you have the tools to crimp the connections and the skills needed for a little modification. Add a jack plate like this one in the UDC

View attachment 33990

Then run line to a surface mounted jack like this one

View attachment 33989
With a few tools that can be purchased at a big box store and some cable, it can be done with very little knowledge.

theharveys

Tom,
My wife and I used to own a Landmark Augusta and we loved the trailer. For many reasons, we ended up buying a Carriage Carri-Lite in 2010. We recently looked at a Heartland LM Newport and, while we loved the floorplan and many of the features, I was very disappointed with it's weight carrying capacity. Optioned the way we would like, we could only put about 2000 lbs of our stuff into it. (We can put about 4000lb in our Carri-Lite). 2000lbs is right at the very minimum for anyone considering fulltimimg in the rig. It would be great if a third axle (or a "beefed up" frame) could be added to increase the carrying capacity. Until then, the LM is off our radar.

Wow this comes as a surprise to me too. Especially if we put the 3rd ac on it and the 300 pound generator and a stackable washer and dryer what will i be left with a 1400 capacity this to me would be unacceptable for a coach of this price point.....

Alan_B

...We recently looked at a Heartland LM Newport and, while we loved the floorplan and many of the features, I was very disappointed with it's weight carrying capacity. Optioned the way we would like, we could only put about 2,000 lbs of our stuff into it... 2,000lbs is right at the very minimum for anyone considering fulltiming in the rig. It would be great if a third axle (or a "beefed up" frame) could be added to increase the carrying capacity. Until then, the LM is off our radar.

Yes, I am in the same place. We love the floorplan and the overall feel of the unit. However the carrying capacity could be a deal breaker.

The Landmark website lists the Newport GVWR as 17,500, dry weight as 15,231 and the carrying capacity as 1,800. And typically advertised dry weight and CC numbers exclude options which would erode carrying capacity even further. As mentioned above, 1,800 to 2,000 lbs of carrying capacity is probably too low for fulltiming.

I am SO disappointed to read of the way-too-low CCC of the Newport for my full-timing needs. I've been researching rigs for over a year so I'll be ready to buy when I retire in 1 year, 8 months, and 7 days. My wife and I saw this coach at the Tampa RV show last month and liked almost everything about it. I plan on adding solar panels and batteries to any unit we buy so we can boondock for extensive lengths of time, which means there's no way we could do that with this one. I am SO bummed! Tom, can't you guys have Lippert beef up the frame on this a little bit?

T

TomMontague

Thanks for the note. As always I appreciate the feedback. We are working hard to not only take some weight out but I've also done some things to increase the GVWR from 17,500 up to 18,000. This automatically gives you 500 more pounds right off the bat. Hopefully as new products, construction techniques and materials change we can continue to evolve and take out additional weight.

Keep the faith. We'll get you in a LM365. :)

Talk soon
Tom

donr827

Tom, wouldn't a stronger frame for Landmark's take care of this? I guess that this might be a problem since the BH is made on the same line.
Don