All New LM365 Newport

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess no one wants to answer my question about GVW of the LM365.

I'm sure it's because of the holidays!?

My guess is that they put back in many amenities to make the LM365 a higher-end coach. With that, comes weight. Residential fridge, higher end furniture, more cabinetry with solid wood, heavier running gear, larger TVs, etc.

In my opinion, the 365 feels more residential. To do that, I'm guessing stuff weighs more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomMontague

Correct - at this time all of the LM365's have a 17,500 GVWR.

Thanks,
Tom

porthole

Retired
I guess no one wants to answer my question about GVW of the LM365.

43' long, 13'+ high, full height front to rear - puts it up there in the toy hauler realm.

The 17,500 GVW is a number to match your tow vehicle to, but the 16,000 empty weight is something to really consider.

dave10a

dave10a, I would amagin it's because of the additional 3 feet

So 3 ft adds over 1000#'s?
Something is not adding up-- either my Land Mark was under rated or the 365's are over rated--- which is it. Or did they beef up the frame or other things that really increase the weight. I know what my trailer weighs after weighing on the CAT scales and found that it is near what Heartland claimed after adding up the options. However, I could not consider the new Landmarks unless I know the reason why the GVW has significantly increase if that is accurate. The new GVW specs put the Landamark in the same GVW world as the DRV. The DRV's GVW is from a very strong heavy frame and other building techniques. If the new Landmark was in that same class its leveling jacks and suspension would be as beefy as DRV. Something is not adding up IMHO.

T

TomMontague

The average Newport going out the door is 15,461. Each coach is weighed and can vary depending on options. Please remember the Newport is by far the biggest, longest and most feature filled coach we have in our lineup. Other coaches will be lighter in weight.

Have a a great weekend

Tom

porthole

Retired
The DRV's GVW is from a very strong heavy frame and other building techniques. If the new Landmark was in that same class its leveling jacks and suspension would be as beefy as DRV. Something is not adding up IMHO.

Similar models of the 1-1/2 baths, The DRV is shorter and wider, and almost everyone of them coming off the line has MOR/ryde IS (adds 800+ pounds or so). They have a bigger frame (15" all box tubing) and a lot of "stuff" that makes them heavy. AND there is a 3,300 pound cargo capacity with water.

DRV advertises a "dry weight" of 15,750 where the Newport actually weighed 15,670 at Urbanna.

The DRV at Hershey had a dry weight of 16,690 (as equipped) and a GVWR of 21,000. Subtract a full load of water (because some of us actually carry that water) and the DRV has 3,380 pounds of cargo capacity.
Simple math puts 16K on the axles and 5K on the pin-box for that spec, and they install MOR/ryde pin-boxes. Up until I saw one, I did not know MOR/ryde made 18K+ pin boxes.

The Newport had 983 pounds of cargo after water.

Not the same trailers and the capacities and the price reflects that. The DRV lists for $150K+
I also would not consider towing the DRV with less then a 450 pickup

(or maybe not at all with a ram or gm ;))

dave10a

I am comparing the Ashland to my present LM San Antonio. It is 1 ft longer and Heartland claims it is 1000 lbs heavier. My question is why, and I am trying to compare apples to apples. If I trade for the 2015 model I would also need a dually which does not work for me. The Big Horns do not seem to have the same weight ratings as the Land Mark while I thought they use the same frame and construction.

T

TomMontague

Standard 17.5" H range tire and 8k axles - nobody else is doing that standard.

Gen prep standard - not many doing this as a standard.

Power management system standard - more wire - nobody else doing it.

Straight roof line standard - taller slides and taller interior height

Third A/C ( option ) but most coaches are built with it.

Solid wood styles through-out. Even Montana has gone to wrapped styles

Solid maple drawer boxes through-out - NOBODY is doing this as an option or standard

Waveland sleep system - pillow top mattress and RV box spring - standard.

Residential refer standard - everyone else does it as an option which makes their brochure weights lighter.

Solid surface backsplash - not some cheap wallpaper or stick on tile boarder

47" living room tv std.
32" bedroom tv std
32" outside ent center tv option but most have it.

Privacy window trim on all windows except bathroom - EXCLUSIVE LM365 Feature

2 Oversized residential dinette chairs.

Solid surface buffet behind table - most of our competition uses wood.

Solid surface sofa tables - hidden ladder included on one side.

Solid surface CPAP compatible night stands standard - nobody else in the industry is doing that.

Ive got a house full of family and lots of little kids so I'm sure I'm forgetting something but this list can help explain some of the addition weight.

Thanks
Tom

jnspenc

BigSpenc
Well, I'm ordering a 365 Blue and pulling it with my F250 Lariat 4x4. I pull a 2011/12 Key Largo with no problems. Everyone thinks they need a dually, I say "Humbug"

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Well, I'm ordering a 365 Blue and pulling it with my F250 Lariat 4x4. I pull a 2011/12 Key Largo with no problems. Everyone thinks they need a dually, I say "Humbug"

Just out of curiosity what are the weight ratings for that 250?

dave10a

I agree that many people have a dually that is not really required. However, my trailer is at the max unless the water and wate tanks are filled and then it is over weight with my truck with all the factory suspension options. The new Landmarks would be too much for SRW trucks according to Ford. So far I am happy with my truck/trailer combination, but the new Landmarks 365 are simply too much for the new Ford, GM and Dodge 1 ton SRW trucks. So my career with the Landmarks is over because a dually will not work for me.

T

TomMontague

Lots of people pull with a single axle truck - a dual axle isn't required IMHP

bigdob24

I had a 250 Ford that was a great truck.
We bought the Big Country and was pulling it home (empty) and stopped at a Cat Scales just for fun.
I found that my truck was over the load limit , not a real big concern, then when the rear axel weight showed that I was within 200lbs of the max weight rating with the RV empty, I cringed.
I had only had the truck for less than 6 months.
When I reminded the wife we only had one payment , the truck.
After that it was an easy sell for a new dully, and the payment even dropped.
While the SRW will pull the load, I did it for a few years. I am concerned that in the event of an accident , and someone is hurt or , property damage, Law Suit city, and if they find your pulling over weight limits , you have just made there job easier.
It was a good choice, it pulls and handles the weight a lot better, but not for everyone
Be Safe

rjr6150

Lots of people pull with a single axle truck - a dual axle isn't required IMHP

Tom
Not an expert but respectfully disagree. In my opinion HL has eliminated any single axel of the current big 3 safely towing the new 365.
As you will note in my signature our setup and we are at the max for truck.

Majestic

I would have to agree with BG24. When everything is normal driving you might make do with the SRW, but really, is it worth someones life or major injury to push the max. We know from experience that the safety margin in the DRW is well worth the few extra dollars and the inconvenience of the width when not pulling. We purchased a LM for the luxury RV lifestyle, the correct tow vehicle is just part of the package. Motorhouse for $250k or complete 5'er for $150k?

Even with the DRW, the extra fuel tank, front gen set, etc., we are within 10% of legal axle rating. All in how you value the experience I guess.

Last edited: